LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dying LR3 - On to LR4

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 12:13 PM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dying LR3 - On to LR4

Hello,

I bought my 2005 LR3 with 92,000 miles in 2012. It now has 166k miles and is in need of quite a bit of repair - differential, hub bearing, axle, bushings, and more at a repair cost of 11k. Just a couple of years ago I put 5k in service into it, and I got it for 13.5k. I've always said that when it's time to replace the LR3, that I'd get an LR4. It looks like that time may have come sooner than I expected! With that said, a couple of questions / observation:
  1. Wow - these are crazy expensive. I remember pricing these out in late 2015 / early 2016 and they were something like 30-35k for vehicles with 50k miles or so. Now they're the same price 7 years later with 100k+ miles! I know the used market is bad now, but jeez. With prices so crazy, maybe I just fix the 3 until I have a more serious issue (if that's possible)
  2. What to do with the LR3? Not sure I'd get much out of it. Is there enough crossover in parts that it might be worth holding on to? I don't necessarily want to start a junkyard.
  3. As I USE my Land Rovers, I don't want anything too clean and pristine. I toss kayaks on the top, off road in fields with mud, snow, etc. I tow an RV with it and camp and hunt. Think I should just pony up for a lower mileage one so that it will last longer in theory?
Any feedback is appreciated!

Old 03-23-2022, 04:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

$11K sounds like a lot of money for the hub, axle, bushings, and differential. Not sure what else was included in the “and more.” Is that a dealership quote?

Personally, I don’t think it’s worth holding onto the LR3 as a parts car for the LR4. I’m sure there’s quite a lot that will fit, but just as much that won’t. Even for the parts that would fit, there’s the time spent pulling the old parts off the parts car (almost like doing the repair twice in some cases), and for mechanical parts - they’ve already got a lot of wear on them.

If you move to the LR4, sounds like you’ll want the HD package for sure - makes it a little harder to find. In the 2013 (V8) model, HD gives you the rear locking diff, and in the 2014-2016 (SCV6) models it gives you the rear locking diff, center locking diff, and low range gearing. Without the HD, the 2014-2016 cars had no low range gearing and only a torsion limited slip center diff (on the center diff - that’s my understanding, although I’ve seen some debate on it).

Old 03-23-2022, 06:02 PM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the response. Yeah I don't know what good I'd get out of the LR3, who knows. But I'm not sure what I could possibly get out of it. The repairs are:
  1. Rear upper control arms
  2. Rear hub bearing and parking brake / backing plate stuff
  3. Rear differential
  4. Rear driveshaft assembly
  5. Leak detection pump
  6. Windshield washer pump
  7. Front lower control arms
  8. Service
  9. Brake fluid
  10. Hood support struts
This is an independent shop.

I'm probably looking for an older LR4, and it seems that as long as those have the high/low switch I should be good yeah? Only in the later years was that an option from my recent research.

Originally Posted by jlglr4
$11K sounds like a lot of money for the hub, axle, bushings, and differential. Not sure what else was included in the “and more.” Is that a dealership quote?

Personally, I don’t think it’s worth holding onto the LR3 as a parts car for the LR4. I’m sure there’s quite a lot that will fit, but just as much that won’t. Even for the parts that would fit, there’s the time spent pulling the old parts off the parts car (almost like doing the repair twice in some cases), and for mechanical parts - they’ve already got a lot of wear on them.

If you move to the LR4, sounds like you’ll want the HD package for sure - makes it a little harder to find. In the 2013 (V8) model, HD gives you the rear locking diff, and in the 2014-2016 (SCV6) models it gives you the rear locking diff, center locking diff, and low range gearing. Without the HD, the 2014-2016 cars had no low range gearing and only a torsion limited slip center diff (on the center diff - that’s my understanding, although I’ve seen some debate on it).

Old 03-24-2022, 12:43 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At the very least be sure to grab your tow hitch receiver and related gear, including the wire harness. I'd be surprised if you find something on the used car lot that comes with those items and it sounds like you'll need them. It'll save you several hundred dollars if you just keep what you have.

Finding a 2014-2016 with low range and the rear locker isn't as difficult as some make it out to be. If you need the rear locker I actually think it's easier to find one in the 2014-2016 because if it has rock crawl it'll have the locker and the two speed transfer case, where as in the 2013 and earlier rock crawl could be included with or without the locker.

Just a reminder that if you go to an LR4 and want 18" wheels, there's a cost worth considering associated with that. It'd be nice if you could just throw on LR3 18s and be good, but unfortunately that's not the case without some creative grinding on the brake calipers.

If you have rubber mats, you might consider keeping those as well, if you have something to replace them.

Unfortunately, there really is nothing else like these trucks out there. As I'm sure you know, look for something.with an impeccable service history, and if that means you have to ship it to get it, it's worth it. It cost me $1,400 to ship from Miami to Southern California, but it was a one owner car, that had been maintained under a service contract, and it was much cheaper than what I could get for an equivalent vehicle out here.

Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
LeethalG32 (03-26-2022)
Old 04-01-2022, 03:13 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy a Landcruiser

Old 04-24-2022, 02:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sh74
Buy a Landcruiser

oh, here we go…

The following users liked this post:
TrioLRowner (05-17-2022)
Old 05-17-2022, 03:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 700 Likes on 405 Posts

Naw .. buy my older LR4 which I just put up for sale on this marketplace. Enjoy !!