Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

boost fuel mileage on the Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: boost fuel mileage on the Disco II

Discoandaboat, What brand of steel bumper did you buy? Is it more aerodynamic then stock?

Willie

Old 01-02-2008, 02:01 AM
Mudding

yea post pictures.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:12 PM
Three Wheeling

I think replacing the engine driven fan with some electrics would help. Not sure if there would be other effect, but the Disco is like the last vehicle on earth to have an engine driven fan.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

If it were me, I'd do a freer flowing exhaust, for example true dual and catalytic converter delete, but then you'd need to have it tuned.

It's not exactly legal but people do it all the time and they still pass inspection. I've done it on a Mustang.

The electric fan is a good idea.

you'd probably look at around $250-$350 for true dual depending on your exhaust shop. I did it on my F150 and gained 2mpg it's a 4.6L 4x4.

If I were you I'd do the true dual exhaust, and do an off road x pipe and a nice tune. An O/R X is gonna be hard to find I think, or make one your self.

Only problem: you'll love the way it sounds cause it'll be loud, which means you'll be in the throttle and still use a lot of gas. off the throttle though, i see a gain of ~5mpg

Good luck let us know what you do

-James

Old 01-18-2008, 07:26 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Exhaust won't do it, the fan might give you under 1/2 MPG.
What are any of you getting for MPG anyway???

Old 01-18-2008, 08:36 AM
Three Wheeling

I used to work for a company that engineered the FEAD system on these trucks. There is a significant room for improvement up front there.

If you had a truck without the ACE, and you got rid of the engine driven fan, you could potentially loosen off the tensioner spring and go down two ribs on the belt. I think it's a 7 rib now, you could go down to 5 and run the belt in the middle grooves. That could help a surprising amount. It'd need some testing, but it could work.

Does the Disco have EGR? EGR can help a lot, but if the truck doesn't already have it, it's not something you can add easily.

High flow cats and exhaust will help, but I wouldn't get rid of the cats altogether. And there's no need for true dual. Single exhaust is fine if it's big enough. 2.5-3" is plenty for this thing.

Opening up the intake side also helps, but I actually recommend against K&N filters because their filtering efficiency is poor. I don't even run them in my race car, I sure wouldn't use them on an off-road truck.

Old 01-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Three Wheeling

i have one of those air force one cold air intakes off of british atlantic and a borla exhaust it helped 2mpg on my disco 2002

Old 05-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Rock Crawling

First post!

Thought I would share something I've found out. I did a good deal of research online on how to get better gas mileage and here is what works for me. I get 16MPG in the city and 22MPG on the highway. I drive 55MPH max and always look down the road for lights turning red or any opportunity to coast. Buying a ScanGauge II is a great way to get better gas mileage. Mine shows me GPH (gallons per hour) and MPG along with intake and coolant temperature.

So the secret to getting better gas mileage is driving slower. It costs me nothing (except some angry glares from other motorists) which is nice. By sticking to the slow lane (the one on the right) most drivers won't even notice you. My impression is American drivers like the left lane and I am fine with that.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:16 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I will second that.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done it all, wires,plugs,02 sensors, synthetics everywhere, aired up tires (40psi)and I drive very sensatively and never floor the vehicle. The best I seem to be getting with my OME 2 inch lift and 265/70-16 tires is 12.5-13 m.p.g. And to be honest it drives me nuts to see guys getting much better than this. My mileage is 95% city, so I never calculated the highways miles cause it just wouldn't be realistic to my situation and I do multiply the mileage driven by 1.07 which is the percentage that my new tires have over my stock ones. To be honest I really cannot figure how it is possible to get any better than what I get.

Quick Reply: boost fuel mileage on the Disco II