LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 06:34 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Steering issue

So these past few months I've been living with a steering shake at speeds above 50mph. After a checkup found out the inner tie-rods were shot along with warped rotors. So replaced that with new inner and outer tie rods. I had a knocking noise when quickly turning steering left and right. After replacement the steering shake has gone down but still there along with the knocking sound when quickly turning wheel side by side even when stationary. Im thinking theres something wrong with my steering rack but i could be wrong. Any ideas on what i should look for?

thanks 🙏

Old 04-17-2020, 07:09 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 735 Likes on 617 Posts

Check the sway bar links, they can cause odd noises if they are bad and they love to go bad on these trucks. For the shake, could be a caliper sticking slightly or simply an unbalanced wheel. How does the steering respond to input, meaning if you turn the steering wheel is there immediate movement or the clunk first?

Old 04-17-2020, 07:22 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Check the sway bar links, they can cause odd noises if they are bad and they love to go bad on these trucks. For the shake, could be a caliper sticking slightly or simply an unbalanced wheel. How does the steering respond to input, meaning if you turn the steering wheel is there immediate movement or the clunk first?
i have not checked the sway bar links yet. When i changed the brakes i didnt notice any uneven wear on pads and seemed fine other than the warped rotors. Steering input is fine other than a clunking noise. If i just turn to one side theres no noise. Only when i turn to one side and immediately turn the other way.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:27 PM
Camel Trophy

Have you raised the wheels off the ground and rocked then at 12/6 and 9/3? Work then over and see if they themselves have any play. Also with both in the air you can have someone work the steering with the engine off as you peek around underneath which can really help narrow things down maybe. If there is no clunk with wheels up then it has to be something that is under stress with the weight, like control arm bushings. The lower arms can clunk if they are warn. Easy to check with a pry bar when under there.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:53 PM
Mudding

Have you raised the wheels off the ground and rocked then at 12/6 and 9/3? Work then over and see if they themselves have any play. Also with both in the air you can have someone work the steering with the engine off as you peek around underneath which can really help narrow things down maybe. If there is no clunk with wheels up then it has to be something that is under stress with the weight, like control arm bushings. The lower arms can clunk if they are warn. Easy to check with a pry bar when under there.
i did check for play but couldnt find any. However i did not check with a pry bar. Can worn put lower control arms cause steering wheel shakes? I do sometimes hear a clunk when going over bumps.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:54 PM
Camel Trophy

I am not sure if its one of the symptoms but if they are pretty worn I am sure they can.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:56 PM
Mudding

I am not sure if its one of the symptoms but if they are pretty worn I am sure they can.
i see. I will check for anything loose under there. Then go for a wheel balance too if that helps.

Old 04-18-2020, 03:58 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

From the sounds of what you are saying, I would check the ball joints on the suspension arm.

Old 04-18-2020, 01:32 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Globetrotter448
From the sounds of what you are saying, I would check the ball joints on the suspension arm.
ball joints were replaced on LCA. I took the arm out to press new bushings and balljoint in but i couldnt press the bushings So Only managed to replace the ball joint. Apparently no one has the tools to press bushings in for this arm and none of the rental tools fit.

Old 04-22-2020, 04:44 PM
Winching
Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts

The cost for complete control arms have come way down over the last few years, you can always just swap control arms ( just like most indy shops do.)
But, if you are like me, and want to press in new bearings and ball joints, you just have to break down and buy the tool. In theory it should pay for itself in just a few bushing changes.

I have a complete set of 8 control arms with new bushings and 2 rear knuckles with new bushings (LR calls them rear ball joints) and new bearings on the self. As one of my rovers needs them I put them on. Then I wait for sales to buy new bushings/ball joints, press them in at my leisure and them put them on the self ready for the next car.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Steering issue