LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trans slipping every so often

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 08:47 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Trans slipping every so often

Need some advice here please! 06 LR3 with 115k on it. In the last few weeks, I have had the transmission slip on a few occasions. Sometimes it drives totally normal, other times it will rev up, sometimes for a couple seconds. Never when first driving, and I 99% of time just in first gear. An example is come to a complete stop at a stop sign, go to proceed and just revs. I've quickly thrown it to manual/sport and up shifted once or twice and it was good. Usually just let off throttle and when I get back on it is ok. Never has banged into gear.
I tried driving in sport and it hasn't done it there. Whether coincidence or not I'm not sure. I wanted to see if maybe it was software related. It has done the Cali stop hard shift before, but this is different.
Got under truck, and no leaks I could see anywhere. No spots on driveway and no error codes or warnings for trans. Any thoughts on where to look next? Fluid change?

Old 08-02-2016, 02:11 PM
Mudding
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Start here...

I'd also switch fueling station since your'e from NJ

Last edited by KMET; 08-02-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

I would try re-setting the adaptations, first.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:19 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by KMET
Start here...

Discovery LR3 - Cleaning Throttle Body - YouTube

I'd also switch fueling station since your'e from NJ
I cleaned the throttle body over the winter as my PCV valve went, so that should be fine. For fuel, use 93 but not loyal to one station. Last two tanks I ran seafoam through (unrelated, do that twice a year and before oil changes)

Old 08-02-2016, 06:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by houm_wa
I would try re-setting the adaptations, first.
Can't hurt. Need the LR computer for that, right? Question though, why would the adaptations change all of a sudden?

Old 08-02-2016, 09:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 460 Likes on 411 Posts

Not sure why they'd change...but it can happen. I don't know if it's exactly the same as an "official" reset but you can do this thing where you put the key in position II, hold down the throttle for X seconds and then shut the vehicle off (and remove key) for like 2 minutes or until it goes fully asleep.

Problem is I don't remember what X is. 10 seconds, 30 seconds maybe....I'll try to dig it up. In the meantime maybe someone on this board will fill in the info.

The following users liked this post:
Snafu / Disco Fries (08-03-2016)
Old 08-03-2016, 11:03 PM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Subscribed... exact same thing mines doing. Planning for a tranny flush towards fall but I've heard it can be software related.

Old 08-06-2016, 05:41 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 130 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by houm_wa
Not sure why they'd change...but it can happen. I don't know if it's exactly the same as an "official" reset but you can do this thing where you put the key in position II, hold down the throttle for X seconds and then shut the vehicle off (and remove key) for like 2 minutes or until it goes fully asleep.

Problem is I don't remember what X is. 10 seconds, 30 seconds maybe....I'll try to dig it up. In the meantime maybe someone on this board will fill in the info.
I thought that was just to reset the throttle position sensor, not shifting values... I believe there is something like this for the tranny but I forget what rave section.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle

OK...for those following and for future reference I figured out the problem! I kept going back to the fact that I didn't think it was mechanical/fluid related as there were no leaks and it was sporadic. The fact that it didn't do it in sport mode, made me think it was computer related, but nothing I could find lead me to find reasons why it wouldn't in sport but would in regular even if computer related.
So, I took it out today and came to a stoplight. Now, my daily drivers and toys have always been manual transmissions. I'm just an enthusiast, and like to row my own gears especially in a sports car. My hand will go to the shifter at a stop out of pure muscle memory. I happened to look down at the dash to see the outside temp as it was hot out, and noticed for a split second the "D" went away and then came back. Well holy crap... smoking gun. I'm guessing the linkage is a little wore or something is out of adjustment, as if I just put the SLIGHTEST pressure on the shifter forward it comes out of drive and into neutral. It has happened when not touching it either though, but just the force of coming to a stop gives it enough momentum to come out.
So, for those that might have the same thing, go out to the driveway and test it. Just put the slightest pressure on the shifter and see if you lose the D.
Case closed on this one, now to figure out how to adjust it. Also, if someone can tell me, does their shifter "click" into Drive or just go down to it. Also, can you shift to N without pressing the button. Thanks!

The following users liked this post:
drasster@gmail.com (03-31-2020)
Old 08-07-2016, 07:55 AM
Winching
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Interesting you posted this as I had the truck sift into neutral the other day while driving by having my hand resting too hard on the shifter... kinda surprised me as I have never experienced this before. I knew the dangers of resting your hand on the shifter in a manual but not an auto. Hope you can figure out an adjustment!

The same kind of thing happens to me when cornering and I have my hand o the shifter and it slips accidently over to sport mode.... no harm, no foul in this case but I think I need to learn to leave my hand off the shifter. Good practice for when I get the shifter puck version in my next vehicle, an LR4.

Quick Reply: Trans slipping every so often