LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 06:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

That means at some time you purchased replacement arms

Old 04-22-2020, 06:49 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That was the biggest mistake i made. Not buying the whole arm. I thought it wouldn't be that hard to press them in but turns out none of the bushing adapters fit. Lesson learned.i will have to order arms pretty soon. Looks like thats the first step of diagnosing the steering wheel shake.

Old 04-23-2020, 06:01 AM
Winching
Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Warehousing parts

Originally Posted by Globetrotter448
That means at some time you purchased replacement arms
YES I did. actually it was because I first replaced all of the bushings with the orange poly bushings. BIG mistake, so,I saved up and bought all 8 Original LR control arms. The 2007 HSE they were going on got flooded before I could change them out, so a new plan to keep the other three Rovers running was hatched.

If I did not already have a complete set of control arms and all the bushing tools sitting around, I would but a complete arm.

Jeff

Old 04-27-2020, 03:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi, when you're driving along (especially at speed) do you find that the car wanders a little and you have to keep correcting where it's going?

Old 06-17-2020, 03:35 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alphamale
Hi, when you're driving along (especially at speed) do you find that the car wanders a little and you have to keep correcting where it's going?
This is currently happening with my 06 HSE. Recently replaced the lower control arms and tie rods. I have some sway bar bushings on order and hoping this corrects the issue. Anything else I should be looking for?

Old 06-17-2020, 08:19 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rufflyer
YES I did. actually it was because I first replaced all of the bushings with the orange poly bushings. BIG mistake, so,I saved up and bought all 8 Original LR control arms. The 2007 HSE they were going on got flooded before I could change them out, so a new plan to keep the other three Rovers running was hatched.

If I did not already have a complete set of control arms and all the bushing tools sitting around, I would but a complete arm.

Jeff
Sounds like the AB orange poly bushes? What didn't you like about them? Just curious... I did my control arms a couple of years ago, won't be needing new ones for awhile but those orange things kinda look like they should work very well. AB claims they are superior to the factory ones.

Old 06-17-2020, 10:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by denver6161
This is currently happening with my 06 HSE. Recently replaced the lower control arms and tie rods. I have some sway bar bushings on order and hoping this corrects the issue. Anything else I should be looking for?
Don't forget that play in the steering column joint, tyres, wheel alignment and road camber will also do this too you

Old 06-18-2020, 06:33 AM
Winching
Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Over
Sounds like the AB orange poly bushes? What didn't you like about them? Just curious... I did my control arms a couple of years ago, won't be needing new ones for awhile but those orange things kinda look like they should work very well. AB claims they are superior to the factory ones.
Solid, too solid. I may as well have had Heim joints off the race car bolted on the truck. I felt EVERY bump in the road and by felt, I mean a solid knock. It rode more like a hard core off road Jeep than a Land Rover. I only had them on for a few months and hated every trip I took in it. I am not really sure it made that much of a difference off road either but then I am not a hard core rock crawler.

All that said, I would recommend replacing the big bushing on the front lower control arm with one as they take a good beating and hold up real well, and you still have all the other rubber bushing to keep the ride quality of a Land Rover.

Just my experience, you may have a different need for your Rover.

Jeff

Old 06-18-2020, 07:29 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 735 Likes on 617 Posts

Poly bushings suck. They are great for the people who sell em and the suckers that fall for marketing, but other than they they are not ideal in most vehicles. Especially a heavy truck like an LR3. Bushings have a VERY vital roll which is to "absorb" stress between suspension parts and the frame. The stiffer the bushing the less suspension parts can give and more stress is put into the frame mounts and hardware. There have been plenty of times where polly bushings have resulted in bent suspension parts or cracks in frame welds. This is nothing new at all except maybe to those suckered by marketing who live in a world of denial. Do they have their place? Sure, if you have a vehicle for the track, etc. Even my BMW V12 had spherical metal bushings for the front lateral control arms. But with a truck as heavy as the LR3, I would rather have bushings do as designed at factory. Shocker to most, but they sorta know what they are doing. Yes the bushings do seem to fail early - then get a bushing kit and just replace em every 70-100k miles. Just like any other maintenance item.

Last edited by DakotaTravler; 06-18-2020 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:15 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. That makes me wonder what the red ones they had were like. Those were supposed to be even stiffer than the orange ones. Probably felt like the control arms were welded to the frame.

Quick Reply: Steering issue