LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Leak/Water Ingress

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014 | 02:11 PM
|
5th Gear
Default Sunroof Leak/Water Ingress

I have a 2005 LR3. The hose that drains from the sunroof is disconnected on the front right hand side. I used the technical bulletin attached an need help with number 5.

1. Turn the wheels to the fully left lock position.
NOTE: GTR lookup sequence is as follows:
GTR Home > NAS > Service Information/ LA LR3/2006> Workshop Manuals > Discovery 3/LR3
2005 Workshop Manual > Bookmark "Body and Paint/Body and Paint/501-08 Exterior Trim and
Ornamentation" > Link "Fender moulding (76.43.54)"
2. Refer to GTR Workshop Manual Section 76.43.54 and partially
release the left-hand front fender molding.
3. Partially release the left-hand front wheel arch lining, to gain
access to the roof opening panel drain tube. (Figure 7)
4. Verify that the drain tube is protruding through the hole in the
body.
5. If the drain tube is not protruding perform the following:
NOTE: GTR lookup sequence is as follows:
GTR Home > NAS > Service Information/ LA LR3/2006>
Workshop Manuals > Discovery 3/LR3 Workshop Manual >
Bookmark "Electrical Distribution/418-00" > Link "Central Junction Box (CJB) (86.70.56)"
• Refer to GTR Workshop Manual Section 86.70.56 and remove the CJB to gain access to the
sunroof panel drain tube.
• Connect and secure the drain tube through the hole in the body.
• Check the valve of the roof opening panel drain tube can be fully opened. (Figure 5)
• If the valve can not be opened, cut as required to permit full opening. (Figure 5)

Old 09-27-2014 | 05:36 PM
Baja

Guessing they are talking bout removing the kick panel and wiring behind to access the drain through a hole in the body

Or remove wheel well and access from there

This is apparently common to lr3 , water comes in pass kick panel and eventually shorts all the wiring there

Old 09-27-2014 | 06:30 PM
|
5th Gear

Yes, that is what a need to do. Does anybody have directions?

Old 10-04-2014 | 08:13 PM
Baja

You figure this out? Mine leaks in the 05 bad floor was soaked in down pour today on pass side

Old 10-05-2014 | 09:45 AM
Baja

ok I have the drivers wheel well out and see nothing, now I poured water on the sunroof and it comes running out of the a pillar how do I get the a pillar cover off? pulling does not seem to do it don't want to break it, guessing the drains are unhooked at the sunroof

Old 10-05-2014 | 10:42 AM
Baja

ok think I got this fixed

open sunroof

pull door weatherstrip on side with wet floor, pull kick panel

remove a pillar / airbag cover, pop off the plastic tab that says airbag it hides a torx bolt then the panel lifts off, you can now see the bag, wiring, and drain tube , be sure tube and wiring is in the proper clips mine was not

pour water in the front tray part look for water to come out of the a pillar onto your floor or properly draining outside at bottom front of door

if it comes pouring down inside drain is clogged.

pull sunvisor
rest of the door weatherstrip for both doors this side
and b pillar covers

both door grab handles on that side in ceiling

gently pull down headliner, this will give just enough access to reach in and remove drain

blow out tube with compressed air, reattach, pour water in the sunroof it should now drain onto ground, if so reassemble

if you have the pass side down while in there take the proper size E torx and retighten the keyless remote receiver 2 bolts, it is in the ceiling pass side just in front of the 2nd sunroof, these bolts ground the unit to the roof for antennae reception and are known to come loose and cause remote issues per my dealer tech friend, water in the pass kick can also cause issues

The following users liked this post:
SteveTheRover (12-07-2015)
Old 10-05-2014 | 12:20 PM
1st Gear

is there any way you can post few pictures of the steps you have mentioned? I am having leak issue with LR3 sunroof and I am trying to fix it myself. Thanks

Old 10-05-2014 | 12:31 PM
Baja

I actually just finished the drivers side, the floor was not wet there but the drain tube was definitely clogged, my suggestion is if water is coming in take apart and blow out both drains, this was the same issue on my d1 and also the same issue on my dads old s10 jimmy, tubes are big but does not seem to take much to clog em

sorry I did not take pics just follow what I posted above it is simple to do

Old 10-08-2014 | 09:32 AM
Baja

Well after last nights heavy rain my floor is soaked again, ran the hose on the roof and I see the water pouring out of the drains onto the ground, it is not pouring out of the a pillar like before

I am starting to think the a/c drains are clogged overflowing the box into the floor, had this problem with the d1

Old 10-08-2014 | 11:46 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by TOM R
Well after last nights heavy rain my floor is soaked again, ran the hose on the roof and I see the water pouring out of the drains onto the ground, it is not pouring out of the a pillar like before

I am starting to think the a/c drains are clogged overflowing the box into the floor, had this problem with the d1
Just went through this, except step one I simply pulled the engine air intake vent cover on fender, pull rubber boot out and bam - you can see the sunroof drain. Blow air in there and listen at sunroof (w/ open) and if it's blowing you should be fine. Double check by pulling kick panel inside and trim and looking for leaks. Also get a good view by dropping glove box. Mine was dry so I knew I was screwed - something else.

I ordered the exterior a pillar trim TSB sealing kit but I don't think that's the main issue.

After some other research I came across the windshield rubber cowl sealing issue. Sure enough my cowl is expanded and not sealed against the windshield on passenger side above the intake for the HVAC which sits under there.

Verified it this AM after rain storm by dropping glove box and pulling air filter, outer side of air filter was damp and there were a few drops of water in the plastic filter housing... bam! First actual evidence of water other than wet carpet.

Apparently a new cowl fixes this but I'm waiting on a pillar TSB seal kit first since you have to pop those off to replace cowl anyways and I don't want to break the new clips. After looking at cowl, I might just run a bead of black RTV and press it against windshield (masked off) with duct tape till it dries... probably a better seal than the new one and I'll save $100 on new cowl (which is actually cheaper than I thought.)

Anyways don't let the sunroof distract you too bad - as a tech I can tell you, just verify that it's intact (maybe double check with good flashlight with trim off, pour water in a few times) and move on. There's so much drama about sunroof drains (especially after a decade of horror stories with everyones DII) but I think the LR3 might be less susceptible.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Leak/Water Ingress