LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather issues...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 10:02 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather issues...

My 2014 LR4 HSE Lux has the extended leather package and whatever they called the upgraded leather at the time. I can’t remember if that was “Windsor leather” or something else, but either way it’s the softer of the two options. The seats have continued to age rapidly compared to any other car I’ve owned. The arm rest on the driver seat now has a crack in it. This is at only 76,000 miles. The driver seat looks like it came out of a 30 year old car with 400,000 miles. I’m not a large framed person (5’7 and 145 lbs) but you’d think someone that was morbidly obese had been getting in and out of the car the seats look so bad. Has anyone gotten their seats repaired or had a similar issue?

the biggest complaint is the leather pigment seems to be peeling off from the leather. I’ve never had this happen in any other car, even with much older and less expensive vehicles. My previous LR4 (2011 HSE) had the standard leather and it looked like new when it was 6 years old and had 100,000 miles on it. I’m concerned the seat is going to need to be reupholstered if something isn’t done now to slow the aging progression. I’ve cleaned the seats every couple of months with the LR leather cleaner and wiped the seats with a non-glossy leather conditioning wipe. I do get in the car dirty a lot of the time after being on job sites, but this isn’t dirt... it’s permanent pigmentation loss. I’ve attached some photos so you can see what it looks like. I’m my personal opinion, this seems to be just a poor quality of leather. The driver seat is the only one that shows this much age to it, but even the infrequently used passenger seat has a few places on it that look like pigment loss. The car is obviously well beyond warranty and I think LR would have claimed “wear and tear” anyway.

Driver seat

Backrest leather looks to be a little flaky in places

Old 08-14-2020, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,540 Likes on 1,263 Posts

A good detailer and upholstery shop should be able to get you squared up.

A good deep clean and condition along with a dye touch up on the leather