Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Engine modifications

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 01:06 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine modifications

I grew up point style distributors and carbs. Anyone ever hear of a kit or someone modifying a discovery to something non computerized. I've done lots of modifications in the past. I'm just curious because I'm down here in Mexico and there are no land rover parts or dealers anyway near here. I got my 95 discovery for nothing because the guy who had it gave up in disgust after spending a couple grand and it still doesn't run. I'm thinking about a side draft carb with an adapter to fit it to the intake and then an after market electronic ignition adapted to the didtributor. Any ideas. When I used to work at a junk yard we called Lucas the lord of darkness. We got in lots of english cars and they all had wiring and electrical problems. I plan on having some fun with this car. I also have a 1990 susuki sidekick with a 1978 porshc body and a 1990 plymouth minivan with 1990 toyota 4X4 running gear. I like adapting and have friends with machine shops. What do you know?

Old 08-03-2009, 08:14 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

You are looking to make a good system into a piece of s--t. Anyone who 4wheels will tell you a carb was the biggest down fall of a 4wheelers because they would always flood.
What exactly is wrong with yours?

Old 08-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Drifting

Hello, What I'm talking about is being able to keep something running in an out of the way place such as this. We can't just pop down to the local parts store and get a new part it takes months sometimes because we have to find someone who is up in the states coming this way willing to bring parts. Then you get into core deposits and the problem of wrong parts or parts that are defective. I see the F.I. system on these cars as way too complicated with too many expensive parts. I got this car for free because the owner, who loved this car and took very good care of it couldn't keep it running. He spent almost 2,000 dollars on parts, shipping and labor trying to solve this problem. What do you do if you're out in the middle of nowhere and the ECU for the F.I. goes out or a relay. We live near the ocean and salt air is tough on electrical connections. I've been a mechanic for over 40 years. I've owned and crewed on race cars. I've been actively involved in 4-wheeling and can tell you most everyone I know prefers a carb because you can work on it in the fielfd. As far as what is wrong with this car I'm pretty sure it's the ECU for the FI. The car leaks on that side and the ECU is very corroded with corrosion inside the box. I've gone through the fuel system step by step<basic trouble shooting. The fuel pump works and delivers fuel. I replaced the fuel filter and fuel passes through it. Fuel is being delivered, with pressure, to the fuel log. I went through the wiring diagrams and made some notes. I checked all of the wires on the fuel pump relay and the blue wire that goes to the ECU isn't delivering a ground to activate the relay. When I add the ground it activates and the fuel pump starts. I've checked the coil and distributor and they are functiong fine with good spark. The injectors just aren't being activated. I'm new to these cars so I'm studying the owners manual, a haynes manual and several web-sites. For me the simpler a system is, the better. I have no access to a computer scanner so I'm taking my time and double checking things to make sure I have it nailed down before I go spending a fortune on an ECU. As I said. If there's a core deposit or the chance of getting the wrong part that complicates things and raises the cost. I always do my best to give the most complete information but every once in a while miscommunication happens. I appreciate you taking your time to respond and any help you might be able to give as far as further things to check or wha information is needed, parts numbers, where they are located, and the best place to purchase those parts Thank You

Old 08-15-2009, 08:47 PM
1st Gear
Question Performance Chip for LR 2

Is anyone aware of a performance chip/programable chip for the 09 LR2? For example Superchip performance chip does not show available for the LR2. Tying to get some improvement on the acceleration, etc... How about cold air intake systems? K&N doesn't seem to have one for the 09 LR2 either? Is it because this is a European car? Any advise will be helpful to help her get out of her way...

Thanks

Old 08-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by kandkgorman
Is anyone aware of a performance chip/programable chip for the 09 LR2? For example Superchip performance chip does not show available for the LR2. Tying to get some improvement on the acceleration, etc... How about cold air intake systems? K&N doesn't seem to have one for the 09 LR2 either? Is it because this is a European car? Any advise will be helpful to help her get out of her way...

Thanks

Try RPI in the UK they maybe able to help.
The 09 is new and most after market parts don't show up for at least two years.
I sent my ECM to RPI to have it remapped, was not cheap and was about 30 days turn-a-round.

I bumped my info on Chipping-Remapping.

Last edited by LANDZUII; 08-15-2009 at 09:22 PM.