LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Software updates through SDD

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Software updates through SDD

Hey guys, I know we have some LR techs lurking around out there and I have a question.

I broke down and bought a used JRL MongoosePro off ebay and am waiting on it to get in. Got on TOPix and setup an account so I can get to the docs and so on, dug around the site, found the link to download SDD and all the giant installs that go along with it and got it all setup. On 138.05.02 with all the pinpoint tests and VDF disk loaded.

My question is this, is updating the software in an 06 LR3 something that can be undertaken by a novice? Want to get all the updates loaded as I have not had that done in a while, but don't really feel like paying LR 150 an hour to watch a progress bar...

I am a computer guy by trade, so stuff like this doesn't really bother me to take a swing at if I can do it safely.

Are there any tricks to using SDD, anything I need to know? Or is that something I should just cough up the money to the dealer to do?

Would love to get in and at least poke around the software before my scanner gets here so I have some idea what it does... I love how the login stuff works on that... So I guess I will have to wait to see how it works until I get my scanner in and cough up 70 bux for a day of access.

Also, any idea how long I should expect to be updating stuff?

Any input anyone can offer would be great.

Thanks!

Old 06-09-2014, 02:18 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you haven't already, get yourself a minimum of a 25A battery maintainer - I think LR recommend a 50A unit. Some of those software updates take an hour to run and you really don't want to drop dead battery voltage wise during that time. It's the equivalent of screwing up a bios firmware flash by removing the power. There is "sometimes" a possibility of recovery but best not tread that path. Also, unlike your iPod or whatever, you really aren't going to get a bunch of new features. On the disco3.co.uk board, they say, wisely, if it isn't broken, leave it be...

Also bear in mind that there are some fake Mongoose units out there - if you open it up and see all the chip labels scratched away, that's a pretty good sign it is a "clone" - and they have a habit of dying when flashing.

There are plenty of "user" friendly tools out there like, Nanocom, IID, MSV2 etc that don't require a subscription and give you much of the same power that the LR tool does but probably with better support should the **** hit the fan.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:38 PM
Winching
Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

A Topix account does not give you access to SDD. There are TWO subscriptions via JLR. Topix gives you service info, wiring diagrams and bulletins. If you want SDD, you must jump through a few hoops:

1) first time buyer, must buy a "hardware kit". This includes the Panasonic CF laptop and the interface. You used to be able to choose between VCM and Mongoose, but its probably mongoose only now.
Stuff you buy second hand, already have or got off ebay won't count. If you never purchased from JLR, you must buy the hardware kit. Last time I looked, the "kit" was $3500

2) once you have the hardware kit, you MUST purchase SDD license for one full year (about $1500). You don't get to access SDD by the hour or day, you get the whole year.

I see V131 for sale on ebay all the time. This is the last year for "offline" versions, which is why its the one still being sold. I dont' know how well they will work, because you still need to do a "status file update" before it will let you program, and it may not work with such an old version.

As far as the actual programming, its not really that difficult. Once you learn to navigate SDD, you can find what you are looking for. The SDD will walk you through the steps and as long as you follow directions, you should have no issues. (it tells you when to turn key on, off, etc... It also reads existing calibration numbers and automatically chooses the newest one to install).
You do need a good power supply. NOT A BATTERY CHARGER, but a Power Supply (there is a difference)

Honestly though, its just not something, due to cost, that I would recommend for a DIYer. Find an indy who can program or see if the dealer will work you out a "deal". Since it takes longer to hook up to SDD and navigate to the programming portion, that it does to actually program most modules, you might get a discount doing several in one shot, then if you did them one at a time.

Also, food for thought, most manufacturers besides BMW recommend only programming to fix a complaint and not as a "maintenance" item.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:54 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LR Techniker, but I thought that was what the "Independent Module Programming" subscription was on TOPIx? And if not, why is there an option to login to Topix in SDD? That said, I have not gone through checkout on it, but it will let you select a day, or week or month or year of access to the programming side. Already got the document/tsb sub.

Am aware of the risk of the knock-off programmer... Here's to hoping! It was cheap enough to be reasonable but hopefully expensive enough to be real. Will crack it open when I get it and see.

As for the old adage of don't fix it if it ain't broke. I do agree, but I am having some odd issues here and there. For example, as noted in another thread, some really odd behavior out of the radio, the on wheel buttons for the radio, cruise and voice command sometimes wig out and do random things when you press them. Would also like to be able to reset the service timer to get that damn message off my dash. Now, I am not suggesting hooking up and reloading every piece of software in the car, but i would probably reload all the radio code and any updates for bluetooth and things like that. Dont think I could even bring myself to try and apply a ECU or Suspension update...

Basically I am in it for better tools to deal with small/simple stuff myself. And to have a better idea of what's wrong when I go in to get something major worked on. The dealers always want to just replace everything rather than trying to fix it...

Would not have though about the power supply... What's the difference between the power supply and a typical charger?

Old 06-10-2014, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by aBs0lut30
Would not have though about the power supply... What's the difference between the power supply and a typical charger?
Most chargers these days will shut off when they decided the battery is fully charged. This could (maybe) cause a funky surge. There is quite lengthy discussion of un-bricking the BCU of an LR3 after a failed update, so it's probably not worth the risk.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:17 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Clean vs Dirty

A power supply is supposed to create clean spike free stable power; a battery charger, whatever it takes to get a battery charged and who cares about the transistors.

Well that is the theory anyway. I imagine a cheap power supply and and expensive battery charger provide about the same quality of amps.

A battery charger however should run closer to 14 volts whereas a 12 volt power supply should provide clean amps in the rated quantity for extended periods of time - like 100%, whereas battery chargers may have duty cycles - 25 % on, 75% off, that sort of thing.

I spent about three months and quite a few dollars fooling around with various eBay Mongoose units before I purchased a BlackBox Nanocom Evolution. The Evo is challenge enough but it does work, plus all the software is available and basically free for the price of the Evo.

The Evo was the correct choice but fooling with the Mongoose and SDD was a good education and hence not wasted effort; also something changed with the Mongoose. A year ago, the Mongoose seemed to at least facilitate changing of the CCF, now nothing seemed to work any longer.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:23 AM
Winching
Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by aBs0lut30
LR Techniker, but I thought that was what the "Independent Module Programming" subscription was on TOPIx? And if not, why is there an option to login to Topix in SDD?
JLR does offer one other option, which is the EPA mandated "Emissions Module Programming". I know its a cheaper option, made available to technicians to meet the requirements set forth by the "right to repair act". However, manufacturers consider "emissions modules" to be strictly the Engine control module and the Transmission control module. All other modules are not accessible with this subscription. I assume it is what you are referring too. I don't know the details of that subscription because I need access to more than just those two modules.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:05 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stmcknig
If you haven't already, get yourself a minimum of a 25A battery maintainer - I think LR recommend a 50A unit. Some of those software updates take an hour to run and you really don't want to drop dead battery voltage wise during that time. It's the equivalent of screwing up a bios firmware flash by removing the power. There is "sometimes" a possibility of recovery but best not tread that path. Also, unlike your iPod or whatever, you really aren't going to get a bunch of new features. On the disco3.co.uk board, they say, wisely, if it isn't broken, leave it be...

Also bear in mind that there are some fake Mongoose units out there - if you open it up and see all the chip labels scratched away, that's a pretty good sign it is a "clone" - and they have a habit of dying when flashing.

There are plenty of "user" friendly tools out there like, Nanocom, IID, MSV2 etc that don't require a subscription and give you much of the same power that the LR tool does but probably with better support should the **** hit the fan.
Hi, I was wondering would this product be adequate to run software updates with via SDD?

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/p...engine-starter

Thanks.

Old 04-21-2015, 02:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

the Mongoose will most likely set off your virus programs, as it's Chinese, and they plan to infect your computer. It can be made to work, but it is a huge hassle to make it work, and they don't tell you software SDD is not included but necessary. Best bet is to pay someone who has access to all the latest stuff for major updates, and stick with someone you can use to clear faults, flash an ECU if in a pinch and reset service intervals.

Good Luck with the project, keep us posted.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:14 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mongoose cable works fine with the SDD software. I haven't encounter any problems as of yet. Reading fault codes and clearing them is not a problem. I have a TDV8 RRS and have had DRL fitted. I want to use the SDD software to enable them when I start the car. I understand that a power supply is required to run updates as it uses a lot of battery power. I was wondering if the power supply be adequate for the job on the link below. It gives continuous charge 25-38 amps.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/bc410e-battery-charger-engine-starter?da=1&TC=Mob2MainSite

Quick Reply: Software updates through SDD