LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LR4 tyre advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 160 Likes on 127 Posts
Default LR4 tyre advice

Hi everyone - new to the Forum and looking forward to joining the community.

I bought a CPO LR4 HSE last year. It was struggling with grip in the snow in winter (I live in the east coast of the USA) and I've discovered it has summer tyres of a no-name brand... They are pretty worn anyway so I plan to change them out soon.

Looking for guidance and advice on what others recommend. Vehicle is used entirely on-road through snow in the winter. I'd like to use a good all-season and value a quiet/smooth ride and good all weather traction. I have the standard HSE 19inch rims.

Any guidance? I've had Pirelli Scorpion's on previous vehicles and liked them, and had a Michelin Pilot all-season too. What have others found to be good on these vehicles?

Thanks everyone!

Old 08-20-2013, 07:33 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just look on TireRack.com or Discount tire direct to get some reviews. Personally I have been running Michellin tires for a long time. For what you described above I think a Michellin Latitude would be a great choice. However I have also owned Pirelli and have had some great ones and not so great ones. The Scorpion Verde tires got a good write ups on TireRack. I have never owned Dunlops and they also got a nice write up on Tire Rack. Hope that helps

Pirelli Scorpion Verde
Michellin Latitude
Dunlop SP Sport

Old 08-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks Stepsride - very helpful. I tried the Tirerack reviews and they were actually really helpful. I found a set of OEM original Continentals on ebay that had only done 1500 miles plus the 19inch rims for a great price (less than just replacing the tyres!) - but the reviews of the continental tyres are just terrible. So I passed on that in the end and went with the Scorpion Verde which consistently gets great reviews (I've had the Scorpion on previous cars and been very happy with it). So I have 4x new tyres on their way... Thanks again for the advice. I'll post how they are doing a few months down the line.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you looking for an "all in one solution" or are you willing to run separate tire/wheel combos according to the season?

Aside from "East Coast" I don't know how much snow on the ground you encounter during the year. For my Location (Alberta, Canada) it makes sense to run a dedicated set of winter rubber/wheels.

All Seasons:

I would lean towards:

Bridgestone Dueller Alenza
Pirelli Verde

I may even be tempted to run Pirelli Ice & Snow year round. I have been running this tire in the summer once their tread depth falls below minimal winter traction requirements (6/32). They are surprisingly good. They are an older design and are being phased out in favour of the new Scorpion Winter.

For dedicated winters:

Pirelli Ice&Snow
Pirelli Winter
Toyo Open Country G-02 Plus ( may have been replaced by Toyo Winter)

If you see 2+ months of snow on the ground go with a dedicated set of winter wheels with winter tires. You will be amazed with the LR4 in snow on proper rubber.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:45 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KTM

I agree with the snow advice. I have had issues as of late with Bridgestone. The Alenza on paper looks great however I blew through one pair in 25000 miles before the thumping noises made it hard to talk in the vehicle. I am not the only one with this issue. Great tire until 20000 miles then it is just noisy

Old 08-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I'm in the Boston area so a fair bit of snow, but usually ploughed pretty quickly so I think all seasons should be fine (in fact I discovered the tyres my LR4 came with and I used through last winter were summers...) I've gone with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde AllSeason - which seem to get stellar reviews. I do run separate winter tyres on my other car as it's a rear-wheel drive Jaguar and snow tyres are essential for winter traction...

Thanks.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:22 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't remember where I read it, but I heard Goodyear is making Kevlar tires again in our size. Anyone else hear about this?