Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum

Land Rover Forums - Land Rover Enthusiast Forum (https://landroverforums.com/forum/)
-   LR4 (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr4-38/)
-   -   Is It Crazy To Buy Used 10-12 LR4? (https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr4-38/crazy-buy-used-10-12-lr4-93362/)

CB7010 02-06-2019 08:07 AM

Is It Crazy To Buy Used 10-12 LR4?

Currently own a LR3 w/ 215K miles and starting to look for a replacement. Thought the LR4 would be a natural progression (improvement?); but, immediately starting seeing posts about a very expensive to fix timing chain/guide defect and TSB in the 2010-12 models. Then reading through the LR4 forum here for the first time, it would seem the LR4 may not be very reliable or an improvement over the LR3 at all. That said, the list prices on used LR4's are coming down and I'm looking for any info or tips you might have related to shopping for one? Would you require proof of the timing chain issue being remedied?

Have loved our LR3, when it's working properly and done considerably DIY on many of the small problems; but, it seems the LR4 may have it's own long list of quirky defects. I'm wondering if I'm crazy even looking at them versus heading toward something more reliable like a 4runner.

Appreciate and thoughts or input you can share.

ArmyRover 02-06-2019 08:18 AM

They are good trucks just a bit more expensive. The 5.0 is a great motor just not as bullet proof as the 4.4 Jag.

By now I would bet the timing chain update is done on most. The other big thing is don't overheat it. That is a one and done with that motor.

​​​​​​Love the body and interior of the LR4 little cautious when it comes to the motor.

Gator996 02-06-2019 08:24 AM

I just made the leap from a 2005 LR3 to a 2010 HSE LUX LR4. I absolutely love the updated interior. I dig the painted wheel arches too. My only complaint with mine is a leaking manifold gasket. Finding the unicorn with service records and all preventive maintenance carried out was my challenge but I bought the best example I could for my budget. Bottom line is I would do it again. Great truck.

CB7010 02-06-2019 09:11 AM

I generally agree; but, I've found it difficult to determine the maintenance history of a specific vehicle and from my perspective the price I'd pay for a used LR is mostly dependent on maintenance status and history. In fact, buying used vehicles is interesting in the sense that very few sellers present service history records and/or recent qualified inspection report and you'd think those with a clean, well maintained vehicle would want to do so to increase the value. Without it, I have to assume the worst, which makes most LR4's I've seen overpriced. Wondering if LR dealers have the ability to look up a VIN for maintenance history for the big repairs and if they will readily do it?

ArmyRover 02-06-2019 09:28 AM

All Land Rover dealers can see the service history for work completed by Land Rover. If they will share it depends greatly on the dealership.

MichiganRover 02-07-2019 06:10 PM

I just did so hopefully not!

gypsy 02-08-2019 03:17 PM

I rolled the dice...coming from a 2006 LR3 HSE as well. We grabbed a 2012 HSE Limited with HD Package and 40k miles. Fully loaded with all options including rear seat entertainment.

I figured worst case scenario if the motor blows I'll do an LS swap maybe a 6.0L or 6.2L. The swap kits exist now so it's relatively easy to do from what I've seen and will cost not much more than a replacement used 5.0L.

ArmyRover 02-08-2019 08:44 PM

Do you have a link to the LS swap kits for a LR4?

Rufflyer 02-10-2019 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by CB7010 (Post 679436)
I generally agree; but, I've found it difficult to determine the maintenance history of a specific vehicle and from my perspective the price I'd pay for a used LR is mostly dependent on maintenance status and history. In fact, buying used vehicles is interesting in the sense that very few sellers present service history records and/or recent qualified inspection report and you'd think those with a clean, well maintained vehicle would want to do so to increase the value. Without it, I have to assume the worst, which makes most LR4's I've seen overpriced. Wondering if LR dealers have the ability to look up a VIN for maintenance history for the big repairs and if they will readily do it?

When looking at the local used car lots, I have been pretty close at guessing the additional costs with the LR3's when it comes to bringing them in service specs (my latest 2006 purchase needed a new front diff and left front wheel bearing, but that was what drove the price down to a number I could be happy with). The 90K inspection is a big one and the parts can average close to $900 for fluids and filters. But, you should consider a few things that may not be on the 90K list such as lower control arm bushings, inner tie rods, front wheel bearings. My latest 2006 purchase needed a new front diff and left front wheel bearing, but that was what drove the price down to a number I could be happy with.

On the other side of the shopping experience, I did buy my wife 2014 from the internet vending maching and was very happy with the car, the buying experience and the warranty and it my price requirement.

Bottom line is I plan $1800-$2000 above the listed price and ask myself; "IF the 90K service was done and any of these other items were fixed, would I pay asking price for this car?"
Good luck. Let us know what you find......OH and as they say, no pictures, it didn't happen.

jeffh 02-10-2019 11:23 AM

I have just.. as in yesterday done this very thing. I went from a 2006 lr3 that was built right with 132K to a 2011 LR4 with 59k. I need to look at the compressor, EAS relay. other than that its good to go. I have done my research. and am happy with the choice. Yes the reapirs can be a little more than the LR#, but in truth not that much. Find a good indy mechanic, offer to buy parts for the repairs, keep the up with regular mantainence and you should be in good shape. The 5.0 engines can be a little noisier but nothing to worry about. Now to start with the mods....