LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a nice vehicle!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 10:46 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a nice vehicle!

Wow, the LR3 is quite a vheicle, isn't it? Is anyone here driving one? Is it as delightful as it looks?

As I posted yesterday on the RR board, my husband and I are looking at either a new LR3 or possibly a used, certified RR, and would appreciate any advice. Before we saw the LR3, we were getting ready, somewhat reluctantly, to trade my very pristine Jaguar XJ6L on a new Volvo XC90 V8, because we are out of garage space, and because the Jag has no head curtains, side bags, stability control, etc., and we are true safety-weenies. But then we saw the LR3 --- wow! What a great vehicle LR has put on the market.

Unfortunately, we THEN saw the RR, and realized that having all that British elegance would make it so much less painful to let the old Jaguar go . . . so, we are torn. What is the initial word on quality for the LR3? Any bugs or consistent issues that those with an ear to the ground might be hearing? (Other than the DVD issue.) Also, we have heard that the Navi system on LR3 is out of this world. Does anyone here on the board have one? And lastly, does anyone know where Ford got the platform/engine/transmission for this beast? Is it all-new?

Thank you all very much,
Liz

Old 02-13-2005, 11:28 PM
Winching
Default RE: What a nice vehicle!

Liz,

The 2006 RR will use the same platform as the 2005, 2006 LR3. Both will have Jaguar engines. I'll have to check on the trans. Yes it is all new. The RR 2003 - 2005 has A BMW platform and Engine. The trans is ZF ( German ).

LR3 initial quality ? Status quo. Most prevalent, stalling. UK currently has engineers in the States to investigate. Doesn't look to be anything major. Usual stuff for A first model year vehicle. It wouldn't deter me from buying.

Let us know what you end up with.

Bait

Old 02-22-2005, 04:06 PM
jzk
7th Gear

I have one. I really like it.

Old 02-27-2005, 12:57 PM
3rd Gear

Just got one and really love it. So much better than the Discovery we traded in. My only complaint, I wish it had the air vent on the drivers side too. The passenger side looks better.

Old 03-10-2005, 01:36 PM
jzk
7th Gear

"My only complaint, I wish it had the air vent on the drivers side too."

Did you see that Land Rover highlighted that feature to show that Land Rover features must be functional? That is sort of nonsense, as imagine what a vehicle would look like if aesthetics weren't important.

Old 03-10-2005, 11:57 PM
Winching

FYI ; LR3 stalling/low idle issue has A fix. A computer update will resolve the issue. All USA dealers have this now.

Old 03-25-2005, 07:28 PM
6th Gear

I just got my LR3 last week with the navigation system. It is out of this world. One of the features that is buried in the fine print is that the radio and the navigational system have voice activated commands. While you can't program the navigational system by voice, you can ask it to find all the nearest gas stations or chinese restaurants. I drove my wife crazy by tuning the radio by voice command. You can also program in destinations for the navigational system to find by voice. Thus you can command "Navigation Go Home" or "Navigation Select Weekend House". This is a very useful feature if you are visiting someone out in the country and they give you detailed instructions on how to get to their house, but not how to reverse the directions.

The navigational system is terrific. My wife can't and refuses to read maps and it is very well mannered.

I would get an LR3 over a used RR.

Old 03-26-2005, 10:47 PM
7th Gear

I took delivery of my Tonga Green HSE on December 23rd, and I love it. I have approx 2300 miles on it right now, and aside from 1 computer glitch affecting the navigation system (that reset itself and has not reappeared) it has been phenominal. It is very comfortable, quiet, and most importantly wonderful to drive. The terrain response was remarkable in the several big snows we had here (somehow the big snows always happen on friday afternoon, i think it may be a conspiracy) making the truck incredibly easy to drive in the slippery conditions, and giving the driver a great sense of confidence.

I have also had some fun with it, as part of the Minnesota Land Rovers Club we took our trucks out on a frozen lake for some ice racing! The club members that rode along with me were very impressed.

pictures and video of my LR3 can be found here... http://homepage.mac.com/fbaer

email me if you have any more questions.