LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight transfer case leak, question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 02:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts
Default Slight transfer case leak, question.

Landy is running well, quick question for the peanut gallery

Got what looks like a very slight oil leak from the transfer case. Does not appear to be either fill or drain plug, both were changed for new ones approximately one year ago when new fluid went in. I think its coming from the front output shaft but not positive, maybe a drip or two a day, just enough to mist the front end of the gas tank and wet down the underside of t-case. Has anyone had issues with clogging the breather up top and then getting a leak develop? Putting one of Todd's diffs in tomorrow morning so it will be looked at, just wondering if anyone's had a leak there before that wasn't bad.

Old 06-01-2016, 03:17 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Check fluid level, blow out vent and wipe it all up see if it returns, or do all that and replace seal, not sure I want to guess on this

The following users liked this post:
DavC (06-03-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 11:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle

thanks Tom, she's in shop today, will check for those. Appears to be a small leak at the seam between the two halves of t-case, mechanic is going to try and clean the area up and check torque on the halve bolts.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:59 AM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

RTV seals the two halves. Similar to P38 Transfer Case. Basically need to remove transfer case and reseal. Could try putting a bunch of RTV (Right Stuff) on the exterior of the case where the leak is. This is kinda of a band-aid fix

The following users liked this post:
DavC (06-03-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 01:39 PM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Hopefully its leaking elsewhere and running to the seam

Old 06-03-2016, 11:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle

turned out to be front output shaft seal. Very slow leak for now.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:16 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same exact leak a couple of years ago. It happened after going through a mud pit. When I exited the pit, there was a strong transmission fluid type smell. A small amount of fluid was weeping out of the front output shaft. I ended up changing all three seals.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

yup that may be what it is, who knows...

Water temp and rapid cooling of that aluminum casing may just cause the slightest leak to present itself at the seals. Fluid levels are fine for now, I may just live with it until I get more money than time.

Old 01-09-2021, 02:19 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I've got a slight issue (that seems to be getting worse) regarding the transfer case breather. After being under the car on and off over the past year we noticed an a leak that was developing from on top of the transmission. After finally figuring out that it was coming from the transfer case breather (right under the windshield in the engine bay) we blew the line out to clear it. We were thinking that maybe there wasn't proper air flow, therefore not breathing correctly when hot, and ultimately causing some type of weird pressure problem and spitting it back up.
We've cleared the line 2 or 3 times (feeling air come out on both ends) but the problem only seems to be getting worse.

The T-Case oil levels have never gone down significantly (though we've topped it off when we've been messing with it) and we have now hit a wall.

Does anyone have any thoughts of what's going on here and how to fix this?

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2021, 04:59 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

Probably best to start a new post and not add onto one from years ago that is not related to your issue. But.... based on the design of the t-case it would be very unusually to have any fluids coming out of the breather, period. Its pretty much at the highest point and there is not a terribly large amount of fluid in the t-case. I would get a 6mm push-connect with some 6mm hose and extend the breather to a new location where you can observe leakage to be 100% certain. Like running the hose into the aux battery box, wrap the end in paper towel and observe. Because physically fluid should not be able to normally escape unless the vehicle is in a very extreme angle, at that point a leak would be the lesser of the concerns.

Quick Reply: Slight transfer case leak, question.