Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

How I Painted my Steel Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How I Painted my Steel Wheels

A few months ago I purchased a complete set of spare wheels with a new set of steel wheel lug nuts I purchased from Rovers North. Originally, the wheels were in decent condition, but were galvanized grey. After consulting with a automotive paint store and multiple sources on here, I decided to simply hand sand them down with 220 grit sandpaper. (I thought I took pictures, apparently not.) So, after multiple "wheel sanding parties" with some buddys we got them sanded down to how I wanted then.

Next, I waited for a pretty day to begin painting. For maximum adhesion I used Rust Oleum Self Etching Primer (5).Name:  2012-02-20121054.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  133.6 KB
I did three solid coats at intervals throughout a few hours and only used a little over two cans. I thought for sure five wouldn't be enough, it was overkill.

After letting the primer dry a few days I waited for another pretty day to attack the final coat. I went with a gloss black for a number of reasons. I was torn between gloss and flat but am glad I went with gloss. The gloss matches my ARB bumper and soon-to-be roof rack, also. I am pleased with it. Disco Mike referred me to the Rust Oleum Commercial grade aerosol. I picked up another five cans of that and certainly wasn't close to using it all.
Name:  2012-02-20122541.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  150.1 KB
After three solid coats and letting the wheels lay in the sun a few hours I was ready to get them mounted!

I knew a guy at the tire shop so I was able to get them swapped out for $15 each. I also had the opportunity to mount my new matching spare!

Before:Name:  2011-12-28160843.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  218.9 KB
Ugly mismatch spare: Name:  2011-12-28160749.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  224.3 KB

After:Name:  2012-02-22075914.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  125.9 KB
Matching Spare: Name:  2012-02-22075929.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  125.0 KB
Pardon the ugly mud in the middle...

I couldn't be happier with the result! What do you all think? You like?
Sticky?

All Landy needs now is a good detailing for once!
For sale/giveaway: Four Range Rover Classic Great Divide Wheels. Good condition with nuts.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:24 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Very nice!

I painted my wheels 1.5 yrs ago with Rustoleum as well, couldn't be happier with they way they turned out! I'd recommend picking up a can of clear coat just to really hammer the point home, makes cleaning a little bit easier.

Old 03-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Nice job, I'm buying a portable sand blaster this spring to clean up my steel rims and then paint them to match the truck.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Here's a sticky. Buy spray paint. Spray paint wheels to desired color. Wait until dry to drive to avoid "spin art" look. Reapply as necessary. Sticky that.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:25 AM
Pro Wrench

I do like em. I also like your RR wheels. I'm still thinking whether to do both trucks and probably will.

I use the etching primer as well. makes all the difference. Honda....you consider painting the bottom of your grill and the plastic under the headlights black? Might mean up the front.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by turf63
Here's a sticky. Buy spray paint. Spray paint wheels to desired color. Wait until dry to drive to avoid "spin art" look. Reapply as necessary. Sticky that.
Are you talking to me?

SanJuan, thanks man. I detested those RRC wheels. But good idea, I haven't thought about that. For a few weeks I ran around with a Beluga Black grill installed. It certainly changed the look of my truck. I may look into that. I would just hope the black colors wouldn't clash..

ylo; thank you. That's a good point. But, more work :/ Maybe this summer. Lol

Old 03-05-2012, 08:08 AM
Pro Wrench

I remember you hating those wheels. Wouldn't be my first choice either but they look good on your rig.

Your truck is already white and black. I did the ghetto grill, bumper, stinger and those plastic bits under the headlights flat black and they have the appearance of a single unit...kinda. The rest of the truck is beluga so it isn't a big diff and I haven't put it all back together but in my mind I like the look. I hope to get it back together real soon.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

It's to anyone. No need in over thinking a process. Tires don't need to be off, you don't need primer, it's just a rattle can job. The black won't show up on the tires, so overspray doesn't matter. And they're gonna get chipped and dirty regardless so just re-spray the area as needed. No need for all that hard work. The result would have been the same if you'd just cleaned em, brilloed (word?) em and sprayed them. Five mins per wheel. Maybe two coats to look extra pretty.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Pro Wrench

Turf. You talking to me?

Old 03-05-2012, 03:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by turf63
It's to anyone. No need in over thinking a process. Tires don't need to be off, you don't need primer, it's just a rattle can job. The black won't show up on the tires, so overspray doesn't matter. And they're gonna get chipped and dirty regardless so just re-spray the area as needed. No need for all that hard work. The result would have been the same if you'd just cleaned em, brilloed (word?) em and sprayed them. Five mins per wheel. Maybe two coats to look extra pretty.

What he did will deliver a cleaner and longer lasting finish though.

Quick Reply: How I Painted my Steel Wheels