LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Fault Normal Height Only.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2024 | 07:57 AM
|
Rock Crawling
Default Suspension Fault Normal Height Only.

Hi.Suspension Fault Normal Height only.
Mechanic Scans it and everything comes up Connectivity Network Failure.
He checked lines and Air Struts for leaks..no leaks.
Valve block no leaks.
He looked at a forum and they say it is probably Valve Block.
The rear of the car seems inflated kind of high.
Any suggestions please.Thank you.
​​​​​​

Old 10-03-2024 | 07:45 PM
Camel Trophy

Without codes it is a guess. It very well could be a valve block, could be a weak compressor, faulty compressor relay (not getting enough juice through), a clogged compressor dryer, or even a bad calibration etc, etc. Typically you get the fault if you have a bad leak (say at a strut) or a compressor that can not keep up. If it happens when driving, then I put money on a strut leaking. They will often not leak too bad when stationary but as the rubber bladder moves and folds on itself it can dump a lot of air. Example would be my daily, had that issue and put two new OEM struts up front. Was not a huge issue when driving unless I was in off-road height, then I would get that fault because the leak was much worse with extra height and the off-road bouncing around.

As for a calibration issue, if your calibration is off the truck can find it hard to level correctly and you can get faults. If the rear seems high, then maybe that could be the only issue. You need to measure from bottom of wheel arch to center of the hub. Front should read 465mm and rear 485mm. I would park the truck at night and pull the fuse (engine bay, I think location 26) and see how it looks in the morning.

Old 10-04-2024 | 06:47 AM
|
Rock Crawling

UPDATE INFO
Thank you.
Why would Scanner have network connection failure issues ?
The car has 230,000 miles the front air struts were changed less than two years ago but not rear.
I wish codes would came up.
**Upon turning the car on the front lifts up as usual..(rear always seems up) then compressor seems to just keep running when it shouldn't be.
When Compressor stops fault lights go on dash and I smell burning.
What do you think Dakota?

Last edited by Athana; 10-04-2024 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-06-2024 | 05:43 PM
Camel Trophy

Try a different scanner maybe. Where the replacement struts OEM? If aftermarket, especially inexpensive ones, then two years is a good run. I think the compressor time limit is two minutes? I could be wrong, but I recall a time limit. Again, need proper codes from a reader that can read Rover codes so the specific air suspension faults can be listed. I already went over the suspected issues above. Did you replace the relay?

Old 10-06-2024 | 09:38 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Front Struts were OEM I made sure same make as what was in there lasted 200,000 miles.
Ah a different scanner he has one for sure.
He changed Valve Block today but did not solve it.
No did not change Relay..next guess was Compressor and was going to take it in to lift
and take cover off to see what Compressor is in there Hitachi or AMK (Car was made January 2006.
I know Relay needs to be changed when Compressor is changed ..should I do that first before compressor ?
If no good will I need yet another Relay when Compressor goes in ?
Im going to have him try his bulky Scanner instead of the portable one.
Then look to see what compressor is in there,.
It stays inflated when driving.
Only trouble every time starting can hear Compressor then it stops at the same time warning lights go on
after maybe 20-30 seconds

Old 10-06-2024 | 09:44 PM
Camel Trophy

Which valve block was changed? Each is unique, front and rear are NOT interchangeable and no version exists that can be swapped. If the back end is not dropping and this started after the block was changed, the wrong block was used or it was hooked up wrong, both have happened often enough over the years that it is well documented.

To me it sounds like the reservoir is not filling, that could be the fault. If the Rover is reaching proper height and seems okay. But after a height change the reservoir fills and that is why the compressor runs for a while even once the selected height is reached.

Old 10-07-2024 | 04:45 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Which valve block was changed? Each is unique, front and rear are NOT interchangeable and no version exists that can be swapped. If the back end is not dropping and this started after the block was changed, the wrong block was used or it was hooked up wrong, both have happened often enough over the years that it is well documented.

To me it sounds like the reservoir is not filling, that could be the fault. If the Rover is reaching proper height and seems okay. But after a height change the reservoir fills and that is why the compressor runs for a while even once the selected height is reached.
Hi..the Rear Valve Block was changed yesterday.
It's still throwing fault on dashboard Normal Height Only. When starting car Compressor goes on for maybe 30 seconds sometimes a little longer stops throwing fault code. The one thing that has changed since putting this new rear valve block.. for all the years I can remember in the morning front is down rear is as we left it day before then front lifts and we warm up car then take off..but today I see front lifted to normal height as we left it the day before. Compressor ran for a little longer not really needing to lift anything then stopped showing fault on dash.
We are next going to take it in to put on lift to see which compressor is in there Hitachi or AMK
and see if the other scanner he has brings up specific codes identifying what it is cause network failure it's guess work as you said.
**Can you tell me this.The two Compressors at British Atlantic say no programing required but they cost $799 & $899 .holy cow. At Autohaus they have two Compressors Hitachi and AMK oem..will those need programing ? Both these at Autohaus say LRO72537 like the Atlantic British ones.
Id add a picture of them but I don't see how
I don't want to buy a gap tool nor get ripped off at dealer.Thank you for your advise over these last 10 years Dakota

Last edited by Athana; 10-07-2024 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-07-2024 | 04:47 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Autohaus

Autohaus

Old 10-07-2024 | 07:49 PM
Pro Wrench

If you change from one type to the other the software needs to be updated, if your front is dropping overnight (raising every morning) then you still have a problem either in the air lines or height sensors.

The following users liked this post:
Athana (Today)
Old Today | 07:12 AM
|
Rock Crawling

I was mistaken mechanic changed the Front Valve Block not the rear.He has ordered the rear Valve Block and will be putting that in this week.
He took cover off and said Compressor is marked made in Japan so is a Hitachi but ooks like new..
I have read dryer should be changed every certain amount of time maybe should do that as a maintenance?
Thanks