LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing with the LR3 for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 12:03 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing with the LR3 for dummies

Hello All,

First time poster. My family is growing out of our Jeep Liberty CRD. As much as I love the fact that diesel is now the cheapest gas in my region (Seattle, with about 21 MPG for the CRD), the size of the vehicle needs to be addressed. We have 3 people in our family and a love of large dogs so that is what led us to investigate the LR3.

We have an 19 Ft travel trailer that weighs in around 3200 Lbs. I am trying to wrap my head around how to setup the LR3 for towing. It sounds like all the major parts are "in place" or "hiding" and we just need to pull them out and hook them up. So, now, my questions:

1. Where is the actual receiver hitch? The salesman, said something about a Z shaped adapter.
2. I am not a wiring guy, so how do I hook up my 6 pin adapter?
3. Trailer brake..already wired for it? I am assuming I could move over my trailer brake from my CRD.
4. I have read the max towing vehicle is like 7700 Lbs. I would like to upgrade our trailer from a 19ft to a 23 or 25 ft in the near future which would put us right in line with that towing max. Is this vehicle possible of towing that? (I am already familiar with the risks of towing with a short wheel base..I drive a Liberty and that is pretty squirrely on the HWY towing).

Thank you very much and sorry for the duplication in my post as I have read bits and pieces on towing in the discussion board.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:48 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jflem24
Hello All,

First time poster. My family is growing out of our Jeep Liberty CRD. As much as I love the fact that diesel is now the cheapest gas in my region (Seattle, with about 21 MPG for the CRD), the size of the vehicle needs to be addressed. We have 3 people in our family and a love of large dogs so that is what led us to investigate the LR3.

We have an 19 Ft travel trailer that weighs in around 3200 Lbs. I am trying to wrap my head around how to setup the LR3 for towing. It sounds like all the major parts are "in place" or "hiding" and we just need to pull them out and hook them up. So, now, my questions:

1. Where is the actual receiver hitch? The salesman, said something about a Z shaped adapter.

You can get one on ebay or Your dealer. A few 05s have them in one of the compartments in the back.

2. I am not a wiring guy, so how do I hook up my 6 pin adapter?

You need to get the trailer wiring kit from the dealer and oput it on

3. Trailer brake..already wired for it? I am assuming I could move over my trailer brake from my CRD.

yah see above

4. I have read the max towing vehicle is like 7700 Lbs. I would like to upgrade our trailer from a 19ft to a 23 or 25 ft in the near future which would put us right in line with that towing max. Is this vehicle possible of towing that? (I am already familiar with the risks of towing with a short wheel base..I drive a Liberty and that is pretty squirrely on the HWY towing).

I tow a 21 foot boat around 2500lbs It dose alright but my 1/2 ton truck dose it much better in my opinion.

Thank you very much and sorry for the duplication in my post as I have read bits and pieces on towing in the discussion board.
There you have it

Old 06-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. There is a plastic cover that 'hides' the receiver. You will need to get the LR hitch receiver (part no: KNB500023 I think) which is $375 on roverconnection.com and the wiring (don't have the part # handy) is a combo 4 & 7 pin setup which is stealthily installed next to the receiver.

2. The LR3 has both 4 & 7 pin which is cool...

3. It's ready for a trailer brake controller...the toughest part is choosing where to mount, lol...Mine is to the left of the steering wheel on the lower panel

4. I tow about 5K...it does the trick but it's not winning any speed competitions that's for sure! Climbing isn't it's strong point. I have an 18' (+/- 23' total including tongue) steel trailer and haul lots of toys (quads, polaris ranger, etc.) on it and it does just fine...