LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird HDC Fault every 15 miles???

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 01:53 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Weird HDC Fault every 15 miles???

Anyone have the same weird HDC problem I have? Whenever I drive for 15 miles or more my hdc transmission, access height only, dsc lights light/fault up on my dash. I stop, turn engine off than back on and the faults are cleared. When I drive around town I get no lights, faults. I've driven for over 220 miles and no faults around town, only on a continuous drive of 15 miles or more. I checked my wires under the driver arch, changed my battery, changed my brake switch about 10,000 miles ago, steering angle is calibrated, checked my brake lights, used only oem bulbs, I'm at a loss. Anyone? This start happening pretty much right after I had my new tires installed and I got a 4 wheel alignment. I do have to replace my lower control arms, but will that be the cause of my faults? And if that was the case wouldn't I get the faults driving around town as well? Any insight or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Weird HDC Fault every 15 miles???-photo.jpg  
Old 09-27-2014, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Having codes read would be a good place to start.

I think I remember someone saying something about an abs wire or wires they had that was damaged that caused a similar problem for them.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:31 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

I had the codes read and it said something like no/lost communication with hdc transmission module.

Old 09-27-2014, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Talking to the dealer tech that came over to listen to the engine there are several "known bad " areas in harness which stop the ecu's from communicating, basicly the ecu start to freak out when comm is lost

Old 09-27-2014, 06:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had one crazy computer flip out at start up one time that turned out to be a weak battery.New battery and it has not occurred again.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Mine was going goofy lots of idiot lights 4ways flashing, dealer tech said we would fix the wiring after I got the engine in order

One good thing he pulled the pass front carpet looking for the water leak in the other thread and said mine has no sign of ever leaking

Old 10-29-2014, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator

hdc trans fault limited gears access height only came up on my wifes 05 today, pulled battery checked connections behind it all looks fine, batt back in still the same

can this only be cleared with scanner? I leave for work out of state tomorrow and need this fixed

Old 10-30-2014, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

A scanner would help narrow down what's going on. Most things usually clear themselves when the problem is gone.

It's a big cost, but I'd recommend investing in a scanner that talks lr3. I've got a nanocom. Other recommend iidtool. I think some of these guys in the UK use Lynx, but I don't know much about them. I've had a hawkeye and it was nice with lots of code reading and live data, but it wasn't able to do software updates which can be something newer land rovers need.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:57 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts
Default needs wheel alignment

Your 3 is going into safe mode because the computers think there is something wrong with the brakes. It perhaps sees the steering wheel direction sensor at odds with the yaw sensors.

The steering wheel sensor says the vehicle is turning and the yaw sensors, not, hence the computers shut you down or perhaps the rear tyres seem to be going at a different speed than the fronts - the antilock brake sensors pick that up.

The reason the problem only shows on long sort of highway/freeway drives rather than "in the City", is that the computer calculations start over after a major turning event such as going around a sharp corner as one would in the City. On the freeway, all turns are shallow, none are like turning into a McDonalds parking lot.

The solution is either a wheel alignment or something with the steering wheel sensor. I see you reference new tyres - are all tires the same size - as in outside diameter? Are the new fronts a different OK from the rears? On most vehicles like our full time AWD 3, one has to replace all four tyres at the same time with four identical tyres.

What is tyre wear looking like on the new front tyres - any edges wearing faster than the other edge? How about the rears - wear even or ....

I guess is the problem is something to do with the tyres or wheel alignment - probably start with a new wheel alignment.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:12 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Anybody hit a curb?

The following users liked this post:
ksrogers (02-03-2022)

Quick Reply: Weird HDC Fault every 15 miles???