LR3 Talk about the Land Rover LR3 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your opinion - Blend door motors

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2020, 09:19 AM
Mudding
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Your opinion - Blend door motors

Hi crew. Recently found a new Indy by me who seems like a nice chap and fairly priced.

Having trouble w the ac where the face vents are blowing hot. It seems like foot and defrost blows cold and the rear ac is blowing cold.

so - seems fairly obvious it’s a stepper motor.

he wants $1600 in labor alone. Okay.

my question is - is there a way for me to understand how many stepper motors this thing has? I found a diagram that has two only - both on right side passenger size. Is that true ? I’ve read there are more. Diagram says two?

actually I Lied ?! I just went to grab the link and read it again. Now I’m reading 3.

(page 18)

https://media.disco3.co.uk/gallery/a..._Operation.pdf

so with that said -

1. Could we rule conclusively that my issue is the face and feet distribution motor
2. Does this in fact require a full dash disassembly
3. How hard is this to do ? Does anyone know of any YouTube vids or resources for it ?

Sorry for the length of this - just want to be as detailed as possible.

Car has 232k. Runs great and I’ve had her since she had 29k. Not ready to send her to bone yard but no ac is a killer.

Last edited by mirepoixmatt; 07-25-2020 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-25-2020, 12:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 777 Likes on 651 Posts

If its a temp issue, the the blend door actuator which controls the difference between the heater core and evaporator.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:33 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
If its a temp issue, the the blend door actuator which controls the difference between the heater core and evaporator.
I don't exactly know the answer to that? Is it a temp issue? I don't know. I have cold blowing in the floor/vents/rear, WHILE hot blows from the face.

It's sorta kinda a temp control issue, but not really because the certain vents are correct - while the one that's most important to me (The face) is locked on boiling hot lava heat all year round.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:36 AM
Mudding

And to follow that up - If you believe the issue is the "Temperature Blend Motor" (Which you call a an actuator - but believe it's the same thing, right?), Is this a full dash disassemble to get to ??

Thanks @DakotaTravler

Old 07-26-2020, 09:38 AM
Camel Trophy

Then someone went in there are replaced your system with something not factory, cause all those outputs are tied to the blend door.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:30 AM
Camel Trophy

An actuator is a motor mechanism that moves a door. There are only two blend doors, one for each side, that control temperature.

Old 07-26-2020, 04:46 PM
Winching
Received 115 Likes on 104 Posts

Have you checked to make sure the control head is working? It may be that the "temp ****" is not working and as such the actuator is not moving, and the actuator is in fact good.
This is a function that is available on the IIDTool. T
he control head is available online for much less than the cost to tear into a dash ( that may rattle from now on after re-assembly)

Jeff

Old 07-27-2020, 01:44 PM
Mudding

Maybe the easier question was “what part do
i replace” @DakotaTravler ?

Also - can’t believe the head unit is the issue. It controls temp in all vents but the face vents. To me, that points to something mechanical. I could be wrong.

Old 07-27-2020, 08:05 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

From the manual...
"Two temperature blend doors, one LH and one RH, regulate the flow of air through the heater core to control the temperature of the air leaving the heater."
"The air ducts for the instrument panel registers, the driver lap register and the second row registers are connected to the heater outlet manifold on top of the heater."
"The air ducts for the front and second row footwells are connected direct to outlet ports on the heater."
"When the A/C is in the automatic mode, the ATCM automatically controls air distribution according to a comfort strategy. Automatic control is overridden when one of the manual modes is selected."

In DakotaTraveller's diagram, Door #2 directs air to the footwell, the instrument panel, or both.
In the diagram, Door #1 directs air to the windshield, or to the instrument panel and floor, or all.

Sounds like somehow it's closing off the flow of cold air to the instrument panel, and sending it to the windshield and floor. It could be a stepper motor on one or both distribution doors, or it could be out of calibration, or one of the computers is confused. The rear distribution circuit (if you have rear A/C) is more or less independent of the rest.

Try manually sending air to just the footwells, windshield, or dash. Does defrost work properly?

Try the Heating AC System Test, it will show if any errors and attempt to recalibrate.
1."With ignition off press and hold ECON & RECIRC buttons while turning ignition on (no need to start car)"
The control module will compare current HVAC actuator motor positions with values stored in the module
It will indicate an error by flashing the ECON LED.
If there are no errors, the ECON LED will go out and the system will function normally.
2. To confirm that there are no errors, turn the ignition switch OFF, then back ON.
Observe the operation of the programmed DEFROST LED.
If there are errors present, the programmed DEFROST LED will flash and the system will attempt to calibrate itself.

Last edited by CoopLR3; 07-27-2020 at 08:59 PM.