LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

skid plates??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default skid plates??????

what do you guys recommend for skid plates?
rasta or what? ????????????
is their a good one cheaper than the rasta system

Old 04-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: skid plates??????

I am working on the same problem. I looked at Rasta. The guys from my club adviced me that Rasta makes a skid plate for the occasional off roader who has no intentions on actually using it, but rather want protection from the extremely rare miscalculation that causes you to "unintentionally" bottom out on the sill. It's ok, but it does not protectduring serious use.

Let me attach below what Gary had to say about that:

4) The Rasta's are NOT sliders, they are sill protectors. There is a BIG difference. Those Rasta's will not be able to support the weight of the LR3 without getting damaged and possibly damaging the body. One big hit on a rock and they will take damage and possibly pass it through to the body. They are good to protect the sills against rock dings and tree limbs and such if that is what you are looking for.

Bottom line is decide what your need is, and then buy the appropriate product.

Need = Protection from casual off roading hazards. The Rasta's will do fine.

Need = Protection form large rocks, boulders, trees, tree stumps, and other serious hazards. Then you need real sliders like Rover Specialties/Off Roving sell.

FYI... If you want to keep the stock look, but still want real sliders, the Rover Specialties sliders are available without the nerf bars so they will not be very noticable.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:05 PM
Winching

I thought those sliders looked a little week and ya the sliders by rover specialties look built. I am more interested in the skid plate under body protection
systems that replace the stock plastic skid plate. i am having a hard time finding options oter than rasta and i think it is asfr but i might have got that wrong
but defenitly the sliders from rover specialties are the way to go especially if you have rocky trails.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Winching

The sliders from RS actually shine in that they have REAL skid platesunder body. They actually extend from the factory sill to about a foot inside the under carriege making excellent skid plates. And if you get the ones with the nurf bars, then they extend past the sill outwards approx 9 more inches or so giving you a total of almost 2' of protection where the LR3 needs it most. I have looked and there seems to be no one else making real sliders at this time for the LR3, which I'm sure somewhat drives the price on them at the present time since there is no competition. Your looking at about 1,500 plus installation; little less if you go without nurf bars. Little pricy but they are the real deal!

Old 04-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have sold a lot of skid plates for the FJ Cruiser. People have been going crazy over them since. If you guys would like to see some off-road pictures you can visit fjcruiserforums.com

Old 04-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Get in touch with Nathon on the SCLR, he probably has more experience and knowledge on the LR3 then anyone.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Overlanding

Rasta skid plates for the LR3 will be available in about 3-4 weeks. The first set will sell with a 10% discount if anyone is interested.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Winching

I might be interested how much?

Old 04-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Winching

So you'll be making real skid plates, not just Sill protectors? Put me down on the list for interested as well, VERY interested.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Overlanding

these are real skid plates made from 5052 aluminum. They do not rust. They have service holes, no drilling required for installation. They are flexible, and about half the weight of steel. A complete set includes a front, engine, gear, radiator and transfer plates.

Quick Reply: skid plates??????