LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seeking LR4 inline thermostat and crossover pipe Beta Testers

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2023, 02:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,447 Likes on 1,029 Posts
Default Seeking LR4 inline thermostat and crossover pipe Beta Testers

Hey guys, Extinct here from extinctmotorsports.com and inlinethermostats.com. Been working on developing an inline thermostat kit and a rear crossover pipe replacement kit to help the 5.0 and 3.0SC's with their leakage and overheating issues. We finally have some parts in stock to test and I am seeking a couple of beta testers near me (Lynchburg VA) to do an installation video on the new kit. Beta Tester will get the parts for free and of course lifetime warranty still applies. I don't own one of these yet so I need someone who I can work with if there are minor fitment or function issues. Really need to be relatively local though, max distance maybe two-ish hrs away. Email me (I had to turn PM's off because the inbox just filled up too fast) if you are interested and I will get all the info to you. Will make another announcement once we do a formal product launch of course but I don't want to get out too far over my skis on these kits.

The following 4 users liked this post by Extinct:
djkaosone (10-18-2023), jastutte (11-06-2023), Nikko (12-13-2023), steevo67 (12-20-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 01:50 PM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

@Extinct certainly interested in how this product progresses. Just sold my 2022 Defender and replaced with a 2015 LR4 with brand new dealer installed LR reman engine. Has brand new cross over pipes, the new "updated" one's, but not sure I'll trust them more than 30k miles. Keep us informed and hope you found a tester.

Old 12-20-2023, 05:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Nice to see you over here in LR4 land. I'm familiar with your products & contributions as I'm also a part of the ol' Disco 2 community. I might be interested as I'm looking at doing the rear crossover in the near future on my '14 LR4 already. An alternative to the rear crossover is needed. I'm interested to see how you accomplish it that isn't unwieldy and looks clean. My opinion is the t-stat itself isn't a huge failure point on the LR4, but again I'm curious to see what you have if it eliminates some of the special (expensive) hoses that can only be obtained from LR. I don't know if I'm close enough though as I'm in Jacksonville, NC.

P.S. - Just an FYI, the LR4 community isn't as active as the Disco community. Could take time to find someone.

Old 12-21-2023, 05:39 AM
Camel Trophy

Yes it has not been easy finding beta testers, probably because of my desire to keep them local where I can assist and monitor. Without giving to much IP away I can say the solution does replace the factory plastic thermostat housing with a metal housing and eliminates the bypass line just like the D2 solution does, just a different housing. The crossover pipe solution implements metal fittings at the heads and for the sensor port and utilizes standard cooling hoses to connect them, allowing for relocation of the the sensor port as well as the TB hose to a more accessible location. Although I have not been able to confirm it yet with hands on a LR I believe the solution would enable replacement of the components without removal of the intake manifold in the future. It is meant to be a long term solution at reasonable cost. Of course we coudl have gone with an all metal crossover pipe solution but that would still require removal of the intake manifold for replacement of the TB hose or the coolant temp sensor.

Jacksonville is quite a distance from me so probably not ideal unless you were planning to come to the Lynchburg area for some reason (BTW, Overland East, MAR, RAW, and multiple excellent trails along the BRP are all about 1 hr from me if you are looking for an excuse).

Old 12-23-2023, 07:13 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like a good solution. Your products are all well thought out and I'm sure this one will be too. With my schedule I don't think I'd be able to commit to regular visits to Lynchburg, but thanks for letting me know all the trails up there. I lived in NOVA for the last 3 years and somehow never made it out that way. If you want to cast a bigger net, try landroverworld . org. That's my main forum for the LR4. It is way more active and has a lot of competent DIYers. Best of luck, and if something changes to where I could make myself useful, I'll reach out again.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:54 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey I would be interested in being a beta tester. I am not close but could provide feedback at your prescribed intervals. I am willing to sign an NDA to protect your IP. I have a 2011 LR4 that I recently purchased. I have a strong background in mechanics and my A and P. I am looking to improve the reliability of mine so I can overland it. I am in Arizona which will definitely put the set up through the heat tests. Let me know if I can help.

Old 03-22-2024, 04:37 AM
Camel Trophy

PM me and we can discuss

Old 05-21-2024, 05:33 PM
3rd Gear

I'm very interested in your solution. The metal rear crossover pipes that are on the market currently look like they are susceptible to heat cycling and the material they are made of appears dubious. I think a 'soft' juncture between the heads would allow for different expansion rates. Are you planning to produce these for sale soon? I'm also in Phoenix, AZ and I'm looking to upgrade my 2015 RR supercharged reliability.

Old 05-26-2024, 05:53 PM
4th Gear

I’ll try it, but don’t call me a beta haha jk. I’m too far out in CA but this sounds like a product I’d like to buy some day

Old 05-27-2024, 05:45 PM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in Chattanooga TN. I would be interested in trying these out on my 2016 LR4.

Quick Reply: Seeking LR4 inline thermostat and crossover pipe Beta Testers