LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sorry... Another Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 08:48 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sorry... Another Tire Question

I need to replace the tires on my wife's LR3 and have read all or most of the threads on tires. Whew... there's a lot of them.
I was sold on the Goodyear Forteras w/Silent Armor based on what I read. Comments supported a much smoother and quiter ride, and one poster said how good the traction is based on the "snowflake icon" certification.
Well, when I went to Goodyear to make the buy, I find there are two Forteras the SIlent Armors and the Triple Tread. It is the Triple Tread that has the snowflake certification and the better traction rating: 10 vs 8 in dry traction; 10 vs 8 in wet traction; and 10 vs 7 in snow traction.
I live in MN, so I want the safest tire for my wife's LR3, but I'm not sure how big a difference in traction there is with these two tires versus the tradeoff in noise/ride.
Any comments from someone with the Triple Tread and anyone with the Silent Armors???
I greatly appreciate the help!!!

Old 11-20-2008, 11:20 AM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Sorry... Another Tire Question

You either missread the threads or misunderstood about the silent armours. It may be in part my fault since I usually talk about SIlent Armours without much clarification assuming people would know this. The Forteras do come in the Silent Armour type but that is not the tire the threads about Silent Armour refer to. They refer to the REAL Wrangler Silent Armours. The forteras are "All Season" tires. The Wrangler Silent Armours are "All Terrain" tires. So make sure when you go to the tire shop or do your research you enquire about the correct tires, GY Wrangler Silent Armours. If you expect snow or ice where you live, You will be VERY happy with the performance of these tires, both summer and winter driving. Look them up on tire rack and do a side by side comparison to anything else out there. You'll see why we like them so much.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:14 PM
2nd Gear

OK... that helps. I never got the Wrangler part. Probably because when I searched on Goodyear, I input SUV. When you plug in Truck, you get Wrangler.

So, it looks like the Wrangler w/Silent Armor gives both the traction and ride that is an either/or with the Forteras.

That's the ticket. I'll call Goodyear right now.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:19 PM
3rd Gear

After reading all the posts on the LR forums and doing the research I finally decided on the Michellen LTX AT2 265/65/18 They are amazing tires and I am so glad that's what I bought.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Winching

They seem to be very good tires. A lot of people who read these forums are looking for something that will give them decent traction off road as well and the tread design on the LTX AT2 is obviously meant to be a dedicated, very quiet and smooth, highway tire. For anyone not looking to off road, these could very well be the perfect tire. Do they come with an early wear warranty? I'm taking notes for my list of tires I REALLY like.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:36 PM
3rd Gear

I was one of the many on this forum asking about tires last Summer. I ended up going with the Goodyear Wranger Silent Armours (265/65/18) and they are great. I spoke to Land Rover about it...and they were trying to steer me away due to the 'sensor' inside the wheel well. So, just to be safe, I had them "relocate" it for about $60. Haven't had any issues. The tires are great. Quiet. And can definitely support the LR3. Had LR3 on a 45 degree with full weight supported by the left-side tires. No issues.

Last edited by shauncw; 02-23-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:08 AM
8th Gear
Default Tire size

Can I assume you've had no tire rubbing problems? What sensor was the dealer referring to?

Old 03-04-2009, 10:32 AM
7th Gear
Default Follow up

People never seem to follow up on forums...and I'm really not all that smart. Can I replace our 255/60/R18 tires on our 05 LR3 SE with 265/65/R18 Wrangler Silent Armors without injuring the car or making it unstable? Does anyone run 265/65/R18 tires on their LR3 with any problems? It seems that people always say "it shouldn't be an issue", then someone posts that they are ordering the tires and excited, then nothing.... no "WOW that was a bad idea", or "They work great no issues!!"

if anyone has the facts, please share them with me. Thanks in advance!

Sam

Old 03-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you may need to relocate the sensor wire drivers side front 10 minuts and a zip tie and you will be fine. you want the wire on top of the frame not the side.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Winching

Everyone I know who is running 265/65/18 are doing so with zero problems. As a matter of fact, that is exactly the next size I am buying after putting my current 265/60 18 on my wife's Disco. The only size that risks rubbin and getting tangled with the wiring harness that runs inside the driver-side tire well is the 285/60/18 and larger. I still will relocate the harness to be safe, as stated before, a self tapping screw and some zip tie will do the job nicely in under 10 minutes.

Turn your tires all the way to the left and the look inside the wheel well in front/driver side. You will notice that the inside of the front/left tire has almost no clearance with the harness that was placed there, even with stock tires you can hardly fit your fingers in there. Luckily there's enough slack to make relocating it a snap!

Quick Reply: Sorry... Another Tire Question