LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering wheel wear spot!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 06:18 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: steering wheel wear spot!!!!

I picked up my Rover today and I like the texture of the new steering wheel much better then the old one. The old steering wheel felt slightly softer and a little sticky. The new steering wheel feels a bit harder and the leather has more texture. The steering wheel itself is the exact same as my old one. I had the ipod dock installed as well!

Old 09-17-2008, 12:40 PM
4wd Low

mine is at the dealer now, I too have the same spot! I didnt think they would cover it but I will deffinitely ask now!

Thanks!

Old 09-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Overlanding

I was surprised as well when mine was covered. I think we were lucky because some people were turned down.

Old 09-18-2008, 05:41 AM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your dealer wont replace it I would contact LR USA. It seems shady for them not to replace it. I doubt the dealerships have taken it uppon themself to repace it for no charge.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:31 AM
4wd Low

I just had my LR3 serviced yesterday and because of this post I asked about replacing my steering wheel! And to my suprise, they said NO PROBLEM. A new one is on order and should be here in 3-5 days they said. Thanks LRF![sm=icon_cheers.gif][sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 10-04-2008, 12:40 PM
3rd Gear

I have the exact same issue on my '06 HSE. Started across the entire top of the wheel and has recently crept to the left side. I'll be checking on that warranty this week.

My battery just went dead too. It's only about 3 years old...is that normal for battery life?

Old 10-04-2008, 10:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The material is prone to wearing easily. I have replaced several of them for that issue.
It all depends on your method of gripping/steering. It is a warrantied item.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:28 AM
4wd Low

you should note ... the air bag cover is not part of the steering wheel. I only requested a steering wheel and they did not replace the air bag cover, when i went to pick it up they said again. no problem we will get one on order! this is good but it sucks that I have to take it in again.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:41 PM
1st Gear

wow! I have the same wear spot on my 05 that I bought used last Nov. with 28K miles. I just thought it was basic wear and tear and didn't even think about what caused it...but it feels like a chemical burn or sun burn leather. I will definatley ask my dealer for a replacement under my extended warranty. I don't think I would mind paying a $100 deductible for a nice new st. wheel.

Great post.

Old 10-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Overlanding

The spot comes from the previous driver who drove with their hands at that position. The oil rubs on the oil of the wheel. I had the same problem on the side of my steering wheel and I know it was from my hand and had the wheel replaced. I then decided to have a piano black wood and leather steering wheel instead and I am more than happy with it.

Quick Reply: steering wheel wear spot!!!!