LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension fault normal height only

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 04:48 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension fault normal height only

Hey everyone! I have a 2005 LR3 and lately I've been getting a " suspension fault, normal height only" on a cold start in the morning when I warm it up. If I let the vehicle warm up for about 15 minutes, shut it off and leave it sit for about 10 minutes, and then start it back up the fault is gone. It's only when it sits for a while.
I took it to the dealership and they said I need a new compressor. I did a few tests before taking it in by taking the fuse out and seeing which corner dropped. All corners of the vehicle dropped a little, but the driver side front dropped a considerable amount more. I have no problem replacing the compressor, just wondering if it might be a leak in the system on the driver side front?

Thanks

Old 03-07-2016, 05:12 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

Check the battery first!

When you have this fault, does the EAS actually fail to function or is it a false indication?

Old 03-07-2016, 05:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

cold weather and the batteries in these love to throw a fault code, even if they are in okay shape. Ditto on above comment.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:29 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be a dumb question, but I assume you've done a little trial and error to arrive at the "warm up for 15 mins, turn off and let sit for 10 mins"? Only reason I ask is because not too long ago, I was getting a yellow suspension fault message, and every once in awhile it would turn to the red fault icon on the dash. Never dumped me to the bumpstops, but when it would go red, I would usually find a place to pull off/over, turn the car off and turn it right back on to clear it. Just curious if you really need to let it sit for those 10 mins.

I took it to a local indy shop and they said that the FR height sensor was bad. Which I do think could have been accurate, given some trends on the 4x4 screen. They also said that when replacing height sensors, you must do it in pairs, meaning both left and ride sides.

That was before I had bought the Gap IID tool. Since getting the tool and running a 20mm lift, I've only had one suspension fault message in two months. Im guessing it is still a problem with that sensor, but for some reason, the added height has reduced the frequency of faults.

Do you have the nag/4x4 screen? If so, try and pay attention to the little white dashes (-) above each tire. Look for any of the dashes to behave funny, especially when sitting still on level ground.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:04 PM
4wd Low

Just replaced the battery last week. Same result.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:07 PM
4wd Low

No, everything seems to still function fine, I'm just trying to fix the issue before it gets bad. No, the indicator has never turned red...

Old 03-07-2016, 08:09 PM
4wd Low

Yes, I do have the 4x4 screen, I've never looked at it while I've had these problems though, I will check that out...

Old 03-07-2016, 08:12 PM
4wd Low

Why is th dealership telling me that I need to replace the compressor?? They said that the code was specific to replace the compressor, I'm just skeptical...

Old 03-07-2016, 09:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

Lots going on here. Multiple root causes can cause EAS symptoms. Knowing the differences can be tricky and having an IIDTool helps a lot. I feel like the dealerships often just want to throw a compressor at it and call it good, especially if you have the (old) Hitachi compressor installed now. For instance there could be a leak somewhere and the compressor could struggle to keep up with the leaking air and the symptoms could look like a bad compressor. I believe the code for that is also similar to the bad compressor code.

@streetsofcompton: (love the login name, BTW): Your fault could have turned red if you'd driven it, particularly at speed. Often times a bad sensor can drive an amber fault and then above 30 mph or so, you get a "Cross-Articulation Fault" and that's what puts you at bumpstops. That said, the amber fault you are getting now that you have new sensors (particularly if you are lifted) could be an "out of range" fault. These occur when you ask for more height and that request takes you above the range that the EAS allows. These do not result in bumpstops and they go away when you cycle the ignition. These are not a big deal but it's good to get your lift dialed in to "just enough" to fit bigger tires or whatever while still being able to go into Extended Height (not Super Extended Height) without a fault.

Changing sensors in pairs may be good practice but I don't believe it's necessary. THAT SAID, the sensor was revised a few years ago and I would indeed suggest maintaining similarity between pairs. If nothing else it'll make calibration easier.

Wheeewwww....that was exhausting. Did I leave anything out?

Old 03-08-2016, 03:43 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Morgan,

I misspoke earlier when I referenced the white dashes on the 4x4 screen. What I meant to say, was to look for any weird movement from the tires(not the dashes) on that screen, in between the white dashes. If at any point a tire touches either dash above or below, it will throw a Suspension Fault. This has typically happened to me while sitting at Red lights, one tire tends to "float" up close to the white dashes then returns to normal height. Sometimes it will do this 2-4 times before actually touching the dash and registering a fault.
Sorry for the confusion from my earlier post, wanted to clarify.

Quick Reply: Suspension fault normal height only