LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Wants $5000 to replace waterpump

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2023, 01:11 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Wants $5000 to replace waterpump

Can anyone chime in and let me know what's a reasonable price is to replace the water pump on a 2016 LR4? Dealer wants to charge close to $5,000 to replace the pump. When I went in the car was fine, they recommended I replace the pump based on "brittle hoses". I declined. On the way home from the dealer the car over heated, now it's back at the dealership.

Old 01-09-2023, 03:11 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't tell you what's reasonable but I can tell you that $5K is not.

I'd recommend finding a local independent British auto mechanic in the area for comparison.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:14 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

That is outrageous.. My local indie wants 3500 to change the crossover pipes, thermostat, water pump, oil cooler and hoses plus a few other while he has everything open. And that included parts.

Old 01-12-2023, 05:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 672 Posts

If they're quoting 5k they should be able to provide a written estimate showing what is and isn't included. Grab that from them then post it up here. I bet it includes replacement of a bunch if not all of the cooling system components like hoses/clamps/plastic tubes/etc.

The following 2 users liked this post by nashvegas:
guy (01-24-2024), mmbirtcher (05-04-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 09:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Main water pump only at main dealer's usually around a grand, DIY less than $200. As others said, provide a list of parts quoted or the description of the work to be performed (some main dealers are no longer providing detailed quotes)>

Old 02-20-2023, 10:22 AM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SpceWrnglr
Can anyone chime in and let me know what's a reasonable price is to replace the water pump on a 2016 LR4? Dealer wants to charge close to $5,000 to replace the pump. When I went in the car was fine, they recommended I replace the pump based on "brittle hoses". I declined. On the way home from the dealer the car over heated, now it's back at the dealership.
I'd do what the others suggested and get it towed to an independent mechanic. I would never ever support a dealer like that. That's about 5x too high. If they're screwing you that bad, it's not worth dealing with them. Also, for an LR4 that's out of warranty, no point in using a dealer unless you're forced to, like for the recall issues which the independents can't do.

The following users liked this post:
mmbirtcher (05-04-2023)
Old 02-22-2023, 11:14 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

That price is definitely to replace the coolant crossovers, not just the water pump. The only brittle hoses are the crossover pipes. I just wonder if they messed around with them and fractured one before the car left the dealership. What was the car in the shop for? Coolant leak? If not, what prompted the recommendation to replace the coolant pipes?

The following users liked this post:
guy (03-08-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 07:02 AM
guy
Winching
Received 130 Likes on 114 Posts

Quite right @jlglr4 .
I suppose its possible that the pipes are brittle…. But I have no idea where in the world @SpceWrnglr is located…
Running in very extreme temperatures, not performing the scheduled maintenance and flushing the fluid, and spilled oil are all contributors to weakened rubber.

Old 04-12-2023, 07:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by guy
Quite right @jlglr4 .
I suppose its possible that the pipes are brittle…. But I have no idea where in the world @SpceWrnglr is located…
Running in very extreme temperatures, not performing the scheduled maintenance and flushing the fluid, and spilled oil are all contributors to weakened rubber.
I think what is being referred to is the well-known weakness of the coolant crossover pipes that do indeed decompose over time and need to be replaced. This has nothing to do with operating climate, but is rather a design fault. The process of replacing the crossover pipes is significant, and it's normal that the water pump would be replaced at the same time. That said $5K is steep even for all the work that's involved. I would be concerned that in investigating the issue the dealer has caused the leak.

Old 04-17-2023, 11:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I had the cross-over pipes replaced, new coolant, thermostat and hoses changed out. It was on our 2010 Range Rover Sport v8 non-super charged. The removal of the supercharger adds some labor to the process. Cost of labor and parts at a highly recommended independent shop in Orem, Utah, was $1,700. $5,000 is an absolute ripoff. Run, don't walk. Good luck. Phil

Quick Reply: Dealer Wants $5000 to replace waterpump