LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel bounce and burning smell

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2024 | 04:59 PM
|
Mudding
Default Wheel bounce and burning smell

I've put about 500 miles on my "new" 2006 LR3 SE w/ 122k. There's some deferred maintenance that I'm chunking through, and primarily that's been plugs/filter, a front strut, and rear height sensor wiring harness. Short list are all the fluids and a sunroof leak into the drivers side but I need to wait for warmer weather.

Took the wife for a ride across the nearest pass, and after about 45 minutes of driving, got a lopsided tire vibe, then a burning smell. The vibration quickly turned into bounce/hop and I was expecting to see something adhered to the tire when I pulled over. Went around the truck, felt every inch of tire and nothing. Determined the burning plastic smell was coming from the rear but couldn't narrow it down any more than that. No (related) codes on the Autel AP200. The diagnostics took about 20 minutes, then I turned around and headed home. Took it slow but never would have known there had been an issue.

Googled it when I got back and assume it's the parking brake. Drove for half an hour today and got it again. Felt the left rear hub and it was hot to the touch where the others were cool. Seems pretty conclusive to me. I think it's coincidence this just happens to be the wheel I had off for the height sensor wiring fix a few days ago.

So my question is, how likely is this to be a replace-the-entire-ePB-shoe-assemblies vs. a remove-the-rotor-and-pull-out-the-busted-chunk-of-pad-fix? Or could it just be an adjustment? And I can't see what would trigger it after driving 20 miles. The difference is whether I order up the kit ahead of time or roll the dice. It's raining and snowing now and my garage is full so I want to time it and do it once with the right parts on hand. Also would rather not do both wheels full kit (looking at
Amazon Amazon
) if I can fix a torn chunk of pad out.

What's the "usual" fix for this?

Old 01-22-2024 | 05:53 PM
Pro Wrench

Remove the disc and check condition of the shoes and check if the pistons on that caliper are free to slide as stuck calipers are common in snowy/salty conditions, likely just needs adjustment but if its got that hot you probably should change the shoes.

The following users liked this post:
CantComplain (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024 | 06:11 PM
Camel Trophy

Yeah...it could be a stuck brake caliper rather than the EPB.

CantComplain (01-22-2024)
Old 01-22-2024 | 07:40 PM
|
Mudding

I ordered the epb shoe kit linked in my original post and I'll keep it unopened and tear into the rotor and park brake assemblies. I assume whatever it is will be pretty obvious once I'm looking at it.

Old 01-23-2024 | 04:46 PM
Rock Crawling

My park brake shoe delaminated. I almost didn’t look while replacing rear brake pads. I’m glad I did.

traen10 (01-25-2024)
Old 01-23-2024 | 07:05 PM
|
Mudding

This is what I was thinking is going on. Or maybe just a chunk. How many miles did you have on it? Or maybe it's a time thing, don't know. Were the symptoms the same?

But if I have that at least it seems pretty straightforward....

Originally Posted by P-Bod
My park brake shoe delaminated. I almost didn’t look while replacing rear brake pads. I’m glad I did.

Old 01-23-2024 | 07:11 PM
Camel Trophy

Wheel bounce would be caused by a back brake shoe. Vibration/thudding would be cause by a caliper. So I put money on parking brake. The very first time I worked on mine, one side was totally destroyed and the other looked new. As of now, I have no parking brake system at all.... next project sorta thing. I attached a guide that should help with some of this.

Attached Files
rob bartleman (01-23-2024)
Old 01-24-2024 | 08:33 AM
Rock Crawling

This was only about 110k miles on my 07. The shoes actually looked ok until I went to scuff them with a piece of sandpaper and it just fell off. The 07 did live in Washington DC and North Dakota before coming to Texas. It does have some rust.

No symptoms. Just doing maintenance. It was bound to fall off at some point and cause a severe overheat.

Old 01-25-2024 | 08:45 PM
|
Mudding

The pad kit came in today and I tore into the side that had been hot & smelly. Rotor (19mm), Pads (7mm) and caliper pins looked fine, but I struggled getting the rotor off even once I remembered to release the parking break (:eyeroll). I was able to eventually wedge it out but it was tight.

Once I had access to the guts inside it looked very new, definitely not 18 years and 120k miles of grime and pad use. Existing park brake pads were (and still are) marked Land Rover and seemed barely worn. I cleaned it all up, sanded down a couple nicks on the pad I had created getting it off, sanded (320 grit) and cleaned the inside of the drum and put it all together. The inside was a little charred and was clearly the source of the smell. Backed the adjustment all the way down and re-installed the rotor, confirming it went on and off again smoothly. I re-adjusted everything making sure it was backed off enough, erring maybe a tad on too loose rather than too tight. Buttoned it up and went for a drive with no issues. Ran the bedding procedure because I figured it couldn't hurt and I wanted to get some trust in them.

Need to get some more miles to feel fully confident but I'm pretty sure it was just adjusted too close and grabbed under certain circumstances. It happened twice, and both times were wet so maybe that's it? Not entirely dry today but not actively raining--just some snow melt from last night. I'll keep the pad kit for a few weeks before returning and if I don't get it again I'll call it good.

Attached Thumbnails Wheel bounce and burning smell-img_8844.jpg  
DakotaTravler (01-25-2024)
Old 01-25-2024 | 08:53 PM
Camel Trophy

Yeah, that does not look that old in there like I would expect. You may be correct that it was just out of adjustment. I would worry that the heat baked/damaged the shoes some. And on a side note, parking brakes are supposed to be serviced and adjusted regularly yet so few do it.

Quick Reply: Wheel bounce and burning smell