LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear hatch won’t open

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 04:01 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear hatch won’t open

My rear hatch will open about 50% of the time. I can hear the solenoid, but not always an open. I looked up this issue and see it is an issue with LR3’s, but don’t see any LR4’s experiencing it. I have a 2013 w 50k miles (no warranty!)
Guessing LR never improved the part from the LR3.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:14 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hello, the actuator is probably starting to go (bad design from what I read), I had this issue with my LR3 and now with my LR4.
Replace it ( NOW ) yourself before you wont be able to open the door.
Its a known problem. If your tailgate is already stuck, there are ways of getting in there but its difficult, so if you can open it replace it now.

On my LR3 it just failed and my tailgate was stuck.
On my LR4 it gave me warning signs first..... and it opened 50% of the time.
did I listen... nahhhh had to do it the long way !!! (((

The following users liked this post:
eustwi (06-22-2019)
Old 02-06-2018, 11:48 AM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My rear won't open using the exterior button near rear license plate. However, when I use the truck button key FOB, I'm able to open the rear hatch. Is this a different problem? Any one have ideas to diagnose issue?

Old 02-06-2018, 07:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Most likely the cable that runs across the hinge has broken from repeated opening and closing. You can try and test continuity across that joint. Formal repair is prob to replace the wiring harness for the back door. But my guess is you could patch a small replacement wire to fix the break for a few cents...

Old 02-08-2018, 08:03 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by peterniez
hello, the actuator is probably starting to go (bad design from what I read), I had this issue with my LR3 and now with my LR4.
Replace it ( NOW ) yourself before you wont be able to open the door.
Its a known problem. If your tailgate is already stuck, there are ways of getting in there but its difficult, so if you can open it replace it now.

On my LR3 it just failed and my tailgate was stuck.
On my LR4 it gave me warning signs first..... and it opened 50% of the time.
did I listen... nahhhh had to do it the long way !!! (((
I am having the same issue. I just purchased a 2010 LR4 and went to open the back one day and heard it act like it wanted to open and wouldn’t open no matter what I pressed. When I got in the car it said the rear hatch was open when clearly it wasn’t. I found that turning on the car (not starting it, just auxiliary mode) and then shutting it off would reset it and I could then open it again. This has happened a few more times. Is this possibly the actuator going out? Do you have instructions on how to change that out?

Old 02-09-2018, 04:57 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dezm0Devil

I am having the same issue. I just purchased a 2010 LR4 and went to open the back one day and heard it act like it wanted to open and wouldn’t open no matter what I pressed. When I got in the car it said the rear hatch was open when clearly it wasn’t. I found that turning on the car (not starting it, just auxiliary mode) and then shutting it off would reset it and I could then open it again. This has happened a few more times. Is this possibly the actuator going out? Do you have instructions on how to change that out?

If you can open the hatch after resetting the car then it might be an electrical issue...
When the hatch is open its easy to replace the actuator. Remove the plastic trim, Remove the carpet back and you should have access.
however, if the hatch is closed, it gets tricky!!
There is a YouTube video out there and an actual pdf instructions on how to do it... gotta do a quick search. If I get some time Ill link them to this post.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:26 AM
1st Gear

I’ve having the same issue with my 2013 LR4. It was working half the time. I was hearing a noise but it wouldn’t open. I took it to the dealer to get it fixed and of course it worked for them that day, so they didn’t fix it. Now I haven’t been able to open it for 3 days now. So aggravating! My son is a great mechanic so maybe he can replace the actuator you are talking about. I guess I’ll call the dealer and order the part and find the you tube video for him.

Old 07-06-2018, 03:46 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Dezm0Devil

hi,having exactly the same issue as this with my 2010 lr4,just wondering if you got yours fixed and how?
have just signed up on this forum to ask you the question,so hope I’ve done it right and you get this message

Old 09-21-2018, 12:14 AM
6th Gear

**UPDATE**

I got a new actuator from Atlantic British. Part number is in the pictures. I also got a new dust cover that covers access to the actuator. The problem was getting more and more persistent. So I actually pulled off the lower inner hatch cover so I could access the cable if it fully died. I then ordered the actuator and cover. Luckily I was always able to get the back open after turning on and off the car and retrying the hatch release.

Replacing the actuator was pretty simple. There are 2 screws toy have to loosen up and it took a 5/16 on mine. (2010 LR4) after that you can flip the actuator over and see the cable. On the right hand side is the power. There is just a simple clip that you push on and pull the wire clip off. This allows you to pull the actuator out of the door and have an easier time getting the cable off.

I ended up just cutting the plastic clip so I could pull the cable out. Seeing as I wasn’t reusing it I didn’t care about damaging it. Just reattach the cable to the new actuator, feed it back into the door, reattach the electrical, then tighten up the screws and patch it all back up.

Old 09-21-2018, 12:18 AM
6th Gear

Quick Reply: Rear hatch won’t open