LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who was the idiot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 07:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Who was the idiot?

That designed the trailer hitch. Try though I may I cannot get the pin to slide into the receiver so the hitch is locked in place. Trying to get it in so I can go fishing on Saturday.

I've got it unlocked, it will turn but not far enough to make the sliding bar go up and lock in.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Try soaking it with WD40 and working the mechanisms. Kind of short notice to be too much help, but I'm working on a new solution.. Almost there..

Borrow one from a friend?

Old 08-07-2015, 10:19 AM
Rock Crawling

I have it unlocked. When I turn the green **** to retract the metal bar on the back side of the hitch it won't go far enough to allow it to slide into the receiver and snap into place (it's not going in as far as the one shown in the picture). There is a small pin near the top of the hitch. Is it supposed to push down and allow the metal bar to retract more? It seems like it should but it doesn't seem to be doing anything at all. This is driving me crazy.

If anyone has any suggestions my ears are open. I did WD40 everything and that didn't help.

Old 08-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Rock Crawling

Found a nail in my tire and went to get it fixed. While there asked them to see if they could help me figure this &%$**%$&*%% thing out. We ended up lubricating, grinding, hammering, cajoling, begging, screaming, cussing at it until we finally got it in.

If I ever meet the Range Rover engineer who designed this I'm gonna smack him.

The following users liked this post:
unseenone (08-07-2015)
Old 08-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Mudding
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Yes, must keep it well lubricated. Also, try not to keep it on the vehicle when not in use. Also, play around with it every few months to keep it from seizing. This 'preventative maintenance' should be accelerated if you live somewhere with extreme temperature ranges. From my own experience, lots of lubricant with lots of time and lots of patience will be ultimately more successful than a hammer. $100 to the first person who replies with "That's what she said".

Old 08-07-2015, 06:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Be absolutely 100% sure once you have it set that the latch is fully engaged. You can check that behind the metal, there is a hole there that that latch goes through..

Old 08-08-2015, 05:26 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I too needed a hitch to be working... and after reading about the seizing up of the latch mechanism, and people thinking they had them in when they were NOT successfully connected... I wished for another alternative.

This is what I've got:

WAY nicer than all that nonsense!

Dave

Old 08-08-2015, 08:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I took mine apart and reset gears and lubed internally. Have not had a problem since. It was stuck in socket and I took it apart on the truck and put the pieces on the bench and cleaned.

Old 08-08-2015, 06:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Well I took the boat to the lake today and on the way home the entire hitch disengaged from the vehicle. Fortunately I had the safety cables attached (I always do). Put it back in and S L O W L Y drove to a local boat dealer where I dropped off the boat. I'm going to install a good old fashioned Class three hitch that is bolted onto the frame.

The only damage was when the boat slammed into the tailgate denting and scratching it.

So much for over engineered OEM parts that don't work.

Does anyone have any opinions on the CURT Class III hitch for the LR3?

Old 08-09-2015, 09:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by unseenone
Be absolutely 100% sure once you have it set that the latch is fully engaged. You can check that behind the metal, there is a hole there that that latch goes through..
Add the one Ghaniba has, which is class IV. Curt is a respected brand though.

Quick Reply: Who was the idiot?