LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Way to disable alarm and still lock vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 02:48 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Way to disable alarm and still lock vehicle?

Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the alarm and still lock the truck? I live in a large urban area where car alarms go off constantly and do nothing more than annoy neighbors, but I still want to lock up my personal belongings in the car. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Last edited by MsCrystal; 02-09-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:41 AM
Winching
Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Are you having issues with false activations? Factory alarms are not like aftermarket alarms that go off if you breathe on the car. If your having issues with the alarm going off for no reason, there may be something wrong with it.

Otherwise, I don't know of a way to disable the alarm. If you lock the doors twice with the remote within 12 seconds, it disables the tilt sensor (if equipped) but the regular alarm is still active.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:14 AM
8th Gear

Yes, there is someong wrong with the alarm and yes it is going off randomly. Before I begin to deal with that (hood switch?), I thought it might be easiest to figure out a way to disable the alarm all together since I don't want an alarm anyway. So far the best I have come up with is to leave it unlocked, which won't work in the long run since I can't leave anything in it at all this way. Thanks.

Last edited by MsCrystal; 02-09-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:24 AM
Winching
Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

When your driving down the road, do you get any warnings like "Bonnet Open" or "Door Open"? If so, then that is why the alarm is going off. I do replace a bunch of hood switches, they are cheap and easy to do.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:35 PM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

something to try in the meantime.

Living in the great white north, we like to leave our vehicles running to stay warm while we are making quick stops in the grocery store or postal office, etc. I could not find a way to lock the 3 with a key fob while it was running. Trying to lock the doors with the master switch on the dash doesn't work either because the driver's door would always unlock when I closed it (so the keys cannot be locked in).

My solution was to open the door, use the master switch, exit the vehicle, close the door. Now all doors are locked except for the driver's door. Then lock the door with the key just like we used to do before all this "electronic laziness" came about.

To access the keyed tumbler in your door: (see owner's manual page 43 Emergency locking/unlocking

flip the blade of the key out
insert blade into the opening on the bottom of the rear (small) section of driver's door handle.
turn the key clockwise
the cover will pop off
you will see a keyed tumbler that allows you to lock/unlock the door.

Pros!
you can lock all your doors without setting the alarm
you can leave the vehicle running and lock the doors (requires two keys)
you can get into the vehicle if the fuses or electronics/battery in the key fob ever fail

Cons...
refitting the cover can be a bit tedious and leaving it off makes locking up much quicker
leaving the cover off is a bit of an eyesore, but it is serving a purpose which is only temporarily

Old 02-09-2014, 07:38 PM
Mudding
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

another thought

I have never tried it myself, but perhaps exiting the vehicle, closing the driver's door and then going around to the passenger side will allow you to lock all the doors with the master switch on the dash.

you could try this method and if it works then you do not have to remove the cover for the tumbler on the driver's door.

Old 02-09-2014, 09:25 PM
8th Gear

Interesting...so using the master switch on the dash doesn't set any alarms? I will try this tomorrow and get back to you. The passenger side locking could work well for me and is easier than the key method I think...although I am still miffed that I am not allowed to choose whether or not I want to set my car alarm!

So driving down the road I did not have any dash indicators saying "hood/bonnet open", and when I did pop the hood the message did appear on the dash (as it should have), so I didn't think the hood latch was the issue. However, thanks to tips from this fabulous forum, my husband did go and add some tin foil to the hood switch and since then (about 8 hours) we have had no false alarms :-) Hopefully that was the only fix we needed!

Thanks for the responses.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The main failure on these alarms is the hood switch, that is where I would start, replace it.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:15 AM
8th Gear

Yes, thank you. We didn't even need to replace it- just added some tinfoil to it and it worked. I still want the option of whether or not to set my car alarm though!

Old 02-11-2014, 09:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I suspect you might be able to disable it through the computer, like most everything else is programmable. You can tell the computer it is not fitted.

Do you have the external speaker for an alarm or does it use the horns?

Quick Reply: Way to disable alarm and still lock vehicle?