LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty recommendation LR4 in US

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2021 | 07:30 PM
|
2nd Gear
Default Extended warranty recommendation LR4 in US

Does anybody have a recommendation on which extended warranty company to buy? Based on specific experience filing claims. I’m buying a 2013 LR4 HSE. Thinking it may be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Royou; 07-25-2021 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-27-2021 | 08:44 AM

We just purchased a 2011 LR4 HSE with 152,000 miles and it took us a while to find a good extended warranty. The best we found is CarShield. We have a $200 deductible, it covers engine and powertrain up to $10,000 or the value of the vehicle (if it is less than $10k). Ours is $150 a month no contract. After you purchased your warranty you have to wait 500 miles and 20 days before you can take it to a shop and use the warranty. All your maintenance must be done by an ASE certified shop and the warranty service wants records of them. I know our monthly payment was gonna be a bit higher but we got a "first time caller discount" they had running. This was last week so it may still be available.

The next best we had found was $400 for 3 months and only covered $2,000. So after you pay the $400 they pretty much cover $1,600. We didnt see that worth it.

Hope this helped! Good luck! Congrats on the vehicle!
I will edit to add that we have not filed a claim yet. I do know that the shop contacts the claims and it works that way. I can update when we have used it. There were limited availability for extended warranties on Rovers and at the mileage ours is.

Last edited by theblackpearl-lr4; 07-27-2021 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-27-2021 | 08:49 AM
|
2nd Gear
Default Extended Warranties

Originally Posted by theblackpearl-lr4
We just purchased a 2011 LR4 HSE with 152,000 miles and it took us a while to find a good extended warranty. The best we found is CarShield. We have a $200 deductible, it covers engine and powertrain up to $10,000 or the value of the vehicle (if it is less than $10k). Ours is $150 a month no contract. After you purchased your warranty you have to wait 500 miles and 20 days before you can take it to a shop and use the warranty. All your maintenance must be done by an ASE certified shop and the warranty service wants records of them. I know our monthly payment was gonna be a bit higher but we got a "first time caller discount" they had running. This was last week so it may still be available.

The next best we had found was $400 for 3 months and only covered $2,000. So after you pay the $400 they pretty much cover $1,600. We didnt see that worth it.

Hope this helped! Good luck! Congrats on the vehicle!
I will edit to add that we have not filed a claim yet. I do know that the shop contacts the claims and it works that way. I can update when we have used it. There were limited availability for extended warranties on Rovers and at the mileage ours is.
Thank you for reply...very helpful!

The following users liked this post:
theblackpearl-lr4 (07-27-2021)
Old 07-27-2021 | 04:02 PM

In addition-

My husband just called and spoke with Car Shield. He had some questions about the maintenance and stuff. So, the oil changes and such no not have to be done by a certified mechanic, you can do them as long as you save receipts and keep a written log of what you have done. Also, the coverage of up to $10,000 can be coverage to $18k if that is your vehicle's value and such. Your dollar coverage also RESETS at the end of each month! So say you have a $6,000 repair in July and then you have a $7,000 repair in August and your coverage is $10,000. You're covered for it all because it was in separate months. We were fairly shocked when we learned this, we assumed it was $10,000 a year or whatever the dollar amount is.

Old 07-28-2021 | 12:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Royou
Does anybody have a recommendation on which extended warranty company to buy? Based on specific experience filing claims. I’m buying a 2013 LR4 HSE. Thinking it may be helpful. Thanks in advance.
I can provide a quote and example contract on a manufactures extension courtesy of Freedom Warranty. Serviceable by any Land Rover dealer or licensed independent in North America. Text or call me at (602) 909-9216 or send me an email at tgibson@highline-autos.com

Old 08-04-2021 | 08:51 PM
Mudding

My advice - CANCEL your Car Shield Contract immediately. Checkout Yelp Reviews and BBB. Beware of 'fake positive' review sites. Checkout Delta Auto Protect - fortunately these crooks are now being shut down, but not before stealing lots of money from lots of people. Car Shield seem to have similar sales tactics. Do this - find a reason to use the Car Shield Warranty, so that you can experience the entire process, before you give them too much money. Caveat - this is my opinion, based on a fair amount of research. I have yet to find a Warranty company that I trust. I also recommend that you call EVERY reputable auto-repair facility in your area, and ask them if they have had any experience with Car Shield, and ask them if they would actually recommend and Warranty companies. Show them the Car Shield Contract small-print, and ask them what they think of it. Sorry - not bashing you or your decision. Not here to start a fight. I mostly hang-out on the LR3 forum site, but I recently picked up an LR4 as well, so I am looking forward to providing specific maintenance and repair advice as soon as the LR4 starts to misbehave. I mostly do my own wrenching, but I also use a trusted local Indy on occasion.

Old 08-05-2021 | 11:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Great observation on the Car Shield BBB rating, it is one thing to have a couple poor reviews on miss understanding coverage, but over 3,000 complaints and a F rating from the BBB themselves, I've never seen that before. Freedom Warranty, the warranty company I work with and have my personal Range Rover covered under, has an A+ rating with the BBB. I just had one of my customers covered on wheel bearings replacement for their Range Rover's, no hassle in accepting coverage.

Old 08-05-2021 | 01:01 PM
Mudding

I have a few spare minutes, so I figured I would share some additional information and reference material -

1. There is a Facebook page that was started by someone who was Scammed by Delta Auto Protect - https://www.facebook.com/groups/785804665228959/
2. Some Youtube videos relating to Car Shield issues -
a.
b.
c.
d.
e.

Some recommended basic questions to ask / information to gather, when you are researching (interviewing) prospective Extended Warranty companies -

1. Will the company email you a complete and specific detailed quote (copy of contract), showing all terms and conditions? BEFORE you pay anything?
2. Showing EVERY part that is or is not included within the Warranty?
3. Including details regarding the reimbursement process, i.e. how and when they will pay the repair facility? Will the Warranty company provide credit card payment over the phone to the Repair facility, or will the repair facility need to wait for Warranty company to send a Check?
4. Also, will it ever be necessary for the consumer (vehicle owner / policy holder) to first pay the repair facility for any reason?
5. Also, complete details relating to parts, i.e. does the contract allow the repair facility to purchase the parts. And are these Parts New, used? And are they OEM? What is the Warranty on these Parts?
6. Also, detailed and precise details relating to maintenance requirements prior to the claim, both during and prior to the start date of the contract.
7. Also, service level expectations and deadlines, for example how long a service facility can expect to be waiting for a response from the company.
8. Also, details of the policy cancellation.
9. What is the name of your company Insurance Underwriter?
10. What is the name and contact information of the owner of your company?
11. What is the name and contact information of the CEO and President of your company?
12. What is your company EIN (or FEIN - Federal Employer Identification Number)?
13. Where do the employees work from? Are they all based in an office? What is the address?

....Be careful folks - The entire 'Warranty' industry (vehicle, home, etc) is littered with AWFUL companies - Basically criminals.

Old 08-05-2021 | 02:59 PM
Rock Crawling

It’s also a good idea to check with your state’s applicable consumer protection division (attorney general, department of insurance, or whatever other entity is responsible in your state - varies state to state). In California, for instance, any third party vehicle service contract provider needs to be licensed by the department of insurance, which requires among other things a showing of certain minimum assets or a backup insurance company obligor. They also apparently need to be sold through licensed car dealers - direct sales are illegal. Not saying that’s a good policy or a bad one (protects consumers against fraud, but also makes policies more expensive as you’re paying a middleman) but if you are dealing with a company that is not following the rules in your state, you could be in for a surprise down the road.