LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there something tricky in doing inner & outer tie rods? Mechanic failed.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2020, 03:58 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is there something tricky in doing inner & outer tie rods? Mechanic failed.

Evening.

I use two well known indy shops, one for Rover and the other is more general. Trying to save money during this economy, I purchased inner & outer kits from FCP Euro, and took to the more generalized shop. They cannot get the parts to fit properly, they're convinced someone put a different front-end on my truck. I don't believe this is true, because the Rover mechanic checked out under carriage a few months ago, and didn't mention anything odd.

They verified the parts I ordered, should fit my VIN. My saving money is out the door, they're charging me two hours labor, and putting my old parts back in. I mentioned the inners are sized different for each side, wondered if they got them backwards. Also, they had difficulty with the outers, saying the posts weren't long enough.

I've done a few tie rods, not sure if I should attempt myself, or pay much more at the indy Rover shop?

What a crappy day!

Old 10-02-2020, 05:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

I am not sure if you are soliciting advice or not, but if you are, just get OEM parts and have the Indy Land Rover shop do it.

Old 10-02-2020, 06:27 PM
Overlanding

Yes, I'm looking for advice and am taking yours. Just spoke with the indy Rover shop, they're okay with my TRW & Lemforder tie rod purchase.

I'll told them what happened with the other shop.

Thanks

The following users liked this post:
houm_wa (10-02-2020)
Old 10-02-2020, 10:51 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 735 Likes on 617 Posts

Odd. I can't see why there would be an issue. Pretty straight forward stuff. FYI, I hate the TRW outers, they dont thread very well onto the Lemforders. Very loose. I highly recommend going Lemforder all the way, but I know the outers are not easy to find.

Old 10-03-2020, 08:11 AM
Overlanding

Upon the couple replies and some other researching here, I'm going to tackle this myself, should be straight forward. The shop did mention the TRW's fitting loosely.

I'm starting from scratch, ordering the Atlantic British kit.

Lesson learned.

Thank you!

Last edited by steveland; 10-03-2020 at 08:31 AM.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:32 AM
Camel Trophy

I would maybe call FCP, but looking at the site it may just be the diaphragm boots that are TRW when ordering the full Lemforder kit. Also it could be "normal" for them to be loose maybe? But when I did mine, I dont recall the factor outer end feeling loose. I will add that one one side I have had a TRW outer for over two years with no issue but did not do the other side because of how loose it felt. I will be doing both sides over soon with full Lemforder parts.

Last edited by DakotaTravler; 10-03-2020 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:06 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
I would maybe call FCP, but looking at the site it may just be the diaphragm boots that are TRW when ordering the full Lemforder kit. Also it could be "normal" for them to be loose maybe? But when I did mine, I dont recall the factor outer end feeling loose. I will add that one one side I have had a TRW outer for over two years with no issue but did not do the other side because of how loose it felt. I will be doing both sides over soon with full Lemforder parts.
I'm not re-ordering til' Monday, I'll give FCP a call. It's just frustrating, having to pay the garage 2 hours for nothing.

Really appreciate the help!

Thank you.

Last edited by steveland; 10-03-2020 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:43 AM
Camel Trophy

Ay pics by chance? Maybe you were sent the wrong parts?

Old 10-03-2020, 01:06 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
Ay pics by chance? Maybe you were sent the wrong parts?
I'll take some and post today.

Thanks

Old 10-10-2020, 09:07 AM
Overlanding

Sorry for delay, got sidetracked.

So I installed the same parts the garage had issues with (Lemforder Inners & TRW outers). It was very straightforward, the outers threaded onto the Lemforders fine, not loose. But, the stud of the outer TRW's is smaller in diameter than the original ones (which are TRW's as well), so they fit the hole pretty loose, don't like this much.

My camber is way off, I get system errors, and it shuts down the suspension, lowering it. When turning, I get a dash error and then multiple errors before the system shuts off. I'm thinking the system is detecting possible roll over? I can feel the camber is way off. The nuts were so rusted on the original outers, I couldn't remove them, so I couldn't count the outer turns. So I simply set the new assembly next to the original, and tried to mimic sizing, this obviously didn't work well.

I'm stuck, feel I should start from scratch and order kit from Atlantic British? I'm going to do a DIY alignment today to see if I can get it somewhat back in line, if this works, I'll take take it for real alignment.

Yes, I'm confused!

Last edited by steveland; 10-10-2020 at 09:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Is there something tricky in doing inner & outer tie rods? Mechanic failed.