Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Winch bumper reconmedation

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 08:35 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch bumper reconmedation

I have a discovery 1. I want a winch bumper. I know arb is the standard. But I want to see if other brand are quality. I was looking at Tactical Rover bumper.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:47 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Other then building your own, RTE makes some of the best f/r bumpers on the market, they are not cheap but boy are they strong.
As for the ARB bumper, it is common place cause it looks great but it has a very weak way of being mounted, especially if you will be doing some H.D. winching over the years, they tend to flex and move a lot.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Another issue with the ARB is that it decreases angle of aproach because it hangs so low. The rovertyme is great and expensive, HLC fab makes nice ones too, and the Tactical rovers way isn't a bad way to go if you like a DOM bumper, i have a terrafirma, only think with mine, along with the safari gard slimline's is that they dont have any head light protection. Not a big deal since d1 head lights are cheap. I'd stay away from ARB unless you come across one cheap. There's a safarigard one on sale right now for a pretty good price. Look in the for sale section

Old 02-13-2012, 11:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

I'll throw in Rockstar Fabrication. They are tube bumpers but I really like my front and should be picking up my rear next week.
I wouldn't say the ARB is the standard. Often times it is a person's first off road bumper and it quickly gets swapped out for something with better approach angle, better mounting, better recovery points, or just plain stronger.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:17 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by olywa
I have a discovery 1. I want a winch bumper. I know arb is the standard. But I want to see if other brand are quality. I was looking at Tactical Rover bumper.
Depending on how much time you have/how much money you're looking to spend.....Perkin's Performance in Puyallup could do it. I got a quote to get one fabbed up before I found my winch tray. They quoted me around $1200 to design and fabricate since it would be a new design as they've never done a Rover before. I'm going to be getting a rear tire carrier for my FJ40 from them eventually, but have no affiliation with them otherwise.

Perkins Performance | Quality | Integrity | Innovation

Old 02-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

im yet to have my ARB flex under winching, and im yet to have it inhibit my approach on any terrain i have wheeled on. i paid $300. i have beat the **** out of it. mowing down trees, breaking thru icy ponds and other good stuff.

Old 02-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Mudding

i hope to find one on craigs list or ebay or on a board. no rush.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
im yet to have my ARB flex under winching, and im yet to have it inhibit my approach on any terrain i have wheeled on. i paid $300. i have beat the **** out of it. mowing down trees, breaking thru icy ponds and other good stuff.
I have had it inhibit. Rubbed it hard enough against a rock face, as I was trying to get the front tires to get on it, to permanently bend it. Didn't think that much pressure had been applied (sounds more like some mild scraping), but it bent. No doubt in my mind a stronger bumper would not have given in.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Equipe Winch bumper reconmedation-equippe.jpg

Old 02-15-2012, 10:25 AM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by olywa
i hope to find one on craigs list or ebay or on a board. no rush.
Rhere was a nice Safari Guard slim line and skid plate on the LRRF yesterday.

Quick Reply: Winch bumper reconmedation