LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Fault - Bump Stops

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2020, 09:24 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Fault - Bump Stops

Hey guys,
So, I started getting the odd amber suspension fault while driving a few weeks ago. Came on in the middle of a drive on the freeway. Pulled over, turned the truck off, let it readjust. Went back to normal and was fine. Did that I think twice over the course of 3 weeks or so.
Otherwise, the suspension always worked fine, it would lower and raise as expected. Would always self-level when I'd start it up, etc.
Yesterday I was just driving over to the store when I threw another amber suspension fault -- but before I could even get pulled over to clear it and restart it, it changed to RED suspension fault 'max speed 30 mph' code, and it dropped down to the bump stops.
I haven't been able to get it resolved, and am just starting to realize what I'm in for here, potentially.
I don't hear the compressor anymore when I turn the vehicle on.
It seems like it could be a compressor issue or potentially a relay, since it was working fine and then just failed right while I was driving it?
I'm kind of at a loss for how to go about it. I thought these air suspensions were pretty cool at first, but I'm now debating whether I should just convert it to coils rather than put any money into fussing with the EAS.
Thanks in advance for insight / quick fix possibilities / how to save money, etc. Timing couldn't be worse, of course. 😅

Old 09-13-2020, 09:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

It should not self-level at startup, at least not a very noticeable amount. So if the compressor was running for a while in addition to its normal duties - and combined with age - then your compressor may be dead. Of course check the fuses and the compressor relay which you can swap with any other for testing. But for a proper diagnosis, codes help a lot more.

Old 09-13-2020, 10:48 AM
Overlanding

Will check those and report back. Thanks DakotaTravler!

Old 09-13-2020, 11:06 AM
Camel Trophy

I will add that it could be other things, like height sensors. One could have been failing then now failed totally, causing an out-of-range fault. Thats a hard fault that generally does not let the compressor fire up. Again, codes help but you need something that can read Rover specific ones.

Old 09-13-2020, 03:23 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
It should not self-level at startup, at least not a very noticeable amount. So if the compressor was running for a while in addition to its normal duties - and combined with age - then your compressor may be dead. Of course check the fuses and the compressor relay which you can swap with any other for testing. But for a proper diagnosis, codes help a lot more.
it does “level” from the access height to normal height though, correct?

Old 09-13-2020, 04:26 PM
Camel Trophy

It should not. If set to access height it will resume that the next morning. If it’s dropping to that on it’s own overnight, then it’s not access height but a leak.

Old 09-13-2020, 04:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

If the vehicle has not been driven for a while (a day or so) some leveling at start-up is normal, especially given the age of the vehicles. If the adjustment is considerable, then there's a leak somewhere in the air suspension. If set to access height, and locked in access height, the vehicle will stay there after shut-off and restart. If lowered and not locked in access height, then switched off, I think it would go back to normal height (but I can't remember - though happy to check if you need confirmation).

Doesn't your compressor run at all? Worth checking the relay but given that you had previous faults and that these will be stored in the relevant ECU you'd need to get those read in the first instance.

Old 09-13-2020, 04:50 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
It should not. If set to access height it will resume that the next morning. If it’s dropping to that on it’s own overnight, then it’s not access height but a leak.
Not trying to thread jack, apologies but I'm still learning a lot about how this system all works together, but I can say mine raises about 2-3" in the front and back each morning or when cranking it up after work. I was under the impression that the EAS system will lower the car to access height when not in use, then increase to normal ride height when cranked. It's not supposed to do that? Why then during leak down troubleshooting its recommended to pull the EAS fuse?

Old 09-13-2020, 06:14 PM
Camel Trophy

@ adamw412 No, a working system will never lower to access height unless commanded to do so. If its raising that much, you have a leak either in a bag(s) or more likely the valve blocks which bleed air into the gallery which itself is not always air tight, so it all leaks out. The fuse recommendation is because there is air stored in the reservoir and the system will adjust after 2 hours of being parked then again at 6 hours (or something like that, I would have to look it up). Pull the fuse stops any adjustments while the truck is off.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:17 PM
Overlanding

Tested the relay and fuse - nothing, still getting the same suspension fault do not exceed 30mph message.
My rig definitely levels out a bit after I start it from overnight, you can see it left and right, front and back, even. It always seemed a pretty natural process to me -- pumping up to normal height and evening out the load, etc.
I guess that means I have slow leaks in all 4 shocks.... Awesome.
I'm seriously debating converting over to coils and just not even worrying about trying to diagnose the compressor / sensors / air leaks in the EAS.
I could really use some wisdom and advice here, boys... This is going to cost me basically all my savings right now to get this done, and I'm right in wildfire hazard zone in Oregon... I need my rig to be reliable right now.
Thanks a lot.

Quick Reply: Suspension Fault - Bump Stops