LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took the Ham Technician test

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 05:24 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Took the Ham Technician test

....now to find a handheld or vehicle mount transceiver. Would like to be able to do cb frequencies.
Got a weekend with the SoCal rover club in Big Bear this month.

Last edited by Geo; 09-03-2017 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:58 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 120 Likes on 104 Posts

Amazon has some inexpensive 2m handhelds that work OK, programming is a bit tricky but they can put out a good signal. puts out 8 watts

Amazon Amazon

KE0JRT

Old 09-03-2017, 12:16 PM
Geo
Rock Crawling

I hear good things about the Baofeng, but really want a Yaesu vx-8 series.
I don't know enough about the different bands and what will really be useful. Off road clubs are often using CB or GPRS/FRS. A do it all radio would be my preference.
Then there's handheld versus mobile/mounted.....

Old 09-03-2017, 06:37 PM
Winching
Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Resource for ham radio info

Congratulations on passing the test. The biggest problem with ham radio is the vast expanse of activites. It almost impossible to be involved with every aspect. VHF / UHF mobile operation is most popular and easiest to do.

I enjoy HF mobile and HF APRS / Win net as welll as SSB voice. iF you decide to venture into the HF mobile I am more than happy to help with the Rover Quarks in building a good HF installation.

Don't. Forget eham and QRZ forums for ham radio specifics.

When it comes to Rover istallation..... This form has sevel people more than willing to share thier installtion ideas.

Welcome and good luck

Jeff
AA0ST

Old 09-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Geo
Rock Crawling

Much appreciated! Install tips will be very helpful. I actually Googled your setup in you sig line from a prior post. Hope things are settling down for you in Houston. Good luck on the search for replacement Rovers.

Old 09-05-2017, 09:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts

I installed both a CB and Ham radio in my car. I'm pretty sure I did a write up on here if you can find it. FYI, you cannot get both in one unit. That's illegal here in the US. You will need two distinctly different radios with two distinctly different antennas in order to do both 2m/70cm and the CB which is 11m.

When I started, I had mounted my head unit on the overhead console (the thing with the sunroof switch). That proved to be too heavy for the console though and just had too many vibrations (especially when offroad), so I ended up moving it down into the cubby in front of the gear shift. I was sad to lose that storage space and sad that the audio is a little muffled now (my speakers are in the head unit), but it works out much better overall.

Old 09-19-2021, 10:25 AM
Overlanding
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out Radioddity and this CB model (small and compact) but lower power output.

For the Ham/GMRS frequencies, remember the Baofengs are GREAT radios with LOUD speakers but they are fairly DEAF when it comes to receivers. You are going to hear faint signals BETTER with the better brands like Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom, etc. My favorite HT at this exact moment is the Color Screen FT-5DR

For mobile installation, most overlanders use the Yaesu FTM-400.

Tip: You can pay someone like Ham Radio Outlet or DIY a simple hack to do what's called a MARS/CAP mod which will allow your ham radio to talk on both HAM and GMRS frequencies. I find this to be most convenient for Overlanding trips.

Tip #2: Get a good antenna. Will help loads! Congrats and good luck!!

Old 09-19-2021, 07:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
Check out Radioddity and this CB model (small and compact) but lower power output.

For the Ham/GMRS frequencies, remember the Baofengs are GREAT radios with LOUD speakers but they are fairly DEAF when it comes to receivers. You are going to hear faint signals BETTER with the better brands like Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom, etc. My favorite HT at this exact moment is the Color Screen FT-5DR

For mobile installation, most overlanders use the Yaesu FTM-400.

Tip: You can pay someone like Ham Radio Outlet or DIY a simple hack to do what's called a MARS/CAP mod which will allow your ham radio to talk on both HAM and GMRS frequencies. I find this to be most convenient for Overlanding trips.

Tip #2: Get a good antenna. Will help loads! Congrats and good luck!!
Trophy - the post is 4 years old.

Old 09-20-2021, 04:35 AM
Overlanding
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

awesome.. still getting used to this forum software lol

Old 09-21-2021, 11:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 120 Likes on 104 Posts

I added an external mag mount antenna, ext mic and ext speaker to my Baofeng, made itr much nicer to use. then went with a 2m/70cm dual channel mounted on the dash. works great! I use the Baofeng at home now.

Quick Reply: Took the Ham Technician test