Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Diamond Plated trunk and gate

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:12 AM
Baja
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Question Diamond Plated trunk and gate

I was thinking about pulling the carpet out of the back and off the back seats and diamond plating the gate and floor and back seats. I DJ on the weekends and the carpet is really taking a beating all around. Even though I have one of those rubber storage area covers on the floor the backs of the seats are taking a licking. Anyone ever heard of anyone doing this or have any suggestions? I already popped off the panel on the gate because I had switched out the stock harmon kardon subs that were blown up by the previous owner and I kept the covering off because i thought it would be pretty unique and hold up better than that vinyl thing that was in there. Thanx!

Old 08-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
I was thinking about pulling the carpet out of the back and off the back seats and diamond plating the gate and floor and back seats. I DJ on the weekends and the carpet is really taking a beating all around. Even though I have one of those rubber storage area covers on the floor the backs of the seats are taking a licking. Anyone ever heard of anyone doing this or have any suggestions? I already popped off the panel on the gate because I had switched out the stock harmon kardon subs that were blown up by the previous owner and I kept the covering off because i thought it would be pretty unique and hold up better than that vinyl thing that was in there. Thanx!
I saw a pic somewhere around a year ago where a guy had replaced his gate panel with diamond plate. It looked pretty sweet.

Just a few days ago, I was surfing around for mods, etc. and came across this from Columbia Rovers.....

http://www.columbiaroversoffroad.com...go-door-panel/

I know it's not exactly what you are looking for, but it's a good peek at a similar mod.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Baja

link doesnt work. thanks for thinking of me though. i would liek to rip the carpet of the floor of the storage area and lay down some diamond plate there as well...not sure what is underneat that carpet though.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Mudding
Old 08-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Baja

oh sweet i got home and tried the link and it worked.. yeah that is just awesome! I hate that stupid plastic vinyl thing they come with.. would have to sacrifice my subs i installed... that is a fantastic option though. still wondering if i could pull the carpeting off the floor... its on there pretty tight unlike my headliner which is held up by the cargo nets

Old 12-16-2009, 05:11 AM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

To rip the carpeting up you just have to take off all the trim clips off, it is easy enough with the claw side of a normal hammer. Just start popping clips off like its cool and eventually you will be able to remove the side rear trim. I just replaced the fuel pump and it is under there. Just a thought before you do anything too permanent, the fuel pump is down there and has an access panel.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its just plain sheet metal (aluminum?) with an access hatch to fuel pump. if you taped off the edges so that they didnt seal shut on access panel you can rhino-line the whole cargo area pretty easily.
worked for me...

Old 12-29-2009, 10:03 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
oh sweet i got home and tried the link and it worked.. yeah that is just awesome! I hate that stupid plastic vinyl thing they come with.. would have to sacrifice my subs i installed... that is a fantastic option though. still wondering if i could pull the carpeting off the floor... its on there pretty tight unlike my headliner which is held up by the cargo nets
I accept with information:To rip the carpeting up you just have to take off all the trim clips off, it is easy enough with the claw side of a normal hammer. Just start popping clips off like its cool and eventually you will be able to remove the side rear trim.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i pulled all my carpet out like a week ago bc i had some leaks and the carpet was staying wet... you dont need to remove any panels to remove the carpet, but the rear seats will have to come out... well actually if you are just removing the cargo area carpet the seats may be able to be left in, i think there were 3 seperate sections to the carpet... i'm going to but truck bedliner in mine eventually but for now its just bare metal until i fix the rust in the driver and passenger floorboards... well its not bare metal, its all painted yellow like the rest of my rig, which surprised me

Old 01-18-2010, 01:15 AM
1st Gear

Just wondering approx costs per meter for carpet. I know it varies greatly depending on quality. If anybody can give me approx costs for justa n average quality carpet that would be great.

Quick Reply: Diamond Plated trunk and gate