Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Dual Battery System

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 06:36 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Battery System

I want to install a dual battery system. I am thinking about the IBS system or National Luna. The main battery will be in the engine bay with the second battery in the nose cone of my off road trailer. I want to charge the trailer battery while driving. Has anybody else used either of these systems or have another option to consider. I also want to add a fuse box to connect lights,Cb radio,Ham Radio etc. Hoping to hear what others have done .

Old 04-14-2011, 09:08 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

I see no reason to add a dual battery system, what batteries will be using? I would suggest you use to of the same batteries like 2 Yellow Tops or 2 of Sear's HD Marine batteries to make a good system.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

not sure what truck you have, i put a Columbia Overland dual battery tray in and have Sears 34 plat battery in. I'm going to put a second battery in soon with the Warn isolator or similar.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

This is my dual set, real easy to build.

Attached Thumbnails Dual Battery System-dscf0001.jpg  
Old 04-14-2011, 05:14 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
This is my dual set, real easy to build.
But how easy is it to do to a D1...I'm going to lift the hood when I get home and check I guess.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:24 PM
4wd Low
Default Dual Battery?

Hey gang.

What are the advantages of the dual battery set up. Is it mainly for the extra power needed for winch, aux lights, radios etc?

Wondering if I should consider doing the same thing?

Thanks!

Old 04-16-2011, 11:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Your right Ted in regard to running the extra goodies off the 2nd battery, as to not be left with a dead battery to start your engine. I am still thinking about this myself. When DiscoMike said "he did not see the need for a dual setup" and then showed a picture of one I was confused at first. But, I remember him discussing this in the past.

The consideration of a dual setup is to allow the aux. (2nd) battery to charge, but not over charge while you are driving, as well as the primary battery to charge as it would normally. Some of the kits "dual setups" allow the 2nd battery to charge until it is charged, and then cuts it out while monitoring it and cutting it in when the voltage drops below some point, or something like that to prevent overcharging since it may not be used much of the time when you are around town.

DiscoMike's points discussed in the past, IIRC, was that as you can see from his pic, he just basically extended one more battery cable for + and - off the primary battery respective post over to the 2nd battery, for his dual battery setup. The key being that in his setup or "non-setup" that does not require a special aftermarket set of switches and battery monitoring devices is that the batteries are the same type and basically the same age. I cannot recall the logic exactly behind this. Mike can explain it further, but the main idea is they will have the same charging characteristics being the same battery, and being the same age would charge about the same rate. One not always charging before the other or something like that. As you can see, I am still learning this myself.

DiscoMike,

What did you do the stock battery tray to fit is the 2 batteries? Do I recall that you can actually get them in the stock battery tray?

Old 04-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The OP wants the second battery in his trailer. An entirely different purpose than two dual batteries in the tow rig.

Is there a particular reason you want an isolator to connect it?

Old 04-19-2011, 09:04 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

i would use 4 or even 2guage and you can use a different brand but i would use a voltage sensitive relay.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:07 PM
4wd High

Ed - This is exactly what I had planned. Hadn't drawn it out. Thank you. I have been having second thoughts however.....wondering if I really need to run two 4 AWG cables or if I can charge trailer battery through the 7 pin connector. Original thought was that this approach would not provide sufficient charge for a drained trailer battery. Here are my options:
Option 1. Run three batteries 2 in bay 1 in trailer with IBS management system. Winch and Off Road lights and CB off 2nd battery in engine bay. Run 4awg cables to third battery in trailer as you have drawn out.
Option 2. same as above but run smaller wire to 7 pin connector and trickle charge trailer battery when driving. Buy small generator to charge trailer battery when camping more than a couple of days.
Option 3. Same as 2 except replace generator with a solar charger for trailer battery.
What do you think is best option or is there a better option? Note I run a 63 quart frige in the trailer along with lights.

Last edited by scottma; 05-06-2011 at 11:10 PM.

Quick Reply: Dual Battery System