LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Leak/Water Ingress

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014 | 03:37 PM
Baja

Thanks, the sunroof was part of the problem but only part since the drains were clogged, and water would pour down the pillar and onto the console/dash that's resolved now for the rest

Old 10-09-2014 | 07:54 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by TOM R
Thanks, the sunroof was part of the problem but only part since the drains were clogged, and water would pour down the pillar and onto the console/dash that's resolved now for the rest
Cool - I would definitely jump on the rest of it now just to be safe though. I pulled some of the carpet and trim up this morning and really didn't like what I saw from the rains Tuesday evening, everything is still wet.. I swear the LR3 is doing some funky things. This morning I inserted key and turned it and nothing happened (just stayed at idiot light check / system check - no click or anything).. really weird. Took key out and tried again and it worked like new. Guessing maybe key fob security read error or something? But still.. last night while driving I look over and my nav was unlocked (like accepted the warning message) and was in off-road mode.

I'm going to blow out the wire channel on pas side today with compressed air and leave everything open - do A pillar and cowl fix, and use a hose to double check... it's supposed to rain on and off Fri-Sun here so.

Old 10-09-2014 | 08:07 AM
Baja

Yup supposed to rain next 3 days here, wife's radio can be on but no sound, everything works just no sound like muted then will return

Old 10-09-2014 | 03:44 PM
Baja

ok I pulled both pillar covers and cowel, I sealed the deflector in the cowel , and sealed that area of the cowel gasket to the windshield

I sealed around all the clip holes in both a pillars so I can rule mall that out if I have more water ingress

it is funny both the lr3 I have sitting here have the bottom windshield seal bowed up just above the hvac intake

pulled the cabin filter and removed the biggest mouse nest I have ever seen in a car guess 4/5 years of sitting will do that

Old 10-09-2014 | 03:48 PM
Baja

btw I was able to remove the cowel without pulling the pillars, I am not sure you would get it back in

how do you remove the air intake in the fender?

Old 10-09-2014 | 04:00 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by TOM R
btw I was able to remove the cowel without pulling the pillars, I am not sure you would get it back in

how do you remove the air intake in the fender?
It just pulls out, I believe tops are clips and bottoms are hooks (2 each side) - you may have to lift up / down a little.

Glad you got everything figured out and sealed up! Can you tell me what it looked like under the cowl? And the path water takes into HVAC? There is a water deflector? I attempted to seal the cowl today but I don't have much faith. I taped it BUT I think it still pulled away before it dried under there.

Took a pillars off and dealer already had cut off the locator peg, put new clips in AND used RTV to seal the clips so clearly this has been an issue with this vehicle for years, which kinda scares me (not about fixing it, but more about the water inside.. )

To make matters worse, when I went to start it at lunch.. nadda, just like this morning. There was a click when I rotate key.. did it like 10 times and nothing. Waited 5 min and tried again.. starter worked perfect.

I guess starter solenoid contacts.. I can get one for $101 but it looks like a HUGE PITA job relatively speaking.

Old 10-09-2014 | 05:18 PM
Baja

Pegs were broke off both covers, glued them into hole in metal

Cowel drains into both fenders, hvac intake is raised and recessed but I ran water on the glass can see how water can run down the windshield and run back to it , there is a deflector to block direct rain coming in , it is just clipped to the cowel cover, I sealed the crap out of it, here's a few picspics

Name:  IMG_20141009_143341_zpslxaipgri.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  90.4 KB

Name:  IMG_20141009_143350_zpshalxrsam.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  144.4 KB

Old 10-09-2014 | 05:20 PM
Baja

Btw that hvac scoop has 2 holes like something is missing so....

You got a pic from inside behind that fender vent?

Last edited by TOM R; 10-09-2014 at 06:06 PM.
Old 10-10-2014 | 06:49 AM
|
5th Gear

I will make a video today it tomorrow to show you want I'm doing to fix the leak.

Old 10-10-2014 | 07:39 AM
Baja

Any idea where the hvac drains are? Under the body

Quick Reply: Sunroof Leak/Water Ingress