LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing question for large trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2019, 03:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing question for large trailer

Seeking advice on towing an Apex 300BHS travel trailer. Hitch weight is 672 and UVW is 5977. Exterior length is 34’ 3”. Most likely will use Hensley Arrow or Equalizer and Rhino hitch but open to ideas/options.

This should be ok weight wise as it’s with in 7700/770

Distances will mostly be short within 60 miles on mostly flat ground. Very few long distance, twice a year 5 hour one way trips on flat ground.

Thank you!!!

Old 12-04-2019, 10:25 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tongue weight should be no more than 550lbs.

Old 12-04-2019, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,523 Likes on 1,249 Posts

I believe the hitch says 770 lbs tongue weight

I tow a considerably smaller travel trailer than that and would not recommend that long of a trailer behind a LR4, any highway sections will cause the tail to wag the heck out of the dog. It was brutal for me and I was a solid 8 feet shorter. I was fine on power to pull with the LR3 at 300 hp that was not an issue it was the length of the trailer

So I made an adjustment

Right tool for the Job. I will move the trailer around town with the LR3 but if its hitting the highway it’s behind the Excursion

Last edited by ArmyRover; 12-04-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:27 PM

@Fenix how did this turn out? Did you run that setup? If so how did it go? Looking at that same TT and a couple others.

Old 11-02-2020, 12:56 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2015 LR4 and I tow a 2020 Grand design Imagine XLS 23BHE so I’m shorter than you and I’m at around 6,000lbs loaded for a trip. My tongue weight is around 600lbs depending on how I load things. I can tell you that I personally wouldn’t feel comfortable towing anything larger than what I have. Stopping it’s totally fine. Power on the flats is fine but going over mountain passes is slow going.

I’m not using a weight distribution hitch but I’m exploring the option as my rear axle weight is at 4,400lbs when towing. That’s over the axle rating. I had my two small boys (3 and 6) in the back seats and really not much gear in the cargo area.

Old 11-02-2020, 01:03 PM

How is the sway on that setup?

Old 11-02-2020, 01:13 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Robert A. Kinsler
How is the sway on that setup?
In high winds it’s not all that fun but it’s got to be really windy. Having said that I’ve never experienced what I would call a ‘sway event’. It’s more that the LR4 is being moved around by the trailer. But under normal circumstances it’s totally fine.

Old 11-02-2020, 07:58 PM
4th Gear

Some considerations. I run a Lance 2375 that is spec'd at gross Dry Weight of 5030 Lbs. and a hitch dry weight 600 Lbs.

- Manufacturers specify tongue weight typically dry and without options. The 2375 actually comes in at 850 lbs, measured. Get yourself a Sherline scale, 2000lb range, and measure
- I moved to Rhino hitch and load range E tires and 18" wheels. Rhino is class IV (I know, the attachment is only class III). The stiffer sidewalls are a plus.
- I'm thinking my loaded TT is in the 6000 lb range which is similar to my 2011 LR4, weight wise. I prefer my TV weight to exceed my TT weight.
- At 28' total length I'm probably near max on length. I do run a Anderson WDH as the air suspension only levels out the combo but I was still somewhat light on front end. Don't need a lot of WDH but more than zero.
- Sway is minimal. Just returned from a 1800 mile 15 day camping trip across the wind blown plains of Colorado, Kansas and Missouri. Have also towed through Colorado high country. The V8 power was fine. Could use a little more wheelbase but we are good. The shorter wheelbase LR4 let's me maneuver the TT into some tighter spaces.

Old 11-03-2020, 09:52 AM
Three Wheeling

mpinco - Is that Rhino hitch ok to use weight distribution with? I was contemplating getting one but wasn't sure about that. Sounds like your TT is about the same weight as mine. However, with mine I truly am around the 600/650 tongue weight...I have a weigh safe hitch I use to measure. I think getting some better tires for my LR4 would definitely help...the past owner put some crap tires on from Walmart.

Have you weighed your setup? I'm specifically interested in the rear axle weight since I was so far over. I'm trying to see if the WDH would put me back in the limit.

I do wish I had found a V8 LR4 but when it was time to purchase there were none that fit the bill so we have the SC6. I did happen to pick up a 2013 Toyota Sequoia Platinum as well to try as a tow vehicle. It's got a lot to like but I prefer the LR4 so much more.

Old 11-03-2020, 12:03 PM
4th Gear

@dwelcel - The Rhino hitch should be fine with a WDH. I use the Anderson which allows a continuous selection of weight distribution. I have not weighed my complete setup on a scale, just spreadsheet analysis.

Tires are a factor. LR4's and LR's in general are equipped with passenger class tires that enable a nice smooth ride but suck at everything else. I definitely noticed a squishy rear end with my first set of tires. Moved to General Grabber AT2's and that issue was resolved.

Quick Reply: Towing question for large trailer