LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel gauge and suspension fault?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2021 | 08:07 AM
|
4wd Low
Default Fuel gauge and suspension fault?

Hey everybody. Recently had something weird start to happen. Started my 2010 LR4 today, all was well. After a few seconds, my fuel gauge went blank and got a low fuel warning. Seconds before it said 229 miles to empty which is correct. THEN after a few more seconds, I got a suspension fault and only normal height was allowed. I’ve searched but couldn’t find anything relating to both of these popping up together. The fuel gauge works so it seems like a computer issue?

The other day I removed the driver seat to repair stitching on the bottom part. The only thing unplugged was the electronics for the seat. I unplugged the battery for a minute then hooked it back up and all was well again…for a few seconds.

Im hoping for an answer other than “hook it up to a reader.” I have RSW software that supposedly works for the LR4 but I don’t have the OBD2 reader for it. Any guidance is appreciated.

Battery is from 1/2020. Each time it is disconnected then reconnected, the fuel gauge works for about 10 seconds.

Old 09-14-2021 | 09:49 AM
Camel Trophy

The RSW Solutions software uses a generic ODBII reader you can get on Amazon for $15, just need to purchase the correct WiFi one as listed on the RSW site.

Usually when you have faults like that I tend to lead to battery/ground/charging issues. Since battery is new I would at least check the running voltage and go from there.

Old 09-14-2021 | 09:53 AM
|
4wd Low

Originally Posted by DakotaTravler
The RSW Solutions software uses a generic ODBII reader you can get on Amazon for $15, just need to purchase the correct WiFi one as listed on the RSW site.

Usually when you have faults like that I tend to lead to battery/ground/charging issues. Since battery is new I would at least check the running voltage and go from there.
OBD2 reader is on the way from Amazon.

Battery and alternator tested and passed.

About a week ago I took it through some water that was deeper than expected. Engine ran rough after but it cleared up overnight. No issues for a week after that.

Old 09-14-2021 | 09:59 AM
Camel Trophy

If it was brackish water, I would not rule out the alternator even if voltage appears okay. It could be providing low amperage. Engine running rough is odd, these things can go pretty deep unless you get water into the intake system. Connections are generally water tight, except the ground points. So going back to those I would remove/inspect the main ground point from the battery negative post. And I believe there is another ground point behind the right wheel well liner at frame that is known to cause issues.

FYI, I am pretty sure fuel gauge wiring goes along the right side of the truck along the frame then behind the right wheel well liner is the connection. On an LR4 I don't think it is as common, but on an LR3 the poor factory install of the wiring results in rubbing on the "horn" that is welded to the frame. A large metal "block". The harness is not well covered and any one of several wires can rub through so it can cause fuel reading issues or even inoperable gauges. Maybe there was some wear and the deep water accelerated some corrosion issues. But it would be weird to have a working gauge than not from just that. Usually its more consistent. Worth a look.

How deep did you go?

Old 09-14-2021 | 10:12 AM
|
4wd Low

Almost above the tires but not fully. It was clean mountain river water

I know ground connects are a good place to check but the fact that disconnecting and reconnecting the battery make everything work normal for a few seconds makes me think it’s more of a computer issue.

Old 09-14-2021 | 10:38 AM
Camel Trophy

On the LR3 the gauge is driven directly by the sending units with no computer between the display gauge and readings. While the cluster on the LR4 is significantly different, I would think its the same basic design.

You clearly have a bigger issue though since that is not particularly deep yet you had engine issues. Look like you need to pull codes and dig around a bit maybe.

Old 09-14-2021 | 12:04 PM
|
4wd Low

Checked ground connections and they seem solid. Here’s a video after reconnecting the battery.

Old 09-14-2021 | 07:13 PM
|
4wd Low

Here’s the video of the river crossing to show how deep it was.

Old 09-17-2021 | 02:07 PM
|
4wd Low

Here it is. Ran the RSW software and found out I do
in fact have 2 separate issues. 1st is the fuel level sensor circuit. There’s a TSB for it to replace the connector and splice the wires together at the top of the fuel tank.

2nd is my rear valve block is leaking. Easy rebuild.

Called LR Richmond and asked about fixing the TSB and attempted to have them cover the cost. That didn’t work out for me. However, I was informed that there was a pending recall on the gas tank fuel sending unit seal. Letters will be sent out soon for the recall and since they have to drop the tank to fix the recall, all I have to do is pay the $2 for the splice connectors. Advice received by service writer, “use your odometer and top off often.”

Old 10-16-2021 | 07:57 PM
|
4wd Low

Solved the issue. A few weeks ago we had heavy rain. Sunroof clogged=flooded floorboard. Lights galore. Thought it was flood damage causing the lights so I took it to a shop and filed an insurance claim hoping to total then buy another LR4. Diagnosis says water didn’t cause the lights, a wheel speed sensor was causing it. All of this and the fuel tank level is still not working. Anyway, because they wanted $100+ for a $25 Bosch speed sensor, I decided to fix it myself. When I went to unplug the old sensor, the entire connector broke off of the harness. Look at the harness and there are FIVE OTHER BROKEN WIRES.

Removed the spare, got my soldering gun, then got to work. Couple hours later after they all got soldered back up, no lights, no codes, air suspension raised as normal, and my fuel level is registering on the cluster.

I’m back baby.

The following users liked this post:
jahummer (10-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge and suspension fault?