LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-case seeping

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 12:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 468 Likes on 419 Posts
Default T-case seeping

I recently had my fluids changed at a local indie shop and now I have drips on my driveway. I have isolated this issue to the fill plug on my transfer case. What I don't know is whether they just made a mess, or if the plug is under tightened. I took a pic. Thoughts?

Last edited by houm_wa; 08-27-2023 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-27-2023, 08:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts

Another and worse scenario is they over tightened it and stripped out the threads. It's easy to do on the transfer case, it's a steel plug into aluminum threads with no sleeve (thanks Land Rover...]

Old 08-27-2023, 10:19 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 776 Likes on 650 Posts

LR did not make or design the case, thank Magna instead. Horrible design all the way around, such as having to complete take it apart to replace seals versus easy exterior access. As mentioned, it could be stripped out. I sure hope not. I would say take it back but unless you are standing next to them when they check the torque they will just do their best to deny the issue, somehow make it stop leaking (temporarily) and say nothing was wrong, or just say it was not torqued enough and you are good to go. Then on the trail the dang plug will pop out or start leaking worse. If you wait too long, they will say it was fine when it left and it must have been you messing with it. But the best scenario is that it is in fact not torqued enough or needs a new copper crush washer.

Old 08-27-2023, 10:25 AM
Camel Trophy

Thanks guys. I'm gonna search for the torque spec and maybe do it myself....but if you guys happen to know it, please share.

Old 08-27-2023, 01:23 PM
Camel Trophy

So far I've seen 16 lb-ft, which sounds like very little torque.

Anyone used a Time-sert in that hole?

Old 08-27-2023, 01:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 77 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
So far I've seen 16 lb-ft, which sounds like very little torque.

Anyone used a Time-sert in that hole?
I stripped out some threads on mine and had bought a timesert kit to fix the drip. But was able to stop the leak without having to use it.

But yeah, its something that can get drilled out and tapped. Just make sure to pour fluid through it with the drain open after drilling to get out any filings

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (08-27-2023)
Old 08-27-2023, 08:32 PM
Camel Trophy

I managed to get a half-turn or so on it and cleaned stuff up ..since then no more drips. So fingers crossed it was the scenario in which they hadn't tightened it enough. Much appreciated to the board!

One observation, it took some torque....I mean it felt pretty loose at first but by the time I was done it was in there good and tight...probably more than the low torque spec I found, but I'd think that being able to torque it down that tight likely means it was just loose and that the threads are not stripped.

Next worry: Did I lose sufficient fluid such that I should be concerned?

Last edited by houm_wa; 08-28-2023 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-28-2023, 07:59 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

At least it wasn't the drain plug, fill plug is unlikely to lose much unless you are constantly running on a side angle. That pic looks bone dry to me ?

Old 08-28-2023, 08:34 PM
Camel Trophy

Agree that the filler plug is a better scenario. Probably safe to drive it 30 miles to the shop. The photo was after I'd cleaned it up.

Old 08-30-2023, 09:14 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Blackngold77
Another and worse scenario is they over tightened it and stripped out the threads. It's easy to do on the transfer case, it's a steel plug into aluminum threads with no sleeve (thanks Land Rover...]
You sure it's a steel plug? I just bought one (from the dealer no less) and it sure looks aluminum to me! Could they have changed it in all these years?

Quick Reply: T-case seeping