Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

How to install LR genuine ladder? Brushbar? Running Boards?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 01:59 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to install LR genuine ladder? Brushbar? Running Boards?

So I bought a used Land Rover Genuine Ladder. All I have is the ladder, and 4 hex screws. I was reading up on previous posts and everybody keeps saying how easy it is, but I'm not quite sure how the screws would stay in if I simply drill the holes and screw them in there. I was reading the instructions from Discoweb.org, and it involves a Rivnut (which I dont know how to use) and some other tools.

So how do you install these damn thing? DoI just drills holes and these screws would catch and tighten up? Or do I really have to use Rivnuts?

Oh by the way, I also bought an LR Genuine Brushbar and Running Boards. Im trying to install them, but also not sure exactly how itgoes underneath. So I called the dealership and I asked if I need some mounting hardware, the guy from parts told me that there is no mounting hardware needed for both... then shunned me away. [:-]

I did my research and found out that the running boards need mounting hardware. I went ahead and ordered it from Roverconnection.com for $45. Now for the brushbar, I couldnt really find anything online,so I looked underneath my vehicle and it looks like theres 4 bolts that connects from the chassis to the bumper that I could remove, align the 4 mounting holes from the brushbar, re-install bolts, tighten and should be good to go.

But Im not a 100% sure if thats how its suppose to go there, so I was wondering if any of yougentlemen, would be kindenough to take pictures of howyour running boards and brushbar were installedon your vehicles, or give mesome adviceon how to install them.

By the way, this is for a 97 Disco.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Drifting
Default RE: How to install LR genuine ladder? Brushbar? Running Boards?

So Ive decided to go ahead and take apart the front bumper and try to install the brushbar. The four bolts that secure the front bumper/reinforcment is the right place to mount the brush bar. it fits on there perfectly. Now my only problems is that the plastic piece/cover where the license plate attaches too is way too "thick" and IF installed, the brushbar couldnt be properly secured. Without it, all the four bolts fit in there perfectly.

So do I really need to take that off and leave it off? Or is there a "thinner" version of this plastic piece that came with the Discos that has stock brushbars?

I kind of want my Disco to look stock, WITH the brushbar.

About the ladder, Ive decided to just purchase a mounting kit that Roverconnection.com sells. Ill update this right after I receive it and try to install it.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Drifting

By the way, Ive done all these things by myself. I held up the brushbar while underneath the vehicle, trying to align the holes from the chassis to the bumper reinforcement and the brushbar.

I HIGHLY advice to at least have two people do this install.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:38 AM
Drifting

OK, I just found out that the plastic piece that installs on the very front of the bumper where the license plate hooks up to is called the "PLINTH."

And I do need to replace this with a Plinth that is used with a brushbar.

Now Im gonna check the junk yards. It sells for more than a $100 from Roversnorth.

*awaiting parts for the ladder

*awaiting parts for the running boards

*have to look for the right Plinth for the brushbar

Old 11-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Rock Crawling

check Atlantic British for instructions. the Ladder can be installed with regular sheet metal screws, since all the weight will be coming down from the top.

not sure about the brush bar