LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Confusion

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2021, 08:40 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Confusion

Hello everyone,
I have a 2006 LR3 with 140k, and I am looking to have my transmission fluid changed and my shift solenoids replaced. I currently have no issues with the transmission, I just don't think it has ever been serviced. I called Indy places around Houston and Katy both told me do not touch the system. I called an Indy in Dallas and he told me not to touch till 150k. Can someone whos been near my mileage or in my situation give me some advice?

Thanks in advance

Old 04-13-2021, 10:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

Change the fluid but don't touch the solenoids unless you are having shift issues.

Old 04-14-2021, 12:09 AM
Mudding
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, change the fluid and filter. Also change the pass through sleeve where the wires enter the transmission. Solenoids... my opinion... I can side with loanrangie on not replacing them if you're not having issues. but... If your having someone perform the fluid/filter service you're probably looking at close to 5 hours flat rate labor. If a solenoid (s) crap out in 10K miles you'll have to pay that labor plus again. I've never heard of anyone having troubles AFTER changing the solenoids. They can also change the seals at the top of the valve body where it mates with the case while it's out. I had 2 solenoids fail at 135K. ymmv...

Old 04-14-2021, 02:28 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by 5280LR3
Yes, change the fluid and filter. Also change the pass through sleeve where the wires enter the transmission. Solenoids... my opinion... I can side with loanrangie on not replacing them if you're not having issues. but... If your having someone perform the fluid/filter service you're probably looking at close to 5 hours flat rate labor. If a solenoid (s) crap out in 10K miles you'll have to pay that labor plus again. I've never heard of anyone having troubles AFTER changing the solenoids. They can also change the seals at the top of the valve body where it mates with the case while it's out. I had 2 solenoids fail at 135K. ymmv...
I did the valve body seals and mechatronic sleeve when i did the metal pan upgrade, less than 2hrs all up but then the TDV6 has much better access once the plastic cover is removed.
Of course 2 months later i believe i have at least 1 possibly 2 solenoids failing so will be replacing them soon, i just ticked over 200k klms.
A local seller has genuine ZF solenoids for $570 the set which isnt too bad, not sure i would chance the cheapies from ebay or amazon for sub $200/set.

The following users liked this post:
freddagg22 (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 07:38 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you describe the symptoms of a failing solenoid please? I have just had my transmission serviced and the steel pan installed however i sometimes get stuck in 6th and it wont kick up to 5th when i need it. Happens mostly at low revs (1500 - 2000 RPM) and low speed (60 - 80 Kph) when I'm coasting at a "dip" and then want to give a little on the way "up"....I've learnt to work around it (most times) but the first time this happened on a long climb the dash lit up and we never made it to the top because the check engine light came up and wouldn't go away after full stop and restart.
We towed it back to the mechanic and he put his diagnostic tool on it and said there were a heap of "canbus" and "O2 sensor" errors that he said weren't super bad but his concern was the "5th gear ratio" error...he said it worries him when the diag tool is as specific as that and we could be looking at a 2nd hand or rebuilt tranny....many digits involved...so I am wondering if it could be the solenoids instead?
2006 D3 4.4v8 HSE 130K's

Last edited by freddagg22; 04-16-2021 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-16-2021, 09:31 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by freddagg22
Can you describe the symptoms of a failing solenoid please? I have just had my transmission serviced and the steel pan installed however i sometimes get stuck in 6th and it wont kick up to 5th when i need it. Happens mostly at low revs (1500 - 2000 RPM) and low speed (60 - 80 Kph) when I'm coasting at a "dip" and then want to give a little on the way "up"....I've learnt to work around it (most times) but the first time this happened on a long climb the dash lit up and we never made it to the top because the check engine light came up and wouldn't go away after full stop and restart.
We towed it back to the mechanic and he put his diagnostic tool on it and said there were a heap of "canbus" and "O2 sensor" errors that he said weren't super bad but his concern was the "5th gear ratio" error...he said it worries him when the diag tool is as specific as that and we could be looking at a 2nd hand or rebuilt tranny....many digits involved...so I am wondering if it could be the solenoids instead?
2006 D3 4.4v8 HSE 130K's
For me its low speed high load that causes the transmission error limited gears message and it defaults to 3rd gear, scan gives me a P0730 code and 3 - 4 shift algorithm error,i have been using command shift to see if i can pinpoint the problem and it does seem to be 3rd gear and occasionally 4th that wont shift correctly.
Once i get into 4th i generally don't have any problems, i think i'll be doing solenoids and a zip kit and possibly looking at a rebuild at some stage.