LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of buying 06 HSE7 71K miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 08:07 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying 06 HSE7 71K miles

Hi,

New to forum, looking at a 2006 LR3, HSE 7 with 71K miles on it via Carmax.

Currently, the Rover is in TX and I live in MD. I am having it transferred here so it should be here in about 3 weeks or sooner. I have not committed to buy and have been reading through the LR3 section. I have to admit, I am apprehensive about buying a Land Rover, even though I've always wanted one. I currently own a Jeep Wrangler (2001, 110K miles on it). I have NEVER had ANY problems with the Jeep. The main reason for moving into an SUV like the LR3 is because the 2 door Jeep is getting a little tight in the back trying to get my 3 yr old in and out of the car seat in the back and it gets crowded with the two 65/70 pound dogs in the back as well. I don't do any offroading, and this will be my commuter (20 miles round trip). And we will probably use it for some family trips.

Here is the "transfer page" Carmax sent me while it's in transit... what do you all think? Thanks,

2006 Land Rover LR3 Pictures and Photo Gallery at CarMax.com

Also, any tips or information on extended warranties (i.e. the best ones and where to get them) would be helpful. Thanks,

Tony

Old 08-19-2012, 08:25 PM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Keep in mind, if you buy a Carmax warranty, it HAS to go back to Carmax for repairs, and from what little I have dealt with them, there is LITTLE they can do on a Land Rover (hard to get much done without the proper tools).

Old 08-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Mudding

I'm 4 months ahead of you; having bought a 2006, then a 2005 and finally a 2007. Two were from private parties and the '06 was a dealer car.

None had Check Engine Light on when bought, and no codes. Two were driven over 1000 miles back home. All this within the past 4 months.

Today, the '06 is DOA in the driveway. Won't start, all kinds of dashboard warnings; all after I simply changed the battery for a stronger one.

The '05 developed a code called, "Camshaft Position sensor too far retarded".
Long story short, the engine jumped timing, and dealer fix is to replace the engine. Are we going to not R&R the chains and tensioners and opt instead for a $15,000 engine? WHY do dealers do this instead of providing service?

Posts with questions to boards like this often result with few responses. Does that mean that most questions are unique, or that most answers are hidden inside dealer computers and technicians don't talk to us?

Oh, the one truck that runs does so with the Up/Down selector switch inopt and the code message, "normal height only" constantly ON.

I drove the '05 to Carmax for a buy-it quote, per my son's suggestion. Truck runs fine, but the Check light is ON. They offered $7000 for the truck, citing the Check light and saying that auctions don't pay much for vehicles in obvious need of repair.

NOTE: The only time my trucks don't have a light on the dashboard is when they are turned off

I shopped for other trucks and found nothing that looks or drives like a LR; and therein lies the rub. It's like dating a hooker; a lot of pleasure, but your wallet takes a beating regularly.

Finally, try to find an EW company that insures a LR and you'll pay $5000 for a year (last I checked)

Old 08-19-2012, 09:59 PM
4wd Low

Thanks,

I was definitely NOT going with the Carmax warranty. I've read nothing but horror stories on it. I am going to try and find a local mechanic that might be able to work on it, rather than go to the pricey dealer.

I am worried - I don't have a ton of money to throw into a car. I haven't had a car payment in 12 years. And the Jeep runs great. I am worried about the electronics as well as the mileage on this particular truck. I thought LRs can get 300K on one engine....? I know my Jeep could do it...

Sorry for the vague post - I was just trying to get a feel whether or not this was a good purchase based on the year and the mileage...

Old 08-20-2012, 07:20 AM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

If your worried about cost of repair, perhaps consider a Land Rover Certified Pre-Owned (CPO)? Its basically an extension of the factory warranty, except for cosmetic items. Two weeks after I picked up my Range Rover (CPO) the Rear Entertainment DVD player went out and it cost me $0 to have fixed, plus I got a LR loaner the whole time. Also, at the time, I got 0.9% financing, which nobody else can touch as far as financing.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:26 PM
4wd Low

Buy it! Just be prepared for a worst case scenario and have a couple grand set aside for repairs. Obviously more people give reviews that have had problems than those who haven't. I had a Disco 2 and loved it. Now I have an 06 LR3 V8 SE and love it way more! That price seems a little high though.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:34 PM
4wd Low

Thanks all. I can't really afford a pre-owned certified. This is about as close as I can get. I checked the price with Kelly Blue Book and it's actually a couple of hundred bucks under what KBB says it should be.

I did manage to talk to a friend of mine that turned me onto Land Rovers. He is working on his 3rd Disco 2 and has had no major problems (just replacing the brakes and the tires). He's been a great help and easing my mind on all this.

And my wife did mention that same thing - most people in here are posting about issues - so I can't go by what I read in here alone. (I am a member of a boat owners club and it's the same there - everyone posts with issues trying to help each other out). It's not necessarily a bad thing...

I was also relieved to find a local mechanic (not a dealership) that has been working on Land Rovers for over 35 years and actually started in UK at the LR factory (the local dealer in 1973 paid for his citizenship/visa to come to the US and work/train for them). I will be setting up a visit with him the day of or the day after purchase to give a full, unbiased inspection. Carmax has the 5-day money back guarantee - so if he find something I can still return it...

And... I was happy to see that there are websites where you can buy the parts for the LR3. Having owned Jeeps for the past 12 years, I love Quadratec and the ability to get pretty much anything I need online...

I think it's looking like I will be a new LR3 owner here soon.. THanks for all the input.

By the way - the last thing I need to research is a 3rd party warranty provider - any suggestions? I am willing to pay 3-4K for an extended one, and I realize that I will need to check with the mechanic to see what he would accept. But there are a few online sites - just wanted to see what you have used or recommend.

Thanks again.
Tony

Old 08-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Mudding
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Was exactly in your shoes about three years ago. Scared to death and didn't have a ton of cash on the side if I bought a beater accidentally. I bought it site unseen from LR Chantilly. Horrible experience with them (Sent me the vehicle in disrepair, stating they knew I wanted it quickly, then told me to go to my local LR dealer, have the issues fixed, and have them bill them back. Needless to say, LR paramus was like "wtf?". ALL of the issues were not resolved. To this day, I have a rear seat with no seat belt buckle housings... for the love of god I can't figure out why they wouldn't be in there.

I digress. For first two years (was still on warranty), I was at dealer twice per year spending $3000 per year on average. Mostly suspension issues on my HSE. The dealer wants to change it every 4 miles. New Tires every 8 Miles. New Battery Every time you go... but then you start to get the hang of it and realize that if you're semi-mechanically inclined, through the help of these forums you can actually do some work on the thing yourself. But again, you're still spending cash on it in one way or another and I've learned to accept my "Suspension Fault" code. (lie).

The vehicle has never left me stranded. If I'm you, I hold off and try to buy a newer model that has even a small amount of time on it on warranty.

I paid $27 for my 06 HSE with 36K on it.. I now have 88K on it. Certainly not the worse vehicle i've owned and hoping to drive it for another 88 - still looks good and drives well.

Good luck.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:46 AM
4wd Low

Thanks Mirepoixmatt...
I was looking at a few LR3s at Chantilly as well. I called them a few times to ask some questions on a Disco they had. But they immediately tried the old bait and switch on me and then started to call/text me daily with "pressure" type sales. No thanks...

I managed to find a local LR mechanic and I am planning on having him take a look at the one I am looking at the day after I get it from Carmax. Carmax has a 5 day money back guarantee. So I am willing to pay a couple hundred more to have him look it over before I commit. I have already paid 750 to have it transferred from TX to MD. So a couple hundred more won't kill me at this point. I would rather be out a 1000 and NOT have a beater than risk it. Also, my budget is about 20K at this point. So unless there are some serious engine/suspension/electrical issues I don't think I will be able to get an LR3 that is as nice looking as this one... I will post in a few weeks when the truck is delivered and let everyone know...Thanks again!

Old 08-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you should maybe think about getting a well maintained Discovery 2.

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying 06 HSE7 71K miles