Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Turbo diesel swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 10:04 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo diesel swap

I am thinking of getting a range rover or discovery and put a dodge cummins straight 6 turbo diesel in it. for alot of reason so dont ask i am wondering if there is going to be room for the motor. what do yall think about the swap i think it would be awesome has less weight to turn to. please tell me any problems that might happen.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:33 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Turbo diesel swap

Forget it, the engine is too heavy and has too much torques for a Rover's power train.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:33 PM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A long block 4.0L Rover motor is 357 LBS you will need to find something much lighter.

There arekits so you can get the old GM 6.2 V8 diesel and put it in a Rover you will have to get it from the U.K. most are put in D-90's.

Old 08-23-2008, 12:17 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

The dry weight on a Cummins diesel out of a Dodge is 1100 lbs. It is a medium-duty motor being used in a light truck application. Cummins does make a 4 cylinder diesel that may fit into a Land Rover but it is still going to be extremely heavy and expensive. Perhaps a Mercedes 5-cylinder diesel would fit. Much less weight and a physically smaller engine. The drawback to any diesel conversion is going to be the cost of acquiring the engine itself. However, the longevity of a diesel engine will offset the initial cost in the long run.

I sure you can guess that I have thought about this same swap.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Three Wheeling

The dodge engine will be too much for rover. You need to forget your plans. Put a smaller engine on your rover.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Cummins B6 is big... but it will fit, provided you're able to . Finding a clutch for a manual rover transmission would be fun though and the ZF auto would most likely be overwhelmed by it. The only successful ones I've heard of have used the Dodge transmission and pretty much built a rover on top of it.

A much better bet is the Cummins 4BT - yes it's less powerful in stock form thabn the B6 but it's emminently and easily tuneable to reasonable power and will still get you into the 30+MPG bracket on the highway provided you don't try to make it do 80

Hope that helps,

Old 09-22-2008, 02:37 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've already purchased 2 Dodge Cummins Straight 6's with p-71 pumps and turbo's .. for about $1500 (i used to drag race diesels in houston, had some connections)

I have a couple automatic transmissions and manual transmissions and married transfer cases ...

I'm eliminating any rover drive train, keeping axles though. I have moser making some HD axles and gears,

I'm just in the arguing phase with my wife on whether it's going to be 5 spd manual (which is better imo) or automatic (which would be the first thing to fail - dodge sucked at tranny's )

I'll have to do some minor beating of the firewall about 3/8 of an inch around the top side, but it would fit.

I found some HD springs that would provide 360 lb square inch compared to stock springs which are 90lb i believe.. or 120..

I also have ordered a double shock mount for front and back .. so I have 2 shocks for 1 spring all around .

It will be 2wd, on the fly 4wd just like regular dodge pickups...

I like the all around disc brakes and springs, instead of leafs ...

Plus my wife loves the look of the Rover, and I tow arond a 4000 lb boat alot :P i'm already on my second 3.9 liter and 2 tranny .

Old 09-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As I get going i'll post up picks, i dont expect to be done for about 6 months, so dont start watching this post religiously :P

I'm still designing some of the stuff with a local fabricator, so I could possibly offer kit conversions for this ...

The short block weighs 550 lbs and heads weigh about 200, I can pick up the head by myself and pick up the short block and tip it over by myself , if you're including fluids and turbo and exhaust manifold and all ancillaries, then it might push 900

I'll keep yah posted.. any quesitons just pm me or ask in here .. i dont check often, but it will notify me if you post :P

-daniel

Old 09-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Rock Crawling

Will the offset of the rover Diff. work with the dodge running gear? I think the dodge trucks are centered.

Willie

Old 10-05-2008, 11:58 AM
Three Wheeling

You're going to be almost nine hundred pounds heavier in the front. Not going to happen. I drive a 2500 with a Cummins in it - it's an 8000 lb truck with nothing in it. Dodge figured an 11.5" ring gear was OK for the engine. My trans weighs more than the SBC I'm putting in my rockbuggy - by a lot. You also don't have room to cool it - the stock Ram radiator is about three FEET tall...

I do agree that the 6.5 or 6.2 would be a MUCH more likely swap. Bolts to anything GM trans-wise. 4L60, 700 or 350 would be fine. A 205/203 combo might work for a transfer case and doubler box but you'd need to make some measurements.

You're still going to have cooling issues - think custom radiator. Being IDI the 6.2 / 6.5 family runs hot.

You also have a 100% fuel system conversion. Your tach will not work even if you find some way to make the speedo work. Most people severely under-estimate what's required in a diesel swap. It's not a big deal if you're doing a frame - up build or restoration where you -start- with diesel everywhere.

Quick Reply: Turbo diesel swap