LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable Johnson Rods

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 01:27 PM
4wd High
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adjustable Johnson Rods

Anyone have any design ideas for adjustable johnson rods? I would love to be able to maintain a speed of 30mph+ at off road height when we're out wheeling but I don't want to be stuck in off road height all the time because of the wear it puts on the tires, CVs, and suspension components. I'm guessing trying to hack the computer to eliminate the off road height speed limit is impossible, so the next best option would be adjustable johnson rods, but the trick would be to make them so that they could be adjusted in about 15 minutes or less and obviously without having to remove the wheels to do so. If anyone can come up with a good design, I'm willing to build it!

Old 12-19-2020, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,589 Likes on 1,305 Posts

Why not use the gap tool to just reset the height takes 5 minutes

Old 12-19-2020, 12:16 PM
4wd High

Thanks for the response! I haven't heard of the gap tool. Sounds like it is something that can accomplish the software hack method that I would actually prefer. Is there a website or thread that you can point me to that would give me more info on the gap tool?

Old 12-19-2020, 02:35 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 12-19-2020, 02:36 PM
4wd High

Thanks!

Old 12-19-2020, 03:12 PM
LR Forum Vendor
Received 92 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mericamark
Anyone have any design ideas for adjustable johnson rods? I would love to be able to maintain a speed of 30mph+ at off road height when we're out wheeling but I don't want to be stuck in off road height all the time because of the wear it puts on the tires, CVs, and suspension components. I'm guessing trying to hack the computer to eliminate the off road height speed limit is impossible, so the next best option would be adjustable johnson rods, but the trick would be to make them so that they could be adjusted in about 15 minutes or less and obviously without having to remove the wheels to do so. If anyone can come up with a good design, I'm willing to build it!
We have had many customers running the Johnson Rods full time for 10 years and there has not been any additional wear. It's best to have them full time with an alignment and that will prevent tire wear and make the ride better.
We also have a 1.5 inch lift as show below:

1.5 inch lift 265-65-18

Old 12-19-2020, 04:09 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 255/65r19

Originally Posted by Johnson Rods
We have had many customers running the Johnson Rods full time for 10 years and there has not been any additional wear. It's best to have them full time with an alignment and that will prevent tire wear and make the ride better.
We also have a 1.5 inch lift as show below:

1.5 inch lift 265-65-18
Can you fit 255/65r19s with the 1.5”?

Old 12-19-2020, 04:28 PM
LR Forum Vendor

Yes, you can use the 1.5 with that tire, but the 2.5 would be better with a 255-65-19 at 32 inches. That's a good size for the LR4 as the narrower width prevents rub on the frame horn when turning. It is an XL 50 psi tire which has a nice ride vs an E load tire. A Goodyear AT and MT is available. Originally made for the new land Rover Defender it has an LR on the sidewall. I have the 255-60-20 AT also 32 inches on my Ranger Rover Sport L494.

Stock 19's with 1.5 inch lift

Old 12-19-2020, 05:13 PM
4wd High

I've read in other forums that the biggest problem with johnson rods is tire wear, even after an alignment. Have you had any issues with alignment being maxed out but unable to get the proper angle? Also, with johnson rods, would it cause a problem to use off road height after having installed them? Seems like it might be pushing the suspension angles a little too far under load at that point?

Last edited by mericamark; 12-19-2020 at 05:16 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 05:28 PM
LR Forum Vendor

Only time you have tire wear is if you don't do an alignment. The suspension is designed to work at those angles so this has not been an issue. The suspension is firmer in off road mode however the ride is still good and the extra ground clearance makes up for it. Everyone seems to have an opinion, but the actual users like them very much and always come back to upgrade their new vehicles when they sell or trade in the old one. I have repeat customers using rods for over 10 years and now putting them on the new Defender.

Quick Reply: Adjustable Johnson Rods