LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Snow trouble.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 10:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Snow trouble.

Another tip, how about getting some Toyo All-terrain's, they're great all round tyres, and ,suprisingly people claim that the ride is smoother and quieter

Old 04-30-2007, 12:16 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

A Nitto Grappler in a 285/60/18 is an outstanding tire for the LR3, fits well, has great traction and seem to have a long wear factor.
Mike

Old 08-17-2007, 04:29 PM
4th Gear

Stock tires are horrible in snow. I live in Denver and got stuck after a big snow storm last December. I traded in a Z71 Tahoe for the LR3 and ironically got "pulled out" with the help of a Chevy Tahoe. Stock tires also wear out quickly. Dealer told me the back tires needed to be replaced at 15000 miles due to the LR3 being out of alignment. They gave me one free and I paid for the other which was the only reason I stayed with the GY tire. I did a lot of research and found out the stock tires wear down fast. 3000 miles later needed to replace the front tires. I wish I would have just replaced all tires with new A/Ts. Plan to buy new A/T tires (Wangler Silent Armor) around the end of the year before winter and use stock tires as spares.

Anyone know if the Wangler Silent Armor last considerably longer than the Wangler stock tire?

Old 08-20-2007, 12:11 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

They have a 50k mile warranty so I would assume they do. I've had mine now for some time and don't notice any wear yet.

Old 08-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Overlanding

I was going to say to check the wear on your tires (I've seen people befuddled by their 4x4's lack of snow performance simply to find their tires are bald) but it looks like you'll be getting new ones anyway... probably the best idea.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:27 AM
4wd Low

I have had similar problems in the snow, especially DEEP snow...seems I turn off the DSC, but something is still telling the brakes to activate. It just saps the power out of the truck & overheats the brakes & the transmission. Is there a way to FULLY disable the DSC? In the winter, I do a bit of off-roading & driving on the lakes in the area and it is really annoying to have Jeeps pull me out of the snow every 50 yards....[&:]

I did change from the stock tires to the 285/60/18 Nittos, but I think that ifI could turn off the DSC completely, it would do much more!

It is really sad that this 'high-tech' $50K vehicle can't compete with a $20K pickup in the deep snow. I think that all of the electronics are a complete waste. Sorry for the rant.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:04 PM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tires, get Green Diamond Icelander's if you can fit them. Also lock your diff when on snow, it'll help.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:09 AM
Winching

Gessler, because I have learned not to assume anythingI'm going to try to clear the obvious first and hope I don't insult your inteligence. Are you sure you are turning off the DSC? Just pushing the button doesn't turn it off. Have to hold the button pushed for several seconds until the DSC light comes on the dash.
Perhaps it is me who has not payed close enough attention but the times I have played with the DSC off I did not notice it taking over the braking at all. Also, I would look into usingmud setting instead if Ice settingwhen in deep snow so the traction control will allow a lot more wheel spin. The Ice/snow setting forces you to start in 2nd gear (3rd gear when in low range) and greatly increases the sensitivity of the traction control over tires spinning, which is bad newsin deep snow.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a 2007 LR3. It has the Goodyear Wrangler H/P's. Are they any good in the snow?????

Also, I have Bridgestone Blizzak LM-25's on my E430 4-matic and the tires are awesome. I would slap the Blizzak's on the truck if I were you.

Are you in NJ? Looks like you got your LR @ Prestige in Paramus - ME TOO

Old 11-28-2007, 10:25 AM
Winching

H/P's are only "all season" tires and terrible ones at that, all the way around. Awful in the snow BTW. You need true "all terrain" tires. There's a huge selection to pick from, just make sure they're A/T tires not all season.

Quick Reply: Snow trouble.