LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Park Brake Fault & Gearbox Fault

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2021, 02:49 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Park Brake Fault & Gearbox Fault

Hi All. I got a 2014 Disco 4. I recently took it for discs & pads change, came back making terrible noise on the right front wheel, then it gave a warning "Park Brake Fault" when I took off from stand still, then later one gave a warning "Gearbox Fault", it will switch the screen off and then starts illuminating on the gear selector ****, but will not switch off. I would move it to park and then it drives normally again. I took it back and thought it was a the brake caliper but the agent said it's not. They then schemed the disc and the noise is gone. Then "Gearbox Fault" came back on again today. I once read a thread here saying it could be the brake light switch. Could this be the issue? Please help. Thank you.

Old 08-04-2021, 11:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I would start with checking for codes.

Break switch is certainly a known failure item that can cause a bunch of problems. I think it’s fairly easy to change and no too expensive. So, aside from codes pointing elsewhere, that might be something to try.

However, when I saw your comment about a “terrible noise,” I immediately thought of the parking brake actuator. This is also a known failure item and when it goes, it makes a terrible screeching noise when you put the car into gear.

When the rear brake rotors are changed, there is a whole procedure required for putting the p-brake into service mode, then adjusting it, and then bedding it in. So, could just be out of adjustment, or could be the actuator is shot.

Not sure what is meant by “schemed the disc” or how that made the noise go away.

The following users liked this post:
Disco4LoverSA (08-05-2021)