LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Fault - Limited Gears Available / No Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 02:31 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

Well I would be wicked careful with the white retainer clip, with it shifted all the wires could maybe slip out? I did find this interesting, the graphic below seems to show your issue is not totally uncommon and there is literally a check for pushed back pins.

Old 10-08-2022, 02:40 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

I will add that if you having problems pushing the pin back in, slide that weather seal back. Odds are that is the issue. Then once in place, push that seal back into the plug.

Old 10-08-2022, 04:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 167 Likes on 119 Posts

Looks like the latching ear is missing. Could it be stuck in the plastic preventing you from inserting it all the way?

New connectors with good latching ears.

Old 10-08-2022, 05:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Dakota, I think you are correct that the weather seal is preventing insertion, that is right where it is binding up. Unfortunately it is part of the crimped connection so I cannot slide it back. The white clip seems to be a red herring. I picked one out of the junkyard this afternoon and there is no conceivable way I can find to remove the slider.

P-Bod, I couldn’t see any brads left in the housing. It may be a slightly different style on the 6HP, certainly that’s what I hope! The opening looks clear.

From all my searching, I’ve learned this is called a “duetsch” connector. It looks like there are various tools, similar to fids, for inserting and removing the wires. I think if I just leave it alone and call a transmission shop they should be able to fix it quickly, and any further effort I put into it risks making things worse.

Definitely continue to lob out any other ideas you all have, I sincerely appreciate it. Right now, I’m going to have a beer and work on a different honey-do.

Old 10-10-2022, 12:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Got an appointment setup with a Land Rover Independent Mechanic in Seattle to repair. LaMorna Garage. The gentleman there was familiar with issues with this plug and thought the connector tangs were probably bent or broken (nice catch P-Bod!) and would need to be replaced, but that’s an easy fix. Since I nabbed a whole pigtail from the junk yard they’ll be able to splice in the single ground wire if needed.

Before talking to LaMorna I checked with a transmission shop which wanted to splice in a new pigtail. Beyond the labor costs, splicing 14 critical wires seemed akin to throwing the baby out with the bath water and just begging for future issues. An auto electrical repair shop flat out told me they won’t touch Land Rovers!

Old 10-18-2022, 04:44 PM
Rock Crawling

Home » Shop » Connectors / Harnesses » Kostal » 6L90E, 6L80E, 6R80 Transmission Connector Kit (bmotorsports.com)

Not sure where you are on this, but the link above solidly ID's this as a Kostal brand connector with plenty of cross references to Ford/GM, etc. It also includes some good images of the terminals.

The following users liked this post:
DakotaTravler (10-19-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 05:14 PM
Rock Crawling

Wow! Thanks for sharing that! I cannot tell you how long I looked for this kit! I ordered two connectors and two weather seals. $9 with shipping.

My mechanic said he could salvage a good connector out of the pigtail I nabbed from the junk yard, but I think replacing the connector itself would be a better repair. Any splice is a potential failure in the future.

It goes in for repair on the 31st.

Old 11-01-2022, 08:45 AM
Rock Crawling

LR3 is fixed!

The connectors and weather seals from
Ballenger were the correct connectors. The best repair was to remove a factory crimped connector from the salvaged plug and splice it in place of the damaged connector. Cost was 1.25 hours, which I think is the shop minimum. It did require some special tools.

Coincidentally, we were contacted late last week by Rivian about our R1T order (placed summer 2021), which is our planned successor to the LR3 and my F150. So, I’m going to be putting the LR3 up for sale in the coming weeks and will sell the F150 (which is my daily) once we take delivery.

The following 2 users liked this post by SeattleDriver:
DakotaTravler (11-01-2022), P-Bod (11-01-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 10:44 AM
Rock Crawling

Congrats on a good fix!

Hate to see you leave the LR3 family. I'm sure you'll have quite a time in the non-combustion world.

The following users liked this post:
SeattleDriver (11-01-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 08:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 226 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by SeattleDriver
LR3 is fixed!

The connectors and weather seals from
Ballenger were the correct connectors. The best repair was to remove a factory crimped connector from the salvaged plug and splice it in place of the damaged connector. Cost was 1.25 hours, which I think is the shop minimum. It did require some special tools.

Coincidentally, we were contacted late last week by Rivian about our R1T order (placed summer 2021), which is our planned successor to the LR3 and my F150. So, I’m going to be putting the LR3 up for sale in the coming weeks and will sell the F150 (which is my daily) once we take delivery.
So you aren't planning on any remote travel ?, i love the Rivian but all EV's are still lacking in range for anything but metropolitan driving - would be keeping the D3.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fault - Limited Gears Available / No Start