LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this P light for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 04:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 145 Likes on 127 Posts
Default What is this P light for?

Does anyone know what the amber warning light on the left side means when it is illuminated? The left jpg below shows both an amber and red indicator light illuminated, the second jpg, just the amber warning light illuminated.

The red P light on the right means the Parking Brake is on but the amber light on the right hand side, I do not know what it means.

The red light goes on when I put on the parking brake and off as it should when I release the Parking Brake so it operates as it should.

The yellow light is off most of the time but for the last couple of months or so, will appear on occasion and then extinguish itself for no apparent reason and not reappear for another week or two.

I reread the section in the LR3 Owner's Handbook, pages 107 and 112 that seems to refer to the lights and it says flashing red or illuminated amber means a fault with the Park Brake system.

My Parking Brake seems OK but what also puzzles me is why there are two light symbols? The book on page 112 does not seem to make a reference to there being two light symbols.

The picture on page 107 however does show two warning light indicators, each called PARK BRAKE in the same location at the top of the Speedometer circle where I have the P plus brake shoe warning indicator symbols.

No error messages show on the display, the amber light just comes on and then goes away, all for no apparent reason.

I wondered if anyone knew what this was all about or had seen it occur before.

Attached Thumbnails What is this P light for?-p-light-double-illuminated.jpg   What is this P light for?-p-light-single-illuminated.jpg  
Old 11-17-2014, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

The "PARK BRAKE" message is for USA. In Canada that's illegal because the French speaking people cannot read it, so you get symbols instead of words.

Original 2005 manual (from 2004):
What is this P light for?-original-manaul-2004-image.jpgWhat is this P light for?-original-manaul-2004.jpg

2006 Manual on topix:
What is this P light for?-2006-manual-part-1.jpgWhat is this P light for?-2006-manual-part-2.jpgWhat is this P light for?-2006-manual-part-3.jpg

I'm not sure why they never updated the 2005 manual.

Last edited by jafir; 11-17-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Also, you should be able to read the codes with your nanocom, that might be able to give you a clue why it came on.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Default no nasty message either

I really appreciate the quick replies. This one has had me puzzled.

The extracts from TOPIX are of course news to me. I have to agree with the French reality here in Canada. As such, I appreciated the "translation".

What is ironic is that my wife and I spent September in France and Italy with a Renault Scenic 2.0 diesel 6 speed manual "Van". (It is a real hot rod by the way, even though the Fiat 500's were flying by me in Italy.)

It seems 130 kph is a recommended minimum on the Autostrada's. My driving skills barely allowed me to keep pace with the Man's and Iveco's - they really know how to drive over there. Also there were a surprising number of Discovery's, 3 and 4's everywhere, also going by me.

To return to what I was going to say, all the hard radio/AC/Heater markings etc were all in English. One could of course set the GPS and some of the dash flat screen display instruments to any number of languages as per our 3's but it seems Renault builds their vehicles for the EU market and English is the best language when a button is hard marked - and then there is us here .....

So I can presume that the right indicator is for the operation of the parking brake - to tell you it is either engaged or off and the left marking perhaps indicates that it may not work correctly. In my case, amber would suggest that there is some fault somewhere in the parking software or perhaps the mechanism even though the parking brake is not engaged.

This would be much like the Anti Lock brake light coming on - to indicate that somewhere in the anti lock mechanism or software, there is a fault and hence has most likely been disabled.

Yes, I did a code read and erase a couple of months ago. I guess I will do that again and record and attempt to analyze the generated codes. Last time, once I did the erase, the light went off and I was happy and did not pay too much attention to the codes. Now that the light has reappeared, I guess I will have to try to figure out why the parking brake system appears unhappy. Personally I expect it will be something unrelated to the parking brake system and that is what makes it a challenge.

Also I note that no nasty message pop up on the display - just the amber light.

For what it is worth, you might note that the red fuel burning heater light is illuminated and there is a trace of the clock display showing. (The camera flash kind of blinded the clock on the dash readout). The red fuel burning heater light now indicates that the headlights are on. In the newer 3's and 4's, the symbol is a headlight and the colour is green; for me the light functioning came about as a side benefit of the Clock on the Dash flash. Part of me has wondered if the Brake Light illumination I am complaining about is somehow related, but I think not.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:26 AM
Pro Wrench
Default Dirty MAF sensor?

In my quest for "it must be something else", I called up the DCT codes, cleared same, and the amber P light when out.

The two codes were P0171 and P0174 whatever that means.

As such, I did a Google and found as below for Ford a discussion related to lean fuel concerns that tie into dirty Mass Airflow Sensors. The 171 relates to a lean code for cylinder bank 1, (right side), and 174 for bank 2, (left side), so at least there is some consistency in my codes.

Further to the two lights and the info provided in the previous post attachments, I got reading further in my Owners Manual with regards to the operation of the Electronic Parking Brake, it is called; (I call it trouble).

To my consternation, it seems the park brake system is so complicated it requires two trouble lights and that the colour of the individual lights does not change. The right one is red and the left one is always amber; sometimes they are illuminate solid on, sometimes flashing, and that is usually not good.

In my case, I am thinking the left yellow park brake light is now acting more like a MIL check engine light. My MIL light was not on by the way.

Any thoughts re the MAF needing cleaning?

Ford P0171 & P0174 Lean Codes

Old 11-18-2014, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

Could be dirty injectors too causing the lean codes I suppose. For some reason I'm thinking there was a ECM software update also.... but I could be thinking about some other car I owned.

I cleaned the injectors on my last LR3 with
Amazon.com: OTC Tools (7448A) Fuel Injection Cleaner Canister: Automotive Amazon.com: OTC Tools (7448A) Fuel Injection Cleaner Canister: Automotive

and

one of these:
Amazon.com: Dorman 800-131 Spring Lock Fuel Line Connector: Automotive Amazon.com: Dorman 800-131 Spring Lock Fuel Line Connector: Automotive

and some BG fuel cleaner from just about any dealership.

I used CRC maf cleaner.

Good results with both, but I don't think I was getting any codes. Your problem must not be TOO bad if the check engine light didn't come on too. Must be intermittently lean. Hopefully it isn't a fuel pump.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:49 PM
Pro Wrench
Default Fuel pump - no fun.

Yes, the fuel pump would be no fun at all.

I am starting to wonder if the Park Brake warning light is my new MIL light.

I got looking closer just now and see that the MIL light symbol on the left side does not come on at all during the startup test illumination - instead I see the amber Park Brake illuminated and then it goes off with engine start and the codes cleared.

This is getting interesting - fuel pump - that is difficult.

I guess I should start with some MAF cleaner and fuel system / injector cleaner. Thanks for the Brand / Type recommendations. One does not want to experiment with everything.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Default ECM update?

Originally Posted by jafir
For some reason I'm thinking there was a ECM software update also.... but I could be thinking about some other car I owned.
Maybe I do need a software update.

I can envision that the Clock on the Dash or HVAC software upgrades I uploaded introduced a bug that now that also has to be written over.

I will do some searching myself regarding an ECM update - probably about 2008 or later I would assume.

Thanks for the comment.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator

If you can figure out the ECM updates, let me know. I gave up after it appeared that the code currently running on my old 3 was for a petrol v6 according to genesis even though I had the V8. I'm guessing that the database isn't 100% accurate.

Old 11-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Default usually takes me about a month

Any flash takes me about a month to work up the courage to attempt it.

My understanding is that there is no way to know what software is in one's 3. It does not matter what sort of reader one has, be it the T4, IDII or Faultmate, the 3 always reads back what it was born with.

In other words, after a successful flash to a module, the software number displayed after the flash is still what it indicated prior to the flash.

As to there being a suggestion of wrong engines, I guess I can believe that just as well. Once one goes into the CCF and looks about and starts finding all the Jaguar options, one knows there is not much hope.

I also determined that those codes that always show and will not go away are probably because the CCF says you have an option installed and it is not. For example, the codes may show the Japanese pollution sensor is not working. This can be true, sort of, as while the CCF will say it is installed, it is not, hence you have an error code that clears and then constantly reappears.

After much poking about, I did feel better in that must say I did not find any apparent Model A or T software uploads available or present.

Quick Reply: What is this P light for?