LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Merge Screens Tesla-Style Infotainment System

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2024, 11:46 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merge Screens Tesla-Style Infotainment System

Has anyone had any luck with this offering from Merge Screens? Wondering if it actually retains all of the OEM capabilities of the original touchscreen

https://www.mergescreens.com/collect...41917971497131

Old 07-07-2024, 01:45 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems quite expensive...I have seen similar Chinese made solutions for 1/3rd the price. Some of them even retain all OEM screen functionalities.

Old 07-08-2024, 10:05 AM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scpt
Seems quite expensive...I have seen similar Chinese made solutions for 1/3rd the price. Some of them even retain all OEM screen functionalities.
$1300 seems fair to me at first look, so long as the quality and reliability is there, but care to share the others you are referring to?

Old 07-08-2024, 03:14 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by jp_gervs
$1300 seems fair to me at first look, so long as the quality and reliability is there, but care to share the others you are referring to?
This is one:
another one :
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...hannel=twinner

You can find few others (all based on China) in aliexpress.

I suspect the mergescreen.com is sourcing from one of these manufacturers in China or it's just a sales front for one of the Chinese manufacturers. You can find more such *.com/.co.uk/.au websites selling these. My point being I don't think these .com sellers have any control on the quality of the units at the same time they add a big premium for giving someone in the west the mental comfort of buying from seller here. The quality will be based on the Chinese manufacturer..and I have no idea which one is good!

I have been trying to decide about this for a while. My concern on all of these units is something might fail ~3 yrs down the line and then I am stuck with a partially functioning screen. So for now I might just buy a standalone portable one from carpuride and see how it goes.

Last edited by scpt; 07-08-2024 at 03:16 PM. Reason: more details
Old 07-08-2024, 06:42 PM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by scpt
This is one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GknKsvNO9ZY&t=174s
another one :
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/32568...hannel=twinner

You can find few others (all based on China) in aliexpress.

I suspect the mergescreen.com is sourcing from one of these manufacturers in China or it's just a sales front for one of the Chinese manufacturers. You can find more such *.com/.co.uk/.au websites selling these. My point being I don't think these .com sellers have any control on the quality of the units at the same time they add a big premium for giving someone in the west the mental comfort of buying from seller here. The quality will be based on the Chinese manufacturer..and I have no idea which one is good!

I have been trying to decide about this for a while. My concern on all of these units is something might fail ~3 yrs down the line and then I am stuck with a partially functioning screen. So for now I might just buy a standalone portable one from carpuride and see how it goes.
I bought and immediately returned one of the Carpuride ones. The screen was awful and pretty much unreadable in the sun and just sat there heating up on the dash and blocking my view of the road. Tried it for about 10 minutes and then sent it back. Your mileage may vary.

Old 07-08-2024, 07:19 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Troyan2019
I bought and immediately returned one of the Carpuride ones. The screen was awful and pretty much unreadable in the sun and just sat there heating up on the dash and blocking my view of the road. Tried it for about 10 minutes and then sent it back. Your mileage may vary.
oh !! thanks for the heads up. Which model was it?
I got the 903 wide one (~3.5 inch tall vs the 5.5 inch model) hoping it will keep a low profile! Let's see.

Sarath.

Old 07-12-2024, 01:38 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by jp_gervs
I just heard about this brand called zz2. One of the Car stereo places here in Bay Area, California offers its installation on LR4's with 3 year warranty. It integrates into the existing screen and will keep all the functionality except for the NAV. The NAV button will start the CarPlay option. It sounds similar to the Isudar unit I posted in the above YouTube video. According to them the hardware is sourced from China, but zz2 has a firmware team and support in Florida. The 3 yr warranty seems attractive to me.
This might be the option I go for mostly. I might just use the Carpuride in my other car which is a mini Cooper.

Old 07-12-2024, 02:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

It’s probably this one, https://zz-2.com/products/it-lr-bos-w

The user’s manual on that page looks pretty sane compared to the average “AliExpress special” 😎😂

Last edited by kajtzu; 07-12-2024 at 02:28 PM.