LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have a great setup for hauling kayaks?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2020 | 12:16 PM
|
Overlanding
Default Anyone have a great setup for hauling kayaks?

I have a 2011 LR4 HSE and am looking to haul two 10" single sit on-top kayaks. First, I have factory crossbars, but I noticed today they appear to be locked in place and since I bought this vehicle used I don't have the key, so that could end up being problematic. With my old vehicle I just used stack the kayaks on the roof of my SUV on foam blocks and use ratchet straps to hold them in place. However, they ended up scratching up the roof and denting it in slightly, so looking to go a better route. The vehicle was old so I didn't really care, but wouldn't want this to happen to the LR4. I am also getting a little older and it gets pretty hard hoisting the kayaks on top of the vehicle and I think my LR4 might even be taller than my old SUV. Can do it, but the easier the better. I have no skills to make a diy Harbor Freight kayak trailer like I have seen others. Looking to work this out on a budget as well. Anybody doing something that is working well for them?

Old 06-07-2020 | 09:52 PM
4wd Low

IMO, easiest way is on the roof unless you want to buy a small trailer. In order to make it easier to get them on the roof, I would look into a bar that attaches to the two cross bars so you slide them up there from the side. You could probably rig something up with pvc pipe and a pool noodle for padding. This is a handy video that demonstrates the technique:

i carry two sit on tops on my LR4 all the time using factory roof rails and no damage to the truck yet. I stack them on top of each other and cinch them down using regular NRS cinch straps. Works well even on the highway.

Only other option I can think of is to put a pad on the back of the hatch where the high brake light is so you could slide them up from the rear.

Good luck!